IGNORED

Apostolos Vellios

Shame. You have to wonder if Vellios will leave on a free, and if one day, he will be thinking "Did I really have my best go at making it? Did I put in 100% effort and do my best to be a Premier League footballer?" ... All signs point to him leaving on a free and hooking up with a lower-half Championship side, or playing in a "lesser" league somewhere in Europe. Maybe he goes back to one of the bigger clubs in Greece.

I can see him being another Jutkiewicz (sp?) who fizzled out and ended up playing for Boro. Whenever I've seen him he's been great and I really want him to do well at Everton - it's defiantly a strange one, hopefully it's been taken out of context.

Edit: The actual quote from Martinez isn't as sinister as the journalists are making out;

“Going out on loan is something we’re going to assess, but going down the line it comes down to if the player is open to do that, and in the past it doesn’t seem like that was something he was ready to consider.

“Tolis has got the potential to be a terrific number nine. He’s good in the air, strong, powerful and has good link up play and mobility. He’s at the stage now where he needs to be playing 90 minutes.”

Edited by Zoo

Assuming what Martinez is saying is objectively true, I don't like this at all. The fact that he feels he is better suited collecting his paycheck and fucking around with the reserves than going out on loan, improving his craft, and proving something to Martinez and others doesn't indicate someone who is motivated to be the player he can be. That's not to say I think he doesn't give a shit, but it makes me question if he has the attitude needed to compete at this level. Talent is enough to let you be a good striker in League One or a middling Championship team but it takes a hell of a lot more than raw ability to be a quality striker for a mid-table or higher EPL team. I'd cut my losses.

Is it his way of saying... "Kone is out, I can do better than Jelavic so play me or the only way I will leave is on my terms"

I'll be brutally honest, I would sooner see him up front than Jelavic...

I doubt it. By the sound of what Martinez was saying Vellios hasn't wanted to go out for a long time, i.e. during Moyes' time here - "in the past it doesn't seem like that was something he was ready to consider."

He's a fool for not wanting to go out on loan, can't understand it at all.

Is it his way of saying... "Kone is out, I can do better than Jelavic so play me or the only way I will leave is on my terms"

Right now, at least. I was thinking we'd be seeing him soon after a couple of season ago when he was a super-sub. He disappeared somewhere when Moyes was in charge, and no one knows why.

Hard to put a specific timeline on everything (unless I'm just an idiot and misread the article) but I get the impression that the suggestion of a loan came well before news of Kone's long-term injury. Like, around the transfer deadline.

Guest blueboy122

There's no way I would be loaning him out anywhere now. I think he can do a job for us, he's eager so will get at people, get in their faces because he is eager to impress Roberto. He's a big strong boy so can handle himself, good in the air etc.

I know if I was a centre half and after playing against Lukaku for 60-70 minutes I certainly wouldn't want to be playing a fresh eager 6ft 2 youngster with a point to prove.. that's my opinion.

I am all for Tollis getting minutes. I can maybe sympathise with him because when he see's Jelly on the bench and warming up and getting some minutes he must be thinking I can do better than that.

He deserves his chance in my opinion, I would like to see Roberto say..."Right you have been banging on the door, so get out there am giving you 20 minutes half an hour lets see what you can do"

I doubt it. By the sound of what Martinez was saying Vellios hasn't wanted to go out for a long time, i.e. during Moyes' time here - "in the past it doesn't seem like that was something he was ready to consider."

He's a fool for not wanting to go out on loan, can't understand it at all.

agree this has been going on for a while. However, I can understand why he hasn't wanted to go out on loan. The lad has scored a handful of goals and looked good in his cameos, why shouldn't he expect a go at the highest level?

I guess it's a question of what level Everton want him loaned out to. If it's League 2, why would he want to go? If he goes anywhere, it should be to a lower Prem or promotion chasing Championship team. I think someone like Palace would do him good but would still rather he got a chance with us. I still think he's got what it takes...

agree this has been going on for a while. However, I can understand why he hasn't wanted to go out on loan. The lad has scored a handful of goals and looked good in his cameos, why shouldn't he expect a go at the highest level?

Because he wasn't being played, rightly or wrongly, so he should want game time to prove that he deserves to play here.

I guess it's a question of what level Everton want him loaned out to. If it's League 2, why would he want to go? If he goes anywhere, it should be to a lower Prem or promotion chasing Championship team. I think someone like Palace would do him good but would still rather he got a chance with us. I still think he's got what it takes...

I was thinking more mid-level Championship would be the ideal level to loan him to. ex: Derby, Leeds, Blackburn, etc... maybe even a lower tier Championship side. He needs to go somewhere where he could definitely get 90 minutes every week. Remember, we loaned Barkley to a struggling Sheffield Wednesday and it did him a world of good.

I was thinking more mid-level Championship would be the ideal level to loan him to. ex: Derby, Leeds, Blackburn, etc... maybe even a lower tier Championship side. He needs to go somewhere where he could definitely get 90 minutes every week. Remember, we loaned Barkley to a struggling Sheffield Wednesday and it did him a world of good.

only reason I want him playing as close to Premier league standard is so he's pushed, so he can come in and make a difference. Barkleys loan did him some good, but I look at Coleman going to Blackpool and the difference was that Coleman went into the first team, Barkely didn't.

It's ok saying he deserves his chance... But why does he?

He's not banging goals in for the reserves is he? In fact he's been pretty anonymous for the last twelve months.

I also remember him getting a few decent runs after his goals and he looked average at best. It would be nice to see a youngster coke through and make it, but because they earnt the right and are good enough.

Velios unfortunately has not done anything to deserve a chance for us.

It's ok saying he deserves his chance... But why does he?

He's not banging goals in for the reserves is he? In fact he's been pretty anonymous for the last twelve months.

I also remember him getting a few decent runs after his goals and he looked average at best. It would be nice to see a youngster coke through and make it, but because they earnt the right and are good enough.

Velios unfortunately has not done anything to deserve a chance for us.

he was banging them in, I remember him getting a hat trick in one game. It seems his stubbornness has seen him drop out of favour. If the boss is noticing something in him, then maybe theres hope yet, so long as he pulls his finger out!

Im not sure I would encourage drug use thought :P

edit:

1. I didnt mean to vote for my own post (though I am awesome, so its justified :unsure:)

2. Maybe we should all get on twitter and badger Tolis into going out on loan?

Edited by Matt

haha ye maybe i should read my posts before posting!

He has had a few games where he has scored but generally even when he has started for the U21s he hasnt been very prolific or even consistent. i keep quite a close eye on our young lads and U21s and have to admit that i have been dissapointed with Velios after so much early promise.

Maybe he needs that kick up the backside? maybe he needs a kind arm on his shoulder, i dont know. All i do know is that his future is in his own hands, he is the only one that can prove himself. and by not getting into the U21 team he needs football and going out on loan makes sense.

Come on Tolis sort your head out and go and earn your stripes.

• 2 months later...