IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

I think he played ok, but there was a lot of arms in the air moments from him, which was the result of bad control or bad first touch. 
He may have touched the ball the same amount of times as DCL would on that position, but he was around 10% as affective at holding the ball up there for us. 

now don’t get me wrong, DCLs strength is his hold up play. So it’s unfair a comparison. 
But there was a huge difference, and Gylfi felt this.... you could see his frustration.

• 3 weeks later...

One of his better games not just because he scored but that was welcomed, but more because of his work rate and control whilst in possession, he seemed to have gained an extra yard of pace and matched Leeds for there intensity which isn’t easy to do, for once he didn’t look sluggish, okay a couple of passes needed a bit more pace on them if I’m going to be picky. 
Definitely payed Carlo back for faith shown in him it was a captain’s performance. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been a fan of Gylfi, but was worried when he came on that the game might just not be for him and he would ghost around. He got stuck in, did the dirty work and then slotted away a cool penalty in the last few minutes to seal it. To be honest I'd have twatted the ball as hard as I could but he just brushed it into the corner, even with the goalkeeper guessing right he's scored. 

Despite being poor at the back against Spurs, he was outstanding going forward too so hopefully he's finding some form under Carlo. As @duncanmckenzieismagic said above, there's players such as Sigurdsson and Davies (I'd throw Iwobi in there too) who are looking like different beasts under Carlo's leadership.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Still hope he's not offered a new contract but I'll remember him fondly forever for tonight.

He still has 1 year on his contract and will be nearly 33 when it expires. He is playing well and is a valued squad member, but I doubt we will be offering him a new contract.

Will go to an American team I bet.

His workload has never really been an issue for me, it was always his placement and decision making of where to be (thus marking himself out of passes) or who to press that made him look like he wasn’t trying. He was always trying, was just getting it wrong a lot. Carlo seems to have given him direction which is all he really needs; he’s got the engine and ability. 

I hated that penalty though. He can send rockets into the top corner from 20-30 yards out, a daisycutter like that is always nervy :lol: 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Well prepare yourself, he’s definitely getting a 2 year extension 

50/50 for me his age is going to go against him for that length of contract, and plus I’m hoping they have a few 26-28 year olds in mind to replace him in the summer, Grealish comes to mind or a return for Barkley even, it will always live with me that the useless fat twat called Koeman was the architect in destroying Barkley’s love affair with Everton, what he could have been like under Ancelotti is worth pursuing still.

But for me Gylfi’s time is done here and at best a one year extension if we can’t get the right replacement in the summer, I haven’t had a real problem with him he never stops trying even when he’s asked to play against his own strengths which sometimes don’t do him any justice. Was a good buy for us just not a very good buy. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

50/50 for me his age is going to go against him for that length of contract, and plus I’m hoping they have a few 26-28 year olds in mind to replace him in the summer, Grealish comes to mind or a return for Barkley even, it will always live with me that the useless fat twat called Koeman was the architect in destroying Barkley’s love affair with Everton, what he could have been like under Ancelotti is worth pursuing still.

But for me Gylfi’s time is done here and at best a one year extension if we can’t get the right replacement in the summer, I haven’t had a real problem with him he never stops trying even when he’s asked to play against his own strengths which sometimes don’t do him any justice. Was a good buy for us just not a very good buy. 

Well I’ve no idea what you mean with that last bit :lol: 

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think coming off the bench is what he is going to be best at. Even last season he was running on fumes after 60 minutes and that isn't going to improve as he gets older.

I still wouldn't be offering him a new contract though, he is exactly the type of player we need to move on from.

Exactly right. Both Gylfi and Gomes are then likely ones to move on. Someone like Ruben Neves to replace the two would be perfect.

18 hours ago, Bailey said:

I still wouldn't be offering him a new contract though, he is exactly the type of player we need to move on from.

It will depend on the contract to be honest. If he was willing to take a pay cut (based on the fact he's already had his big payday contract!!) then I have seen enough from him this season and would be happy for him to remain at the club as a decent squad player.

We would have to go in to the market and try replace him. 

Worth throwing into the mix, I saw a recent interview with Holgate and Godfrey who both agreed that Gylfi is the hardest working player we have in training. 

I don’t think he should be a regular part of our starting eleven  in the future but I prefer him to Gomes and I think he’s shown he can still contribute.

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

Worth throwing into the mix, I saw a recent interview with Holgate and Godfrey who both agreed that Gylfi is the hardest working player we have in training. 

I don’t think he should be a regular part of our starting eleven  in the future but I prefer him to Gomes and I think he’s shown he can still contribute.

i hadn't heard that, thank you for sharing.  everyone loves to hate gylfi but he's got 6 goals 7 assists in all comps this year.  that's what you want from role and bench players.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i hadn't heard that, thank you for sharing.  everyone loves to hate gylfi but he's got 6 goals 7 assists in all comps this year.  that's what you want from role and bench players.

Gotta respect a player who works his ass off to stay at the top level as long as he can. Godfrey also said he’s one of the best finishers he’s ever played with. Thinking about it, I would probably put him 2nd or 3rd on the team after James and maybe Richy from outside the box. 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Looking at the league he's got 4 goals (2 from the spot) and 2 assists. Hardly a great contribution.

That said his stats aren't the main issue for me. It's what he contributes to the team as a whole. The team play slower when he's on the pitch as he doesn't make himself available for the ball by getting in the right pockets of space or help the player on the ball by dragging players to make a passing lane, and when the ball does come to him his first instincts are to go backwards. Nothing more frustrating than watching a good chance go missing when he gets the ball on the edge of the box and swivels away from goal. Defensively he tries but he's just not good enough in his positioning. He can't read the game good enough being reactive to the play, that goes offensively as well. It kills our attacks.

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Looking at the league he's got 4 goals (2 from the spot) and 2 assists. Hardly a great contribution.

That said his stats aren't the main issue for me. It's what he contributes to the team as a whole. The team play slower when he's on the pitch as he doesn't make himself available for the ball by getting in the right pockets of space or help the player on the ball by dragging players to make a passing lane, and when the ball does come to him his first instincts are to go backwards. Nothing more frustrating than watching a good chance go missing when he gets the ball on the edge of the box and swivels away from goal. Defensively he tries but he's just not good enough in his positioning. He can't read the game good enough being reactive to the play, that goes offensively as well. It kills our attacks.

I don’t disagree with most of this which is why he shouldn’t be in our first eleven as we move forward as a club but I still think he provides more than Gomes does, who is his most direct competition. Just thought it was interesting he was named specifically by those two as the hardest worker.