IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2018/09/20/nevin-on-sigurdsson

He has to get on the ball more for this to be a reality. For me, he hides too much.

I thought he was hiding a lot against West Ham after they scored. I hate to say that about a player too, but there were times Morgan and Gana had the ball and he was stood behind a defender instead of looking for the pass. Was very disappointed in him. Play him next to Morgan and see what happens. 

13 minutes ago, nogs said:

Lots of flak gets thrown at Gana, Davies and Schneiderlin (yes from me) on this forum. Sigurdsson didn't look worth half his £45m price tag on Sunday. In danger of becoming yet another very expensive mistake. 

big gylfi fan here and yet i agree with you, to be honest i'm just not sure he is the right fit for the style of play Marco wants.

2 hours ago, nogs said:

Lots of flak gets thrown at Gana, Davies and Schneiderlin (yes from me) on this forum. Sigurdsson didn't look worth half his £45m price tag on Sunday. In danger of becoming yet another very expensive mistake. 

I'd agree with you on that, I don't think we've ever seen him turn in a brilliant performance yet, granted last season was a disaster, but he really needs to step up his game soon IMO

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Don't think about the price tag. Everyone knows it was massively inflated and not a true representation of his value, so it's even more irrelevant than normal to use it in criticism of a player

i'm not, i just don't think he fits Marco's system regardless of price.  i think Marco wants more pace, like he has on the wings and with the fullbacks and when he plays DCL with the forward.  Gylfi is the weak link there (regarding speed/acceleration).  Even the CM have pace in davies and gana.  but maybe i don't know how Silva wants to play, who knows.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Don't think about the price tag. Everyone knows it was massively inflated and not a true representation of his value, so it's even more irrelevant than normal to use it in criticism of a player

Perfectly valid to criticise the club for paying it though.

15 hours ago, nogs said:

Perfectly valid to criticise the club for paying it though.

Absolutely. 

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm not, i just don't think he fits Marco's system regardless of price.  i think Marco wants more pace, like he has on the wings and with the fullbacks and when he plays DCL with the forward.  Gylfi is the weak link there (regarding speed/acceleration).  Even the CM have pace in davies and gana.  but maybe i don't know how Silva wants to play, who knows.

I know mate, I just keep seeing it mentioned and it sometimes seems an criticism against him is all I was getting at. 

He needs to be played further back with some free reign 

Prior to coming here he was top of the pile for distance covered and making runs in many games and he can't do that here with the system we use and the players we have it's far to tight further up for us than he's previously had it  

He covers distance makes runs and can play the ball as well as anyone given the space and scores the vast majority of his goals running the ball to the edge of the box 

I'd try him centrally and get him to pick the ball up from Gana and go from there, he's more positive and has more about his game than both Davies and Morgan 

6 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

He needs to be played further back with some free reign 

Prior to coming here he was top of the pile for distance covered and making runs in many games and he can't do that here with the system we use and the players we have it's far to tight further up for us than he's previously had it  

He covers distance makes runs and can play the ball as well as anyone given the space and scores the vast majority of his goals running the ball to the edge of the box 

I'd try him centrally and get him to pick the ball up from Gana and go from there, he's more positive and has more about his game than both Davies and Morgan 

It’s worth ago, as currently we are not utilising him at all. 

22 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It'll be all good and well playing him deeper to utilise him but I think the bigger problem is him utilising himself.

I also agree with that though he does need to step up to the plate far more often, if he's given a slightly different role and still does that for the most part then it will be very telling 

"The playmaker also made an incredible five key passes throughout the match - which becomes an even more surprising number given the fact the Icelandic international only attempted 24 passes in general during the 90 minutes. "

Taken from the Echo piece that Dunc posted in the Gana thread.

This line sums up my issue with Gylfi and what I have said about his performances in recent weeks. When he does get on the ball he is using it well and he is being productive but a playmaker only making 24 passes in a home game against a newly promoted side is too low. In comparison, Siggy has made on average 21.43 passes per game this season and yet Maddison has made 43.29. Maddison has also had 1 more shot and been more accurate with them (Siggy has scored from all 3 shots on target).

32 minutes ago, patto said:

Too much negativity on here regarding Siggy that's because he cost 45m that's not his fault but he is easily the best midfielder and most productive we have and this year he is fitter I said a few weeks ago he needs quality with him. 

I see he praised Bernard for his quality that's what we need. 

Think it's more that he's never on the ball and stats show he makes very little from open play. Part the blame should go on the two behind him in midfield for not finding him more but he's more reactive than pro active in his runs so has to saddle some flak. 

If we’d have paid £20 million for him nobody would be questioning him. I see it on Twitter all the time “ he needs to start living up to his price tag” why?? Fid he ask to be sold for that much money, is it his fault we overpaid massively for him, is it his fault he walked into the middle of a shit storm? The lad is easily one of outlr best players and one of the few who gives you hope that we can do something a bit special when we are struggling or need to pull a rabbit out the hat.

He shouldn’t be on pens though.

Poor penalty, but two sublime finishes for his goals, for his first MOTD had one camera angle immediately behind him, the curve on the ball is beautiful as it threads its way through the rowdies area in the net, and on the 2nd the goalie or rooted to the spot and isn'ttt able to make any attempt to save it.

I hate the price tag issue, but for £15m more than Bolassie he look,s a bargain in comparison.

3 hours ago, Paddock said:

If we’d have paid £20 million for him nobody would be questioning him. I see it on Twitter all the time “ he needs to start living up to his price tag” why?? Fid he ask to be sold for that much money, is it his fault we overpaid massively for him, is it his fault he walked into the middle of a shit storm? The lad is easily one of outlr best players and one of the few who gives you hope that we can do something a bit special when we are struggling or need to pull a rabbit out the hat.

He shouldn’t be on pens though.

While his price tag was ridiculous (especially as we'd already brought two other number 10s in at that point) that's not my issue with him. My issue is him just living up to being what he was brought in for. And that's to be a focal point of our attack and I don't feel he involves himself in the game enough. He's shown that when he does involve himself that he can be exactly what we need and a huge influence for us. And it shouldn't only happen if the whole team is playing well. His role is to lead the others, not the other way around. He is supposed to get the rest playing well. That's what frustrates me. 

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Poor penalty, but two sublime finishes for his goals, for his first MOTD had one camera angle immediately behind him, the curve on the ball is beautiful as it threads its way through the rowdies area in the net, and on the 2nd the goalie or rooted to the spot and isn'ttttt able to make any attempt to save it.

I hate the price tag issue, but for £15m more than Bolassie he look,s a bargain in comparison.

I watched it all the way in and it was as beautiful as the replays make it look. My reaction was literally "wow".