IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

WHO said test test test 6 weeks ago, Boris and his cronies until 2 weeks ago said no it’s not necessary, with deaths soaring and hospitals being stretched, today they have realised what we all new that testing for everyone is the only way forward, since this started this government have never had a viable plan, Boris has always acted like the lovable clown 🤡 the reality is it wasn’t an act he is a fucking clown 🤡 

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

the country you live in had people in similar conditions on Manus Island (might still have them there).  USA has people in Guantanamo in cuba with no trial and torturing them daily.  we still take australia and usa info as credible.  no country is perfect (i'm not saying any of those actions are excuseable, they are not).  

That's whataboutery, Australia has had mandatory detention since the 90's for people arriving without a valid visa. (most of whom have been settled here as soon as their identify and status as refugees could be established) 

That is not analogous to detaining your own citizens and subjecting them to "re-education" because of their religious beliefs and then harvesting the organs of citizens who won't comply.

The US and Australia are taken as credible because they ARE credible, we have multi layered government systems with separation of power and a robust free press. There is no comparison.

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Harvard studies have shown working from home actually increases worker productivity.  I have been petitioning my work (before this crisis) to allow full work from home (i work remote 2 days a week usually) as a way for everyone to be more productive and have better work/life balance.  i'm hoping with this crisis and everyone working from home now they will see the benefits. Thankfully we aren't doing video meetings, just audio, i can understand how video meetings would be awful.  have you seen the tweet going round about the lady who goes to the bathroom during the video meeting not realizing everyone is watching her?  

https://www.inc.com/scott-mautz/new-harvard-research-says-its-time-to-let-employees-work-from-anywhere-the-productivity-gains-alone-are-impressive.html 

We better all agree not to be too productive or they might realise they don't need us all!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Every night at 21h everyone goes to their balconies or front doors to clap and ring bells. 3 weeks of it now but today someone setup their sound system and was belting out an opera piece. Very moving. 

Every night? That would piss me off to be honest; I'm in bed by that time on occasion so someone belting out opera would just piss me off more than I already am. We have the Thursday night 8:00pm applause going on and I've joined in with that, but some of the people in our road are doing an 11.00am "dance" session (to YMCA most recently) which is for me about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I'm not about to go out and complain and people are dealing with this the best way they can for them but honestly it's not something I need to hear.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/coronavirus-adviser-pm-wants-herd-21811857?fbclid=IwAR0WS90UuLMacHEpUTHNtYGyDhLF3SX3gFsFbetdLMzjvpM3Tq6wVN_NzPs

"expert" advisor says government needs to choose between protecting the vulnerable or harming young people.. By harming he means via their parents not working/being able to feed them...

Good to see how the fat right nazi party currently running the shop are gonna frame their neglect/murder. 

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Every night? That would piss me off to be honest; I'm in bed by that time on occasion so someone belting out opera would just piss me off more than I already am. We have the Thursday night 8:00pm applause going on and I've joined in with that, but some of the people in our road are doing an 11.00am "dance" session (to YMCA most recently) which is for me about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I'm not about to go out and complain and people are dealing with this the best way they can for them but honestly it's not something I need to hear.

I was thinking the same, my kids are in bed by then.

As the lockdown continues and starts working on peoples nerves more and more, stuff like that, which seems well intended, could really explode into a neighbourhood conflict.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

Y’ald misery. 5 mins every night. The only reason I hear it is because I go to the party deck (our kind of open air loft) to join in. We’re in a very old house so the walls are incredibly thick

1 hour ago, holystove said:

I was thinking the same, my kids are in bed by then.

As the lockdown continues and starts working on peoples nerves more and more, stuff like that, which seems well intended, could really explode into a neighbourhood conflict.

Mine too but she sleeps like the dead. 

No chance of conflict here. They shout their goodbyes and jokes out of the window, someone’s has improvised a drum kit to accompany the trombone and Alpanhorn. 5 mins of joviality seems to be bringing people together more and keeping spirits up. 

On 03/04/2020 at 18:40, Hafnia said:

I'm not usually politically vocal but the coronavirus and the government's appalling handling of it all has made my blood boil.

Essentially as it stands the nhs workers are being told to risk their lives because they aren't valued by our government. Plain and simple.

