IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

City play a more 4141 compared to our 4411. 

What we ask from Sigurdssen (AM pressing from the front) is probs closest to what Jota does for Wolves (although they play a 3511). Sigurdssen probably has more overall quality than him but I'd swap them in a heartbeat as Jota has the right attributes for the system Silva is trying to implement. 

Potentially even say Liverpool have a similar system with the pressing and wingers but they forfeit the AM altogether to allow for the midfielders to get more possession. 

I don't know if you watched the game today but out of possession they played the same 442 shape we do with De Bruyne and Aguero starting to defend from the front. 

The difference is when they attack De Bruyne moves into an inside right channel between the full back and centre back and then Gundogan played from deeper but he was essentially doing the same from the left but more centrally. When Silva came he attacked the left hand channel and KDB dropped deeper to play more how Gundogan played earlier in the game.

I have no problem with how Siggy defends, I think he does it well but he just isn't involved in attack. He plays a lot more centrally, and both he and DCL seem to be playing on the same lines especially with Bernard and Richarlison playing as inside forwards rather than staying wide to create more space. At City you can have 5 men in the front line: 

Sterling - Gundogan - Aguero - KDB - Silva

Then you have Rodri behind and the full backs who overlap depending on the situation. Loads of passing options and very difficult to mark. 

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't know if you watched the game today but out of possession they played the same 442 shape we do with De Bruyne and Aguero starting to defend from the front. 

The difference is when they attack De Bruyne moves into an inside right channel between the full back and centre back and then Gundogan played from deeper but he was essentially doing the same from the left but more centrally. When Silva came he attacked the left hand channel and KDB dropped deeper to play more how Gundogan played earlier in the game.

I have no problem with how Siggy defends, I think he does it well but he just isn't involved in attack. He plays a lot more centrally, and both he and DCL seem to be playing on the same lines especially with Bernard and Richarlison playing as inside forwards rather than staying wide to create more space. At City you can have 5 men in the front line: 

Sterling - Gundogan - Aguero - KDB - Silva

Then you have Rodri behind and the full backs who overlap depending on the situation. Loads of passing options and very difficult to mark. 

No, only seen the replays of the goals. The handball was very harsh. Gutted to hear Gundogan started, was hoping he'd struggle to get a game with De Bruyne being back and we could swoop in. 

That's in essence what I'm saying with the 4141, they have a flat four midfielders in front of the DM. Whereas we are a flat four with an AM in front 4411. 

16 hours ago, StevO said:

He was very quiet today. 

You say this like it's something out of the norm. He's quiet 90% of the time. 

It's frustrating because when he does show something you can see the quality he's got, but he's just far too passive and he drifts through games (and seems happy to do it).

Siggy had 31 touches yesterday.  Thats less than Richarlison who didn't finish the game and it's 15 less than Bernard. I just checked some of the times and 5 of Siggys touches were after 93 mins.

I know the comparison is limited but KDB touched the ball 79 times for City, more than Gundogan and Rodri (the latter was subbed). Thats similar to Bernardo Silva but around 25 more than Sterling. 

The other thing I noted was that DCL had 21 touches yet Kean had 13. 

Just now, Bailey said:

Siggy had 31 touches yesterday.  Thats less than Richarlison who didn't finish the game and it's 15 less than Bernard. 

I know the comparison is limited but KDB touched the ball 79 times for City, more than Gundogan and Rodri (the latter was subbed). Thats similar to Bernardo Silva but around 25 more than Sterling. 

The other thing I noted was that DCL had 21 touches yet Kean had 13. 

(More to come)

And kdb set up two goals. Gilfi isn’t contributing enough. 

I hope I don't get shot defending Siggy here.

Its clear he isn't in the game enough and that's partly due to his lack of pace IMO, but mainly to do with the way that we set up. He isn't being implemented as a 'playmaker' and therefore isn't the main focal point of our attack, which is the wings. He struggles to get on the ball because we play so wide. 

He wants to get on the edge of the box in space to look for the long shots when possible, and arrive late the in the area to get on the end of things. 

He doesn't invade space to create for others as much as he looks to invade space to find an opportunity for himself. 

We can't slam him for not getting on the ball enough when the team clearly don't play to get him on the ball at all. 

He is good at what he does and silva seems forced to play him due to the goal threat he offers. Once they dry up, I'd imagine he will be dropped and silva will go to a more flat 3 in midfield. 

By the way, silva has got much more out of Gylfi than any other Everton manager before him has. I doubt anyone would have come in and dropped a player of his calibre, and id imagine the board would have expected a return on their investment in him which would force any managers hand. 

