IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

He was our worst player out there today, if it wasn’t for a couple of free kicks and half a dozen corners in the 2nd half, he would have hardly touched the ball, he was completely none existent in the game till the last minutes when he should have buried his chance. 

31 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

So many failed tackles yesterday, and why didn’t he go to the ref and claim a penalty after Wan Bissakas tackle, poor performance once again.

I did think "why aren't our players over with the man United players leading a counter argument?"

We are soft... hopefully Carlo uses the Italian gamesmanship tactics.... they were masters at it. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I thought he did alright yesterday. Not good, but played ok. 

You missed the first half though Matt; he did absolutely zero, can't recall a single pass going to a team-mate; he did do a few things second half admittedly but over the ninety he was way off the mark.

49 minutes ago, MikeO said:

You missed the first half though Matt; he did absolutely zero, can't recall a single pass going to a team-mate; he did do a few things second half admittedly but over the ninety he was way off the mark.

From what I’ve read, not many did much first half though. 

• 3 months later...

he worked his ass off all game.  he was defending well, and running in transition to offer support and play through balls.  the goal probably gave him a lot of confidence too.  and it was a nice penalty.  i hope this is the springboard for him to have a great rest of the year.  we need solid midfield play next to gomes.

We clearly don’t have the options to give us a midfield to dominate games currently but Ancelotti’s tactics and disciplined performances from Gylfi, Gomes and Davies are getting us over the line and picking up valuable points - it’s not pretty at times but it’s effective. We have good attacking and defensive players anyway - add a dominant midfield and there could be cause for optimism.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, with his [Sigurdsson’s] quality, to play a defensive role is easier. Behind you have more space compared to if you’re playing as a number 10. It’s the easiest way to play with the quality of Sigurdsson. I’m satisfied with his performances, he hasn’t played every game from the start but it was only for the fact he was not 100% fit. He had a fever during the lockdown and it has taken time for him to recover properly,” says Ancelotti. [Echo]

Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think, with his [Sigurdsson’s] quality, to play a defensive role is easier. Behind you have more space compared to if you’re playing as a number 10. It’s the easiest way to play with the quality of Sigurdsson. I’m satisfied with his performances, he hasn’t played every game from the start but it was only for the fact he was not 100% fit. He had a fever during the lockdown and it has taken time for him to recover properly,” says Ancelotti. [Echo]

Thoughts?

Fuck. 

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

Thoughts?

My heart says, “Ancelotti was the man who transformed Pirlo from a number 10 to the silky deep lying legend that he will forever be remembered.”

My head asks, “What’s Ancelotti been sniffing?!?!” 

Siggy is a passenger at best in most games he plays in, Carlo knows this. Do you seriously think that a manager of his ability and experience would want Siggy playing in his team every week if he had a choice? We can all see Siggy is a fish out of water, and is not viable in a squad pushing for Europe, which is our stated aim. Carlo is a World Class manager so of course he knows this.

Lack of options is one of the reasons he is playing, yes I know we let moaning Morgan go, but I imagine we had no choice but to let him go once he made it clear he wanted to go. Another reason is to preserve any semblance of fee we might get for him when he goes in the summer.

A new midfield player is a must, but once we get Gambin fit we will have Gomes, Davies, Gambin and another player. Both Davies and Gomes work best in a midfield 3 with a ball winner so maybe have 2 midfielders arrive in the window.