IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

20 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

While his price tag was ridiculous (especially as we'd already brought two other number 10s in at that point) that's not my issue with him. My issue is him just living up to being what he was brought in for. And that's to be a focal point of our attack and I don't feel he involves himself in the game enough. He's shown that when he does involve himself that he can be exactly what we need and a huge influence for us. And it shouldn't only happen if the whole team is playing well. His role is to lead the others, not the other way around. He is supposed to get the rest playing well. That's what frustrates me. 

I watched it all the way in and it was as beautiful as the replays make it look. My reaction was literally "wow".

His job should be to play the 10 role you can’t count the time under Koeman or Allerdyce as he’s was played out of position regularly or was playing in a team set up not to lose. This season will be his big test and I think so far he’s done well.

1 hour ago, Paddock said:

His job should be to play the 10 role you can’t count the time under Koeman or Allerdyce as he’s was played out of position regularly or was playing in a team set up not to lose. This season will be his big test and I think so far he’s done well.

By lead the others I don't mean in a Roy Keane way. I mean he's supposed to be the conductor of the team as the no. 10, he gets the rest playing to his tune. That's what he was brought in for.

Like I say, I don't feel he does it often enough and actually hides during games. That's where my frustration lies with him, nothing to do with how much he cost.

On 01/10/2018 at 09:40, Romey 1878 said:

While his price tag was ridiculous (especially as we'd already brought two other number 10s in at that point) that's not my issue with him. My issue is him just living up to being what he was brought in for. And that's to be a focal point of our attack and I don't feel he involves himself in the game enough. He's shown that when he does involve himself that he can be exactly what we need and a huge influence for us. And it shouldn't only happen if the whole team is playing well. His role is to lead the others, not the other way around. He is supposed to get the rest playing well. That's what frustrates me.

Completely agree.

There is no doubt that he has quality and when he gets on the ball he will show it more often than not but he just doesnt get on the ball enough. Whether that is due to the player or due to the tactics is open for debate.

13 hours ago, Paddock said:

That’s what he’s capable of. What a fucking goal- sent the Maddison for the Echo and bang. Quality goal.

I wonder if maddison went out last night giving it the big one?  "Do you know who I am"...... 

"Errr.  Are you that prick that got sent to Scotland by gylfi this afternoon? You got back quick"

with proper players around him look what he can do.  bernard and him were doing little one two's all day and this is just the start.  bernard and richarlison are able to be creative and pass well and that seems to help gylfi express himself.  sadly the weak link is walcott.  anyone have a brazilian with a contract expiring that can play on the right?

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

with proper players around him look what he can do.  bernard and him were doing little one two's all day and this is just the start.  bernard and richarlison are able to be creative and pass well and that seems to help gylfi express himself.  sadly the weak link is walcott.  anyone have a brazilian with a contract expiring that can play on the right?

No, but brands knows Lozano well. he’s been playing RW this season and racking up goals and assists.

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

What makes you think Theo is the weak link?

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

His selfishness.  Had a wide open Bernard and wide open richarlison on two breakaways, he kept it on both and muffed it.  They were both wife open on goal.  As I mentioned in the Theo thread he’s too selfish.  

How about when he tried to play in Tosun when he could have ran in and got a shot away himself? 

No one seems bothered when Richarlison has a shot that goes no where when not even looking if a pass isn’t on at times. 

I really don’t see the issue with Theo at all. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

How about when he tried to play in Tosun when he could have ran in and got a shot away himself? 

No one seems bothered when Richarlison has a shot that goes no where when not even looking if a pass isn’t on at times. 

the one centre half he had to beat positioned himself 6 yards ahead of him in direct line with the goal....  tosun was completely unmarked, onside and effectively one on one with a keeper.   If he tried to do anything other than pass to Cenk it would have been the most ridiculous selfish decision I've seen. Not passing was not an option and probably would have got him subbed

His decision to make the pass that he did was 1. It was just awful. A bad pass.

2. He actually expected Cenk to step back and play a return pass and play him through.... the only way he could have thought that was a good idea is if he thought a player was marking Cenk. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

He expected.... wow! Haf can read minds now. I wonder if you can read what I’m thinking?

I can read your mind no better than you can read my posts. 

The clue in my post is that the pass was down to one of two things .... 1. It was just a bad pass. 2. He intended to pass it where he did to give the angle for a give and go and get a return pass 

If you can think of any alternative permutations to how his mind could have been working then feel free.  It doesn't however change the outcome. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

Its a good point because Richie is similar but Richie is a young kid who works his arse off every game both covering ground (like Walcott) but also in putting in physical challenges (not like Walcott).

When you buy a player like Walcott at his age, I expect his decision making to be better. You could take Walcott out of this side and I dont think you would miss him that much whereas Richarlison would be a big miss, and probably Bernard too when he is fully wound up.

Its not a massive issue, but things are starting to look promising again so I need to have a moan about something! :)

12 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Its a good point because Richie is similar but Richie is a young kid who works his arse off every game both covering ground (like Walcott) but also in putting in physical challenges (not like Walcott).

When you buy a player like Walcott at his age, I expect his decision making to be better. You could take Walcott out of this side and I dont think you would miss him that much whereas Richarlison would be a big miss, and probably Bernard too when he is fully wound up.

Its not a massive issue, but things are starting to look promising again so I need to have a moan about something! :)

i was just going to type up the same thing.  age and effort show why it's ok for richarlison and not walcott.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.football365.com/news/top-ten-best-premier-league-tactical-decisions-this-season

This put a smile on my face

6) Everton’s faith in Sigurdsson as a No. 10
“For me, Gylfi has been trudging away outside on the left side, so play him in the position he wants to play and see what he can do,” said Sam Allardyce last season. But while Allardyce could see there was a clear and obvious problem, he lacked the patience to fix it with the clear and obvious solution: Play Sigurdsson consistently as a No. 10. Marco Silva showed no such hesitation and Sigurdsson is finally thriving in a medium-sized pond.

Sigurdsson’s productivity has been astonishing. He sits alongside David Silva and Willian – and ahead of Eden Hazard – in a list of Premier League players who have created the most chances this season. He may have become one-third of a punchline about Ronald Koeman’s penchant for slow No. 10s last season, but who needs pace when you have Richarlison to your left and Theo Walcott to your right? The square peg is in the square hole and the round pegs are rather happy about the service.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, StevO said:

Maybe Bernard will get a run in the number ten position?

Im not sure. I would be very worried about his size in physical games up against CBs and DMs. He gets brushed off the ball by FBs at the moment, I think he needs more time to adapt. 

I wonder if Silva might try Dowell.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Im not sure. I would be very worried about his size in physical games up against CBs and DMs. He gets brushed off the ball by FBs at the moment, I think he needs more time to adapt. 

I wonder if Silva might try Dowell.

I still don’t get the size argument. Silva thrives in the centre, Mata, Hazard too. Using your lower centre of gravity can be as effective as strength sometimes.