They have downgraded the severity of the disease in order to ensure they can't be prosecuted for not providing the correct level of protection. 

Great Ormond street hospital has 8 covid patients and have 10 times as many staff who have tested positive. This disease is being caught and spread due to nothing less than manslaughter..... before long there will be no healthy staff to look after patients.

Stay inside everyone.  It really is getting horrendous. 

So for clarity, how are you putting responsibility for this with the elected reps and not the people paid to run the NHS?

I know this is a novel virus but in terms of infectious diseases its fairly low down the ladder, surely medical professionals should know what precautions to take?

27 minutes ago, Chach said:

So for clarity, how are you putting responsibility for this with the elected reps and not the people paid to run the NHS?

I know this is a novel virus but in terms of infectious diseases its fairly low down the ladder, surely medical professionals should know what precautions to take?

Only possible if you have the budget to have precautions planned, let alone resourced. 

Meanwhile, I saw there’s a report that the virus has gone from human to animal (a tiger apparently). If this has gotten into the wildlife, it’s not going away ever. 

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

Only possible if you have the budget to have precautions planned, let alone resourced. 

That planning could be done within general business as usual risk management it wouldn't require its own budget, it wouldn't even be that big a piece of work in the context of a health system bureaucracy that large. If that work hasn't been done then it's almost certainly a failure of management and I don't see how you can immediately blame the government even though they must take ultimate responsibility.

The Blair government threw money at the NHS left right and centre, was there a pandemic management  plan then? 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Meanwhile, I saw there’s a report that the virus has gone from human to animal (a tiger apparently). If this has gotten into the wildlife, it’s not going away ever. 

Last week they found an infected cat in Belgium; got it from its owner.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/belgium-all-news/103003/coronavirus-belgian-woman-infected-her-cat/

1 hour ago, Chach said:

Shit runs from top to bottom.  If middle management comply with the shit from the top in order to fit with budget then they are failing their staff.  This isn't new.... the nhs and the workers close to the frontline have been highlighting these issues for years. 

Like any business you will get "yes merchants" who want to stay in favour of their bosses and don't rock the boat and get paid.

I know for a fact that voices are not heard.  The PPE is an absolute joke - the government downgraded the rating of the disease to fit in with the lack of ppe. It's criminal. 

18 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Shit runs from top to bottom.  If middle management comply with the shit from the top in order to fit with budget then they are failing their staff.  This isn't new.... the nhs and the workers close to the frontline have been highlighting these issues for years. 

Like any business you will get "yes merchants" who want to stay in favour of their bosses and don't rock the boat and get paid.

I know for a fact that voices are not heard.  The PPE is an absolute joke - the government downgraded the rating of the disease to fit in with the lack of ppe. It's criminal. 

But with regards to occupational health and safety the people who have control of workplace would and should take responsibility with duty of care going down the line. We're not talking about some labourers working with a building product they don't know causes cancer in this instance, these are all university educated people.

It's not like this was a surprise, we were all watching China for a couple of months.

Do you have a source for the downgrading of the disease?

4 hours ago, Chach said:

That planning could be done within general business as usual risk management it wouldn't require its own budget, it wouldn't even be that big a piece of work in the context of a health system bureaucracy that large. If that work hasn't been done then it's almost certainly a failure of management and I don't see how you can immediately blame the government even though they must take ultimate responsibility.

The Blair government threw money at the NHS left right and centre, was there a pandemic management  plan then? 

Could be done, yes, but any business like structures will do a risk assessment and the chance of a pandemic is minute so it will never have seen the table for discussion. The budget part I was referring to was hardware more than people power and most of the work is now suffering from not investing in either

the fact that this is jumping species, especially domesticated animals is the scariest news I’ve read in a while, there is now zero chance of escaping it. I can see lockdown continuing until a vaccine is developed, mass-produced and everyone treated. 

6 hours ago, Chach said:

But with regards to occupational health and safety the people who have control of workplace would and should take responsibility with duty of care going down the line. We're not talking about some labourers working with a building product they don't know causes cancer in this instance, these are all university educated people.

It's not like this was a surprise, we were all watching China for a couple of months.

Yep.... below

6 hours ago, Chach said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid