IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

On 06/09/2019 at 03:39, Finn balor said:

I don’t think he’s the whipping boy I just think he deserves Critism just like everybody else. As our most expensive player he has needed to do more and create more. On Sunday he did that. Was it the change in formation that allowed him to get into those pockets out wide? Was it the Iwobi and kean? Or maybe was it due to the new players he now knows he’s not guaranteed a game ever week? 

It was definitely a ploy to get him into the wide right area as we now have an aerial threat in Iwobi from the left. Put him against a short full back and he'll win it every time.

It's under rated to have a winger who can come in and head the ball. We have two now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just a thought if we really are truly moving on from gylfi, you have to think Brands is going to try and offload him this winter or upcoming summer.  He's 30 and still has a lot of playing left in him.  I'd imagine we could get back 20m or so and at least not be stuck with the massive wages.  otherwise it becomes another run down former asset that is counting down till contract end date.  thoughts?

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

just a thought if we really are truly moving on from gylfi, you have to think Brands is going to try and offload him this winter or upcoming summer.  He's 30 and still has a lot of playing left in him.  I'd imagine we could get back 20m or so and at least not be stuck with the massive wages.  otherwise it becomes another run down former asset that is counting down till contract end date.  thoughts?

Are we though or is it just fans who think he’s not working out for us? I’d rather keep him, even playing from the bench a super sub who could get 10 goals a season is worth more than £20m plus wages IMO

1 minute ago, Wiggytop said:

Are we though or is it just fans who think he’s not working out for us? I’d rather keep him, even playing from the bench a super sub who could get 10 goals a season is worth more than £20m plus wages IMO

i totally get that and i love gylfi.  i'm just thinking more balance sheet Brands type thinking, large asset on the bench, woulnd't it make more sense if he stays on the bench this year to move him on and get something back and invest in players that will work for us and start or be younger and be cheaper and grow into a valuable asset.  that's where i'm coming from line of thinking, not saying i agree with it, just i wonder if Brands is pondering a sale soon because of it.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

As far as January is concerned, no way. We will need bodies the rest of this season, even though Id expect us to sign some cover in midfield now, even with Gbamin due back. 

As for next summer... Yeah I'd sell. The great things he does are great but he's a luxury player imo, and we can't carry one of those if we want to get out of the rut we're in. 

47 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't think it will happen.  morgan will be the busquets sitter, davies and gylfi/iwobi the more advanced mids in the 3.

It will depend how he wants to go. If you play with one DM you don't play with a 10 so that would rule out Iwobi in that role IMO but he may go back to two DMs and have Davies and Delph sitting with one of Siggy or Iwobi ahead. 

He could go with Morgan deepest with Delph and Davies ahead but I don't think Delph has the legs for it. Plus it's probably the least creative midfield we could put out. 

I thought the 3 we had against Spurs worked well even if it didn't really ignite. It looked as though they were building into the game when the injury occured and I don't see any reason why Siggy can't play the same type of role as Gomes in a 3 (I wouldn't want to see him in a 2). I would actually go as far as to say that if Siggy does actually want to continue his career in the Premier League then that is a role he needs to learn and learn quickly because there aren't many teams that facilitate an out and out 10 these days.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

It will depend how he wants to go. If you play with one DM you don't play with a 10 so that would rule out Iwobi in that role IMO but he may go back to two DMs and have Davies and Delph sitting with one of Siggy or Iwobi ahead. 

He could go with Morgan deepest with Delph and Davies ahead but I don't think Delph has the legs for it. Plus it's probably the least creative midfield we could put out. 

I thought the 3 we had against Spurs worked well even if it didn't really ignite. It looked as though they were building into the game when the injury occured and I don't see any reason why Siggy can't play the same type of role as Gomes in a 3 (I wouldn't want to see him in a 2). I would actually go as far as to say that if Siggy does actually want to continue his career in the Premier League then that is a role he needs to learn and learn quickly because there aren't many teams that facilitate an out and out 10 these days.

Yep, I think Gylfi for Gomes will be what Marco goes for. Against Southampton and Norwich though I’d seriously considers Iwobi in the midfield 3 ( flat not as a 10 ). 

• 5 weeks later...

I don't even want to see this idiot on the bench. He offers nothing. Fuck all. He's not even good at chasing his own bastard shadow, never mind the shadows of the opposition. Our captain last night and I didn't even know he was on the pitch until just before half time! Davies was no great shakes next to him but Sigurdsson hung the lad out to dry and how he wasn't substituted at some point during the game is a fucking mystery.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't even want to see this idiot on the bench. He offers nothing. Fuck all. He's not even good at chasing his own bastard shadow, never mind the shadows of the opposition. Our captain last night and I didn't even know he was on the pitch until just before half time! Davies was no great shakes next to him but Sigurdsson hung the lad out to dry and how he wasn't substituted at some point during the game is a fucking mystery. 

Now come on Mark say what you really mean. 😊

Has been woeful lately, can't believe we still wanted to buy him after being held to ransom over the fee.

He scores some great goals from time to time, but that's really all he offers at this point, and they are frequent enough to justify his place in the starting eleven. We need some pace in the center of the park. It wouldn't surprise me if we had the slowest midfield in the league. 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

And why is that,? is it because Gana was sold and his replacement has been injured for months, Then there is also Gomes who also has a long term injury, these are injuries we had no hope of covering, that's the reason it's been a mess but it will get better.

Barkley would not be the answer.

It didn't help that we signed Delph who had an awful injury record either. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/12/2019 at 09:50, Romey 1878 said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gylfi-sigurdssons-grim-statistic-carlo-17461267

And then you read this and realise, again, just what a waste of space he is.

No surprise to me that him being reinstated to the starting XI coincided with our worst performance of the season.