IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

Looking back through time on this thread and Morgan.  Pretty much no one wanted Gylfi (once the price became known), but everyone to a man wanted Morgan in.  Morgan was a Rolls Royce for about 4 months, then the deferred maintenance caught up with him and now the wheels have fallen off.  Gylfi only ever flattered to deceive.  Maybe 6-12 decent performances since he arrived.   Now were saddled with these absurd contracts and anyone who has half watched us will know that both are not fit for serve in this league.  Combined possibly the worst two piece of business by a PL club over that period.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

no surprise there.  if we could somehow get 20m for him that would be something.  i think 15m might be more likely.

4 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Tout him to West Ham, they're daft enough

15m in a heartbeat but who will realistically take him...won't be West Ham sadly. Turkey? USA? Doesn't strike me as one to go to China. Germany, France, Spain cant afford his wages. One of the Italian teams (Roma, Lazio, Napoli, Fiorentina, Milan, Inter)? 

2 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

15m in a heartbeat but who will realistically take him...won't be West Ham sadly. Turkey? USA? Doesn't strike me as one to go to China. Germany, France, Spain cant afford his wages. One of the Italian teams (Roma, Lazio, Napoli, Fiorentina, Milan, Inter)? 

Italy play a slower game that could work, hell I'd see what MLS could do, that's a league that loves a big name and will offer loads of cash.  look at how the rooney sale went for us.

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

Italy play a slower game that could work, hell I'd see what MLS could do, that's a league that loves a big name and will offer loads of cash.  look at how the rooney sale went for us.

Haha, I don't think most people know him over here. 

Just now, Sibdane said:

Haha, I don't think most people know him over here. 

they thought Bradley Wright Phillips was a premier league star coming over there.  he tore the league in half scoring goals all the time.  He was in League One (3rd division).  Gylfi could be the MLS version of Messi with the quality on display over there.  hell a half-drunk Rooney was destroying the league, a guy who didn't do much with us in the league before he left.  MLS loves the big leagues scraps.  give it to em

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

they thought Bradley Wright Phillips was a premier league star coming over there.  he tore the league in half scoring goals all the time.  He was in League One (3rd division).  Gylfi could be the MLS version of Messi with the quality on display over there.  hell a half-drunk Rooney was destroying the league, a guy who didn't do much with us in the league before he left.  MLS loves the big leagues scraps.  give it to em

He wasn't on large wages though. He didn't get a DP contract until after winning the golden boot two years running. He was pretty much an unknown when he first got here. 

24 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

He wasn't on large wages though. He didn't get a DP contract until after winning the golden boot two years running. He was pretty much an unknown when he first got here. 

all i'm saying is i'm sure if we couldn't sell someone in MLS would offer something.  maybe only 5m, but wages off the books and a player sold might just be worth it.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

The siggy and bolassie fees bothered me at the time ... some said "it's not your money so don't worry" but for me it represented awful value.  Payed double for both players. 

I remember saying with Sigurdsson that as soon as they wanted more than £30m we should have walked away.

Bolasie I just wouldn't have touched with a 20ft barge pole with shit on the end.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I remember saying with Sigurdsson that as soon as they wanted more than £30m we should have walked away.

Bolasie I just wouldn't have touched with a 20ft barge pole with shit on the end.

Bolassie was weird..... it was a bit like not going on holiday for 10 years then being told... "congratulations, you've won a holiday costing £20k, you are going to Benidorm for 14 days"

You are happy to get away butvrealky wonder what more they could have got you for that money. 

This thread changed quickly from the Newcastle game to now. 

It doesn't take a genius to work out that the games against City and Liverpool were going to be difficult for him. He isn't young anymore and it was his 4th game in 11 days after coming back from illness. Being asked to chase kids around for 60 minutes or however long it ended up being was only going to go one way. 

Give him a break and then wheel him out for whatever game comes in a couple of weeks time.

21 minutes ago, Bailey said:

This thread changed quickly from the Newcastle game to now. 

It doesn't take a genius to work out that the games against City and Liverpool were going to be difficult for him. He isn't young anymore and it was his 4th game in 11 days after coming back from illness. Being asked to chase kids around for 60 minutes or however long it ended up being was only going to go one way. 

