IGNORED

Landon Donovan

He could give the squad the much needed boost they need, he is a very positive minded individual, I recall a while back him rightly questioning Beckhams commitment - let's hope he can shake Louis into a response.

I just hope the club don't try and propoganda this into some sort of "aren't we great, blah blah blah" - we are way down on numbers, we are in need of the squad being strengthened seriously. But yes, step one - all good, let's just hope it isn't the only one.

In total agreement with you Haf...

I dont think he will be any improvement to us tbh, not as fast as Coleman, and no ball playing midfielder to bring out the best of him.

I think he could play inside alongside the striker in place of Cahill, and leave Coleman where he is. Just my opinion.

I agree with you on the replace Cahill with Donovan thing, but I also believe that he would do a better job than Coleman on the wing. Hi might not be as fast. (i dont actually know if he is or not, never seen a race between the two, I know he was pretty fast a couple of years ago) but I do believe that he is better in a one on one situation than Coleman. Coleman seems to get stuck on the defender more often than he should to be honest. He turns back a lot to try and find Hibbo for a one two. Should also be able to beat his defender on his own. Thats what I think Donovan will bring to the table. Just one more dimension.

I like the sound of Donovan in Cahills position tho. Possibly Magaye on the left and Drenthe on the right? Hibbo has done well recently so Coleman on the bench.

I think we do need him on the wing. He's got pace and he can cross. I would love to see Rodwell-Barkley-Fellaini in midfield and Drenthe-Saha-Donovan as attackers.

This. Im just worried that the expectation will get to him or he will under-perform for some other reason. Hopefully not though smile.png

Would that mean we play 433?! :o

Edited by Matt

Would you drop Coleman?

I can't see any reason to give him the Right Back position, as Hibbert is in good form.

Yes, I would drop Coleman. I really don't see any reason to guarantee him a spot in the starting XI ahead of any of the players I mentioned. His stats this season (0 goals, 0 assists in 900 minutes) are way below par for a wide player.

I think we do need him on the wing. He's got pace and he can cross. I would love to see Rodwell-Barkley-Fellaini in midfield and Drenthe-Saha-Donovan as attackers.

That really does make me a little bit excited. It looks the perfect blend of power, pace and skill... I wouldnt get your hopes up of it actually happening though!

Edited by Bailey

Sharp was on the radio this morning, he did'nt seem to fussed about this.

I would have to say I agree with him to a degree

Whilst I am glad he is coming back I definitely think people are looking at it through rose tinted glasses. When he was here last time he did do well in patches and I do think his sheer presence will give the place a lift. But I dont think he was anywhere near as good as people seem to think.

There was some games when he was totally innefective and I will never forget that sitter he missed from a couple of inches out

I really hope it works out for him but Im not getting too carried away

Whilst I am glad he is coming back I definitely think people are looking at it through rose tinted glasses. When he was here last time he did do well in patches and I do think his sheer presence will give the place a lift. But I dont think he was anywhere near as good as people seem to think.

There was some games when he was totally innefective and I will never forget that sitter he missed from a couple of inches out - against Fulham

Quite agree dunc, i don't think his stats are actually that great from what i can remember, but he will lift the whole team no doubt about it, but i was looking at the Buffoon Union FB page this morning, and you would think we had signed Messi the way some are going on about him, when i dared to suggest people maybe jumping the gun slightly......well im sure you can imagine the respones i got.

There was some games when he was totally innefective and I will never forget that sitter he missed from a couple of inches out

Totally agree with you Dunc.

And, Donovan is only going to be a good signing for us this time around if he's supplemented by at least a couple more signings. If he is the only player we bring in then we're still going to be having the same problems we are now.

Im more and more convinced after the game yesterday that Landon should take Cahills place. Magaye on left and Drenthe on the right.

You just know that Cahill will be starting on Wednesday though don't you? And when Donovan comes he'll be playing on the right while Cahill still plays behind Saha, doing nothing.

For me, he was a decent acquisition last time around, and played great in some matches, and so so in others. I'm glad he is returning, as it's 'another' first 11 body in our squad, and another option for Moyes. I have a sneaky feeling that he is here with a view to stay, and not just on loan.

I think Donovan would love to stay full-time, but the MLS wouldn't be willing to sell him. He's a marketing gold-mine over here because of his heroics with the national team. If they would've known that Clint Dempsey was going to be such a good player, they probably wouldn't have sold him to Fulham. However, I also think Dempsey was at the end of his contract.

Regardless, I'm very excited about Donovan coming back on loan. Donovan thrives on confidence. The Everton fans said goodbye to him in a way that left a very positive feeling, and I believe he'll come back with that same feeling, thus allowing him to thrive. Time to bust out the Donovan-Everton Jersey. yay.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have read this morning that David Beckham is urging Frank Lampard to join LA Galaxy. With Robbie Keane, David Beckham (who they hope will re-sign on a rolling 12 month deal), Landon Donovan and possibly Lampard they will have to find a way around the designated player rules

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4029832/Chelsea-transfer-shock-David-Beckham-tells-Frank-Lampard-to-join-LA-Galaxy.html

Lampard could go to a few clubs because its obvious that he still has the talent. I read that article that you posted and it said that Frank has been sparking interest from both Paris Saint Germain and Real Madrid, so if he dosen't get into LA Galaxy for whatever reason I can see him moving to either one of those two clubs. I can't see David Beckham moving away from Galaxy if he's urging his England team-mates to come to the United States with him and I'm thinking that's maybe where he will end his career.

I can see where Donovan is coming from. If he comes back and fails to score, fails to make an impact and is generally as shit as Louis Saha's left bollock then he's going to be critisised and remembered for being a one hit wonder. I can see how he may be a little worried about playing for us but I believe that he will do well, he is more than good enough and I think he will fit in and become just as good he was two years ago.

The same is with Thierry Henry in my opinion, if he comes back to Arsenal and ends up being a flop then he will lose some of that 'star' status that he has within the club at the moment, its like Michael Schumacher too in Formula 1, when he retired he was one of the greatest racing drivers in the world with more trophies than you could shake a stick at and when he came back with Mercedes he is just another driver in the field not really doing anything to write home about. People will always have that star status like Henry and Schumi but sometimes coming back for more can not be a good thing.

I can see where Donovan is coming from. If he comes back and fails to score, fails to make an impact and is generally as shit as Louis Saha's left bollock then he's going to be critisised and remembered for being a one hit wonder. I can see how he may be a little worried about playing for us but I believe that he will do well, he is more than good enough and I think he will fit in and become just as good he was two years ago.

The same is with Thierry Henry in my opinion, if he comes back to Arsenal and ends up being a flop then he will lose some of that 'star' status that he has within the club at the moment, its like Michael Schumacher too in Formula 1, when he retired he was one of the greatest racing drivers in the world with more trophies than you could shake a stick at and when he came back with Mercedes he is just another driver in the field not really doing anything to write home about. People will always have that star status like Henry and Schumi but sometimes coming back for more can not be a good thing.

I think 'small minded' fans might think like that, but it would take a very harsh fan indeed to doubt Henri regarding greatness. He was a blessing to the Prem. As for Donovan, if we are honest, much of the hype is romance. He was decent, but he wasn't 'incredible'. I'll be glad if he is 'decent' again.

• 4 months later...

I would love to see Donovan back for another loan spell or even permanent. But I am biased in that I like Americans in the Prem league. He has some good years left. He fits well with the squad.

I'd have him back for sure! I hope he still wants to come her permanently when his Galaxy contract ends.

I think one of the main reasons he stays in LA is because it is easy and comfortable for him. His family and friends are close, weather is perfect, MLS is an easier league, LA Galaxy are considered top dogs. But if he wants a challenge and to advance his career he should move to Everton permanently. He had a few bad permanent spells in Germany but I think he would do well under a full season in the Prem League. Besides playing in the MLS has stagnated his game, you can tell when he plays for the US national team, he played much better for the USA after a loan spell in England. Or at least I thought his experience at Everton hightened his game.

Donovan didn't do so well second time around, so I'm not sure he can have the impact we would like.

I guess his arrival does give the fans and squad a boost, and it's always nice to hear a player actually wants to come back.

Maybe just having him at Everton brings in the fans from the USA (as we've seen) which can only be a good thing.