IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

On 23/02/2021 at 16:15, SpartyBlue said:

Worth throwing into the mix, I saw a recent interview with Holgate and Godfrey who both agreed that Gylfi is the hardest working player we have in training. 

I don’t think he should be a regular part of our starting eleven  in the future but I prefer him to Gomes and I think he’s shown he can still contribute.

Saw the interview on youtube and props to Rio Ferdinand for mentoring young players like Godfrey and Holgate. Rio is really putting back into the sport and its great he is helping players from our club.

Good interview, well worth a watch, Mason and Ben come across very well:

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/carlo-ancelotti-confirms-gylfi-sigurdsson-20126097

My heart sunk reading this.

Convenient that he's playing well when he's in need of either a new contract here or a move elsewhere. For me, this sudden upturn in form do not make up for years of nothingness.

If it’s a short term contract, 1-2 years, on lower wages then it might be worth it if he can maintain this form ancelotti has got out of him. His game isn’t based on physical attributes and he’s no pace to lose. So I think he might be one of those players that ages gracefully, like Gary mcallister. And It would be cheaper than spunking out 25 million on a squad player to replace him. Gylfi has been a disappointment overall, but is doing okay under Carlo. And I’ve never forgotten that he is a toffee like us, and that must count for something too.

He’s a decent squad player - unless someone is going to come along and offer us £20m (which they won’t), I think it’s a good move to keep him - hopefully on a lower wage spread over a longer contract - and spend the money elsewhere. The squad is wafer thin as it is and Gylfi has proved to be a decent back-up option under Ancelotti.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

He'll go back to being the invisible man once he's got his contract. I'll enjoy that immensely.

Even lowered wages (which I'd be sceptical of) will see him earning far too much.

I don’t think he would. Before he was being played in different positions by toss managers in a team going nowhere and with a fair few wasters. Now Carlo has backed him and cast him in a defined and suitable role in a team with something to play for, alongside players who care (well, for most matches). No surprise he’s playing better, as are nearly all players under that treatment. The risk is more that Carlo gets on his bike.

35 minutes ago, badaids said:

I don’t think he would. Before he was being played in different positions by toss managers in a team going nowhere and with a fair few wasters. Now Carlo has backed him and cast him in a defined and suitable role in a team with something to play for, alongside players who care (well, for most matches). No surprise he’s playing better, as are nearly all players under that treatment. The risk is more that Carlo gets on his bike.

We’ll see. 

Like Davies he is finally being utilized correctly and it shows.  The extension makes sense, we have no depth a d a Gylfi off the bench has literally won us multiple matches this year.  As others have said his game shouldn’t be affected by age, he’s always been slow.  Lastly the young guys have all said he works the hardest in training.  Good role model

very happy for this

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

He’s a decent squad player - unless someone is going to come along and offer us £20m (which they won’t), I think it’s a good move to keep him - hopefully on a lower wage spread over a longer contract - and spend the money elsewhere. The squad is wafer thin as it is and Gylfi has proved to be a decent back-up option under Ancelotti.

He’s 32 in September and will be coming up to 33 when his contract expires, yet you want to give him a long contract on reduced wages, I can’t see the value in that, personally I think we should be looking for a replacement in the 3 windows we have before his contract expires, not because he isn’t contributing to the team at the present time because he is, but more because I don’t think we would have achieved our potential if we still have a 34-36 year old Gylfi in the match day squad. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Like Davies he is finally being utilized correctly and it shows.  The extension makes sense, we have no depth a d a Gylfi off the bench has literally won us multiple matches this year.  As others have said his game shouldn’t be affected by age, he’s always been slow.  Lastly the young guys have all said he works the hardest in training.  Good role model

very happy for this

Not for me. Siggurdson has been guilty of some complete and utter shithouse performances that can't be excused by role or position as he has been shit in every role given to him.

The reason he has done well has been an improved approach by him. 