Give him a break and then wheel him out for whatever game comes in a couple of weeks time.

This is a good point, while I think he has been woeful this season, the illness may have taken more out of him that we understand, for me he still needs to really earn his place in the squad never mind the starting 11, maybe a wide head to bring on after 70 mins?

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, London Blue said:

That was one of the poorest performances I have seen from him. Does not have the skill or mentality to play in midfield, he knows it and it shows in his performance. With Gomes back and Davies and Delph to choose from he should never see the team again. 

He actually makes my blood boil. 

We have to accept he has been the most costly mistake this club has ever made, if we can’t get rid of him or loan him out no matter what the cost, we definitely need to stop playing him, he takes away from the team and adds nothing to replace it. 
The thing is I don’t dislike him as a person and I believe he try’s his best but his best isn’t good enough or anywhere near good enough to get a place on the bench. 
We've been flogging this dead horse for nearly 2 years now time to stop. 

58 minutes ago, London Blue said:

That was one of the poorest performances I have seen from him. Does not have the skill or mentality to play in midfield, he knows it and it shows in his performance. With Gomes back and Davies and Delph to choose from he should never see the team again. 

He has been abysmal for a calendar year. Brands needs to work his magic and get him to China or somewhere. Gomes took the piss in his half hour cameo. Getting the ball in tight places. Beating a man over a few yards. Carlo is doing an amazing job with what he has to work with. 

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Today he just seemed to disintegrate in front of our eyes. I don't think I have seen a player, a talented one at that, go so downhill over the course of 90 minutes. 

From a poor starting point also,  I don’t remember him getting close to the ball during open play in the first 20 mins.

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Today he just seemed to disintegrate in front of our eyes. I don't think I have seen a player, a talented one at that, go so downhill over the course of 90 minutes. 

He just isn't arsed and is finished at this level/league. 

There is footage of him directing play backwards in the 80+ minutes..... he had the opportunity to make the angle for a pass and would have given him yards to work with. Instead he waved his arms to direct it backwards....

When you have top tier earners at the club doing shit like this then you are screwed.  You need to get them out.  Him, Delph, Morgan..... get gone

41 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

There is footage of him directing play backwards in the 80+ minutes..... he had the opportunity to make the angle for a pass and would have given him yards to work with. Instead he waved his arms to direct it backwards....

When you have top tier earners at the club doing shit like this then you are screwed.  You need to get them out.  Him, Delph, Morgan..... get gone

Gylfi will often move from space to get himself marked. It's remarkable when you watch it happen week after week.

I can't believe that Ancelotti hasn't seen through him yet. I know we're not exactly blessed for options but while Davies may not have the technical ability he never hides, so he'd already be a step up.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Gylfi will often move from space to get himself marked. It's remarkable when you watch it happen week after week.

I can't believe that Ancelotti hasn't seen through him yet. I know we're not exactly blessed for options but while Davies may not have the technical ability he never hides, so he'd already be a step up.

I must admit... as much as I love Carlo - surely this sort of shit doesn't go unnoticed by a multi trophy winning manager? 

If we are spotting things that he isn't then it makes you scared... but I'm pretty sure he is just making do with what he has till he can get rid. 

5 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

From a poor starting point also,  I don’t remember him getting close to the ball during open play in the first 20 mins.

Personally I thought he started on the left but it quickly went downhill!

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Yeh he did it a lot at that point. Maybe his energy had gone, we all know what it's like when your legs have gone at the end of the game, especially with him playing wider for the first time in a while but there were a number of times as the game went on that he did the Phil Neville trick of pointing at someone else to do his donkey work. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Personally I thought he started on the left but it quickly went downhill!

Yeh he did it a lot at that point. Maybe his energy had gone, we all know what it's like when your legs have gone at the end of the game, especially with him playing wider for the first time in a while but there were a number of times as the game went on that he did the Phil Neville trick of pointing at someone else to do his donkey work. 

I don’t know how he managed to have no energy seeing as he can’t have expended much during the game!