IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

16 hours ago, MC11 said:

Never the less. 

Delph played 44 games in two seasons for City under Guardiola and won the title those two seasons on the bounce 👍🏻. At left back under Guardiola he had his most successful seasons 👍🏻.

Whilst as I’ve stated I’m not a fan on his he is an option at left back. Better than we currently have 👍🏻

The 44 games he played is approximately 27 x 90 minutes which was skewed heavily in favour of 2017/2018 (1746 minutes v 725 minutes). As I have said previously, he played when Mendy was injured and before Zinchenko became established as a left back (which he still isn't).

Furthermore, City's left backs play nothing like our left back will need to play. I don't know if you watch a lot of City but Delph in particular tucked into midfield, helping rotate possession and stop the counter attack as opposed to your traditional left back duties. For all intents and purposes he was playing in midfield when City had the ball. City have the ball A LOT.

If you are expecting Delph to be able to come in and serve as an able back to Digne both defensively and offensively, you will be very disappointed. Yes is an option, but I believe it would be a very risk one in my opinion based on the times I watched him play there for City.

Then again, maybe the reason City didn't win the league this year was because they sold him?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Matt said:

He’s always been a good player. I think people forget how a negative atmosphere can derail players. 

I agree, technically he is great, he showed that in his first season under Koeman. As you say I think the negative pressure of playing for a succession of failing managers affected him and other players.

Now under a great manager, and playing with better quality players allot of those players are able to express themselves on the pitch and play to their potential.

21 minutes ago, Btay said:

Turned down a deadline day move to what I think was Al Hilal.

Not upset that he’s stayed. Think he’s found his role here and I think we could see some real bursts of quality from him. Can’t look at him as the £45 million pound midfielder but for what he can provide.

I am. Him going could’ve meant us then signing someone younger and of much more use. 

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I am. Him going could’ve meant us then signing someone younger and of much more use. 

I think he can do a job as part of a midfield 3. He’s not a 10 who is going to dominate a game but hopefully in this system he can be more effective.

I don’t think we would have replaced him with better and younger at that stage of the window. On that point I believe Vlasic would have been ideal in this role ( Gomes position )

15 minutes ago, StevO said:

We still not moving on from Vlasic? He’s not been picked up by any of Europe’s big clubs yet has he?

If anything Barkley could play that role, but he’s long gone too. 

Totally agree. I think people remember him having an Ok game when we were dogshite, and remember it very differently.

Watched a fair few times since, and he found his level and settled. He isn't going to get better. Barkley will thrive at Villa.

It we would need better than either of them to replace Sigurdson, or a much younger prospect.

10 hours ago, StevO said:

Will be? He’s 23 now. 
He looked a decent prospect here three years ago, but has he improved so much since? Him still playing in Moscow isn’t showing enough to get anywhere near our team for me. 

He has improved, he is a regular in their national team. His goals and assists tally was insane last year ( despite the Russian league ). Often regarded as the best player in the league.

23 is still relatively young. Take Dom for instance and the improvement from 22 to 23.

12 minutes ago, Btay said:

He has improved, he is a regular in their national team. His goals and assists tally was insane last year ( despite the Russian league ). Often regarded as the best player in the league.

23 is still relatively young. Take Dom for instance and the improvement from 22 to 23.

There is potential to be a quality player, but the Russian league is so poor that its really hard to take any player who is in that league seriously.

I think he could be a useful player in the prem, but not much more than that unless he kicks on in a tougher league.

8 minutes ago, London Blue said:

There is potential to be a quality player, but the Russian league is so poor that its really hard to take any player who is in that league seriously.

I think he could be a useful player in the prem, but not much more than that unless he kicks on in a tougher league.

He will get a move to a good team in a top league soon.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

He might have improved, I would expect so, but enough to get in our team? That I doubt very much. 
We’ve seen enough players in Russia who were great and couldn’t cut the mustard. We’ve had three at Everton alone. 

23 is young, but if you aren’t already at a top club and playing regularly at 23 it’s often too late. Dom was getting in our team three years ago, when Vlasic couldn’t. 

• 1 month later...