More to the point, if dom isn't scoring someone behind him has to, without Gylfi last season God only knows where we would have finished. 

9 hours ago, Finn balor said:

And kdb set up two goals. Gilfi isn’t contributing enough. 

Gylfi could have easily had 2 assists yesterday too. Richarlison should have finished both free headers.

I agree, his performance was poor, but I doubt we’d be talking about it had Richarlison done his job and we’d won 3-0.

18 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Gylfi could have easily had 2 assists yesterday too. Richarlison should have finished both free headers.

I agree, his performance was poor, but I doubt we’d be talking about it had Richarlison done his job and we’d won 3-0.

Even if he does it only masks over the problem. We're not gonna go very far carrying such a luxury. For the most part a striker can get away with scoring goals and not doing much else but a midfielder needs to be getting in the ball more, helping the team more. We were over run in the second half and needed a more intelligent or faster player to ease the pressure on the defense. 

18 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the ball doesn't go through the middle, we play it out to the flanks and then bring in a cross.  when we play more on the counter we play through the middle and then gylfi is the one threading passes and creating for our attacking players.  it was one game, not a big deal.  

I think there has to be a way to play more to his strengths, as there are plenty of them, and he has scored some of the most sublime goals for us since he's been here, the curled shot in to the corner against Fulham for his first, and his second when the goalie was rooted to the ground, the FA cup equaliser against the shite, and against Leicester of course.

19 hours ago, c1982 said:

I would hope we would tbh. We can't just shoehorn a player into the 11 because he can take a free kick. 

I think he plays too advanced. He doesn't find space through the middle because he has defenders packed around him, he plays very centrally and DCL doesn't do enough ahead of him to create space for him to drop into and then Richarlison and Bernard are also eating into the space he has. Our play was so narrow, it's no surprise that it's an issue. If you look at our pitch map for the weekend it's Siggy furthest forward, and all 11 players are within the width of the 18 yard box. Richarlison is the only one who holds his width. Coleman might have to be fair but he is skewed by switching flank. He should be much closer to the midfield allowing the wingers more opportunity to find the gaps between the full back and centre back.

18 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I would hope we would tbh. We can't just shoehorn a player into the 11 because he can take a free kick. 

I think he plays too advanced. He doesn't find space through the middle because he has defenders packed around him, he plays very centrally and DCL doesn't do enough ahead of him to create space for him to drop into and then Richarlison and Bernard are also eating into the space he has. Our play was so narrow, it's no surprise that it's an issue. If you look at our pitch map for the weekend it's Siggy furthest forward, and all 11 players are within the width of the 18 yard box. Richarlison is the only one who holds his width. Coleman might have to be fair but he is skewed by switching flank. He should be much closer to the midfield allowing the wingers more opportunity to find the gaps between the full back and centre back.

you make a fair point Bailey that DCL could be the one holding back Siggy's usefulness.  They both work hard and press, let's put Kean above Siggy making runs and getting in the box and maybe Gylfi will be threading more passes through.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

the ball doesn't go through the middle, we play it out to the flanks and then bring in a cross.  when we play more on the counter we play through the middle and then gylfi is the one threading passes and creating for our attacking players.  it was one game, not a big deal.  

His anonymity isn't a one off. Many a game he went unnoticed last year unless he scored or assisted. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

you make a fair point Bailey that DCL could be the one holding back Siggy's usefulness.  They both work hard and press, let's put Kean above Siggy making runs and getting in the box and maybe Gylfi will be threading more passes through.

If anything DCL makes it easier for Sigurdssen, he's got the legs to press and constantly drags players to create space. Sigurdssen'a biggest flaws are his off and pace though so he doesn't take advantage. I'd move him to the wing to get him more involved or drop him for Iwobi or drop the system altogether and go 442. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’d actually put it the other way: Sigurdsson is holding back DC-L. As I’ve mentioned before, good player though he is, Sigurdsson makes our team unbalanced. 

Steve and Baily both make good points, not sure which is correct maybe a little bit of both. But possibly just the combination of their strengths and weaknesses and how they play make Siggy and DCL not an ideal 10-9 combo. I guess we will know as the season goes on and see different pairings. Maybe DCL comes to life with Iwobi at the 10, maybe Siggy creates havoc with Kean at the 9 or such

I’ve been a big fan and defender of the guy, but it’s not working for him at the moment. As has been mentioned, Iwobi provided more threat in his cameo than Gylfi has in the last few games. I think he’s still a very good player, but either he’s getting complacent knowing he’s a guaranteed name on the team list or that miss at Palace has knocked his confidence. Either way, dropping him should do us and him the world of good