IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

Bad weather, and digne is first choice when he comes back.  I’m not too worried about it

I do, I loved him at Swans and at Spurs, I just like the guy.

Bad weather might explain one or two but all of them were awful, always straight to the keeper. I’m only nitpicking though, it was just something that irritated me 

I think that the improvement in Gylfi is down to him having a more defined role in the team (even if it’s as an understudy), but also that there is a bit of team spirit and something to play for. He looks like he doesn’t want to let the side down. Plus Carlo of course. First time he’s had all that here. Hopefully he’ll continue to contribute more.

On 27/12/2020 at 13:26, markjazzbassist said:

Bad weather, and digne is first choice when he comes back.  I’m not too worried about it

He’s played in bad weather plenty over the last 20 years of his life. No excuse for floating most of his dead balls to the goalkeeper. Play to the wind. 
I’d rather see James in the dead balls when he’s back. 

On 27/12/2020 at 13:28, Matt said:

Bad weather might explain one or two but all of them were awful, always straight to the keeper. I’m only nitpicking though, it was just something that irritated me 

It’s important though Matt. We don’t create a lot in open play without Richarlison, Digne and James. So our set pieces are big chances for us, especially when we have four big centre halves on the pitch. They needed to be better. 

There's paper talk of him getting a new contract.

I will rage if it's true. He had a few decent games but returned to his invisible man act yesterday, hiding like a fucking mole. That's Gylfi's true performance level, and we all know it because that's what he's shown for years. Those good performances are the outliers.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

There's paper talk of him getting a new contract.

I will rage if it's true. He had a few decent games but returned to his invisible man act yesterday, hiding like a fucking mole. That's Gylfi's true performance level, and we all know it because that's what he's shown for years. Those good performances are the outliers.

If he gets offered a new contract then I will be questioning Ancellotti.... I don't give a toss what he's won in the game - Siggy needs to go asap and we need players of character in the side. 

I seriously hope he's not getting a new contract.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

If he gets offered a new contract then I will be questioning Ancellotti.... I don't give a toss what he's won in the game - Siggy needs to go asap and we need players of character in the side. 

I seriously hope he's not getting a new contract.

Yes because you the internet poster know more than a title and champions league winning manager.  Yeah right

The thing that pisses me off about Siggy is that when he does get the ball in those half spaces, he does very little with it. 

I watched the end of the Villa game and Grealish is turning facing goal at every single opportunity, committing at least one defender before trying to find a ball forward into someone's feet.

Siggy almost always lays the ball off under no pressure without commiting a player and a lot of the time its a nothing ball to someone in a worse position than he was. He should be looking to take a touch and turn to face goal, feeding the ball into DCL, Richie etc and not laying it off for someone less talented to do. 

30 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The thing that pisses me off about Siggy is that when he does get the ball in those half spaces, he does very little with it. 

I watched the end of the Villa game and Grealish is turning facing goal at every single opportunity, committing at least one defender before trying to find a ball forward into someone's feet.

Siggy almost always lays the ball off under no pressure without commiting a player and a lot of the time its a nothing ball to someone in a worse position than he was. He should be looking to take a touch and turn to face goal, feeding the ball into DCL, Richie etc and not laying it off for someone less talented to do. 

Build up for the goal last week. He has 10 yards space in front of him and still turns away from goal @1:00. We eventually scored but more often than not he's slowed the attack and killed the chance.

42 minutes ago, c1982 said:

A new contract could always mean reduced terms but an extra year or 2. Maybe Ancelotti sees him as an important squad player. Maybe he doesn’t want a £40-£50m ‘investment’ to go into the final year of his contract and wants to protect whatever we can get back for him.

Absolutely no chance he's going to be accept lower wages.

21 hours ago, Bailey said:

Should let him go and throw the money at Grealish in the summer. If we can finish in the top four hes the player we need to be looking at to progress. 

25 minutes ago, StevO said:

Should let him go and throw the money at Grealish in the summer. If we can finish in the top four hes the player we need to be looking at to progress. 

Grealish is a player we are crying out for, been up for signing him for a while but he may stay at villa while they are solid.b

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Grealish is a player we are crying out for, been up for signing him for a while but he may stay at villa while they are solid.b

I agree Haf, but when he’s ready to leave Villa he won’t becoming to us, he’ll be going to Liverpool City United Chelsea or Spurs. 
Unfortunately it’s still going to be a few more years before we become the place of choice for these sort after players. 

47 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I agree Haf, but when he’s ready to leave Villa he won’t becoming to us, he’ll be going to Liverpool City United Chelsea or Spurs. 
Unfortunately it’s still going to be a few more years before we become the place of choice for these sort after players. 

Our only chance to get a player like him is to finish in the top four. If we could do that I think we could get him. Would be big big money though. I’d expect upwards of £85m for Villa to even consider it. 

Seems like since our last conversation on here about Grealish.... people have actually watched him now haha. 
Still hard to believe people were saying he is over rated. 

Tupe of player and energy that could turn us into actual title contenders, not just top four. But his chairman would have already had the Richarlison conversation with him.... give us another year and you will be able to choose your team.

• 2 weeks later...

Sig has been much better of late but was anonymous in a good team performance last night.

26 touches  (Gomes had the same in the 30 minutes he played)

dispossessed twice, lost it once due to bad control

made one interception

1 key pass and 1 decent cross in his 17 passes at just 82% accuracy. 

I know it's not all about stats but I had to take a look just to confirm I hadn't missed him contributing something to the game!  Looked pretty pissed off when he came off too, hopefully narked with his own performance rather than being removed!

3 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

Sig has been much better of late but was anonymous in a good team performance last night.

made one interception

I know it's not all about stats but I had to take a look just to confirm I hadn't missed him contributing something to the game!  Looked pretty pissed off when he came off too, hopefully narked with his own performance rather than being removed!

I genuinely don't think he played badly at all. He was never going to touch the ball much with the position he was playing to be honest, so I'm not surprised or annoyed by any of those stats you mention really.

He was up there because he's quite tall so there was a chance he might win a couple of headers if we went long, and he was to chase down the Wolves defenders when they passed it around at the back.

It wasn't a pretty showing from him but it wasn't bad either. I think he did what had been asked of him.

One thing it did show was our lack of depth up top. 
Yes we came away with a win, and that’s great. But we could play that game again and get a totally different result. 

For long periods, we just kept the ball at the back, because as soon as we moved it forward we lost it. We won the game through two moments of magic. 

I mentioned in the MoM thread, that no one stood out at all. No one was bad either, but it was a strange game, and one I wouldn’t want to see is set up the same again.

4 hours ago, FairWooney said:

made one interception

DCL v West Ham (79 Mins)

31 touches

4 losses of possession

1 Interception

0 key passes

21 passes with a 66.7% accuracy.

DCL v Sheff Utd (90 Mins)

39 touches

3 losses of possession

0 interceptions

1 key pass

24 passes with an accuracy of 75%

DCL v Man Utd (90 Mins)

31 touches

5 losses of possession

0 interceptions

0 key passes

21 passes with an accuracy of 71.54%

This suggests that from a statistical point of view that he performed as adeptly as DCL in the metrics you have quoted.

I also think he performed well enough given the circumstances but at the same time, it was nothing to write home about. As StevO says, he did a job for the team.