IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

13 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Digne on free kicks, Dom on penalties and suddenly we don't need Siggy anymore.

This. Digne has actually scored a free kick for Everton!

There are a few id have no problem taking penalties. Richarlison took one in a final for Brazil. Must be half decent at them. 

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

His last season he was at Paris saint germain; hardly a pub league and not across the pond.  

It was less than half a season because he joined on Jan deadline day. Completed ninety minutes just the once and averaged 34 minutes a game, scored none and had two assists.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

It is a bit of a pub league and it is still across a pond 😂

It would certainly be a point of analysis. If your striker only scores from corners, they wouldnt be a good striker!

I don't like Bernard, it was just a quick comparison of one player that isn't good enough against another.

It is fluffing up their stats because there are plenty of others in the side that can do it. James and Digne are the obvious ones. If they took every free kick, corner and penalty Siggy would be left with the crap open play stats. 

With Ward-Prowse, his dead ball work is what sets him above other similar players. No doubt about that. He is also a very good player that contributes to the team all over the pitch. He doesn't need the goals and assists to know his worth. Whereas with Siggy it is the only thing you can say he does bring.

But he is obviously the better at doing it or he wouldn’t be given the responsibility, I would like to think the managers we have had whether good or bad would pick the best options available for all team scenarios at there disposal, it surely can’t be just coincidence that they have all given Gylfi that responsibility, that would tell me he’s proven he’s the best in the team at dead ball situations, or would you rather they all chose a player with lesser abilities in that area to suit your argument on fluffy stats. 

6 hours ago, Haiku said:

Digne on free kicks, Dom on penalties and suddenly we don't need Siggy anymore.

I hesitate to enter the Sigurdsson discussion, but I do want to partially disagree here.  For free kicks, Digne is not in every case the best choice.  Sometimes, maybe roughly half the time, the angle necessitates a right-footer.  Sigurdsson or someone else.

12 hours ago, StevO said:

Yeah but over on your side of the pond where football isn’t really football. 😂

As an over-the-ponder, I agree heartily.  In discussions with American mates who find association football not “real football,” my response is to remind them that in “real football,” all 22 players actually use their feet to kick the ball — foot, meet ball — multiple times in every match.

I was a passionate fan of American “football” for many years, until I discovered the beautiful game.

11 hours ago, Palfy said:

But he is obviously the better at doing it or he wouldn’t be given the responsibility, I would like to think the managers we have had whether good or bad would pick the best options available for all team scenarios at there disposal, it surely can’t be just coincidence that they have all given Gylfi that responsibility, that would tell me he’s proven he’s the best in the team at dead ball situations, or would you rather they all chose a player with lesser abilities in that area to suit your argument on fluffy stats. 

So if Digne took all set pieces, how mich worse would his stats be compared to Siggy? 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

So if Digne took all set pieces, how much worse would his stats be compared to Siggy? 

I can answer this question for you @Palfy

In the last three seasons Gylfi has had 1 goal (non penalty) and 8 assists and Digne has 4 goals and 4 assists. I wouldn't be able to find the stats on it but Gylfi takes a lot more set plays than Digne. In one season, James had 3 assists from set pieces but no goals. His numbers would have been well down on the other two though.

Maybe those managers are wrong after all.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Just how many failed coaching set-ups can one man be involved in before he tries his hand elsewhere? :lol: 

I have seen a few articles saying how Everton fans will be happy that Ferguson is a part of the set-up but could anyone really care less if he is?

It isn't like it has helped us in the past and it certainly isn't going to soften the blow of Benitez coming in.

51 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

That doesn’t look like a Pointer to me!

My wife (a casual Spurs fan) while watching a Toffees match with me one morning said "Gylfi is name that just makes me smile when I say it, Gillll-Feeeee! Sounds like a good Shep name when we get another. 

I had forgot Gylfi's (the footballer) middle name is Thor. Ironically the sire of Gylfi (the Shep) is Thor. So I guess I'll register him as Gylfi Thorsson. There was a moment in the City game where he was almost renamed to Fido, but I digress. 

15 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

As an over-the-ponder, I agree heartily.  In discussions with American mates who find association football not “real football,” my response is to remind them that in “real football,” all 22 players actually use their feet to kick the ball — foot, meet ball — multiple times in every match.

I was a passionate fan of American “football” for many years, until I discovered the beautiful game.

I've never understood "football" here. It's hours of commercials interspersed with apparent chaos.

27 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I've never understood "football" here. It's hours of commercials interspersed with apparent chaos.

That is about the most simplistic explanation I think I have ever heard from someone who clearly doesn't get "American Football"!

It is, however, spot-on 😆 

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

I have seen a few articles saying how Everton fans will be happy that Ferguson is a part of the set-up but could anyone really care less if he is?

It isn't like it has helped us in the past and it certainly isn't going to soften the blow of Benitez coming in.

I'd rather Ferguson be the manager than Benetiz. He was the one who made the team around DCL whereas the chump before him had DCL as third choice. Add to that Benetiz is no better than Steve Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...