Long may his improved form continue but I'm not having this position bollocks. He's hidden in quite a few games. 

47 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He’s 32 in September and will be coming up to 33 when his contract expires, yet you want to give him a long contract on reduced wages, I can’t see the value in that, personally I think we should be looking for a replacement in the 3 windows we have before his contract expires, not because he isn’t contributing to the team at the present time because he is, but more because I don’t think we would have achieved our potential if we still have a 34-36 year old Gylfi in the match day squad. 

I don’t want to give him a long contract - 2years is longer than 1year - it’ll still be a relatively short deal. Ideally, we get a young player as his replacement - maybe even develop from within but we don’t need to get rid to do that. As I said, he’s done well under Ancelotti, if a big offer came in - take it - if not, actively replacing him in the next window should not be a priority.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Another masterclass last night of finger pointing, I’m amazed he can make it through 90 minutes without getting exhausted.

Sarcasm aside, yet another game which he failed to make any impression on, not good enough.

I've never seen someone so placid and caught ball watching so often. Theres quite a few decent CM's coming to the end of contracts that we could get that offer so much more than Gylfi and probably take a lesser wage.

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Another masterclass last night of finger pointing, I’m amazed he can make it through 90 minutes without getting exhausted.

Sarcasm aside, yet another game which he failed to make any impression on, not good enough.

3 minutes ago, Btay said:

I've never seen someone so placid and caught ball watching so often. Theres quite a few decent CM's coming to the end of contracts that we could get that offer so much more than Gylfi and probably take a lesser wage.

I cannot understand why we're even contemplating giving him a new contract. 

If anyone does NFL fantasy football - Gylfi is the best example of having a player in your team that lures you in to selecting because of what you know he can do.......  And you pick despite knowing what he's going to do - fuck all.

It's an awful predicament having a player with so much technical talent who throws in far too many sub 6/10 performances whilst taking a position in the side that is vital to how we perform.

There's no question that on his day he can be a great asset but those days are few and far between.  I'd get him off the payroll - try and use him to leverage a transfer.   His general lethargy and manyana approach is not good for our club - no doubt he's a good lad etc etc but I'm not arsed.  I want gnarly winners in the team. 

42 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

If anyone does NFL fantasy football - Gylfi is the best example of having a player in your team that lures you in to selecting because of what you know he can do.......  And you pick despite knowing what he's going to do - fuck all.

It's an awful predicament having a player with so much technical talent who throws in far too many sub 6/10 performances whilst taking a position in the side that is vital to how we perform.

There's no question that on his day he can be a great asset but those days are few and far between.  I'd get him off the payroll - try and use him to leverage a transfer.   His general lethargy and manyana approach is not good for our club - no doubt he's a good lad etc etc but I'm not arsed.  I want gnarly winners in the team. 

His technical ability is vasty over rated in my opinion. Excellent, clean striker of a ball no doubt but his passing is not what its made out to be though. He coasts through games and just watches the play go by him. 

Every team needs squad players and depth.  At his wages and age he isn’t going anywhere but as the lads have said he works his ass off whether you like him or not.  Managers like him, we know that because he plays matches. He’s not de bruyne but he will continue to be a solid option off the bench until his contract ends.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Every team needs squad players and depth.  At his wages and age he isn’t going anywhere but as the lads have said he works his ass off whether you like him or not.  Managers like him, we know that because he plays matches. He’s not de bruyne but he will continue to be a solid option off the bench until his contract ends.

When you say "solid" ... That makes me think he gives you a minimum standard of performance which is acceptable..... He doesn't.   

He ranges from 2/10 to 8/10.... Totally unreliable. 

13 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

When you say "solid" ... That makes me think he gives you a minimum standard of performance which is acceptable..... He doesn't.   

He ranges from 2/10 to 8/10.... Totally unreliable. 

And how many times has he played to an 8/10 since he has been with us? I can't think of many!