IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

Glad he salvaged a little confidence. He admirably recovered from his last outing; he looked pretty solid all game and put in some dangerous balls from set pieces. That Iceland team will only get better with their youth setup, and hopefully Gylfi will still be up to it in four years' time.

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was a little bit worried that Sigurdsson wouldn’t fit in with Silva’s plans and we’d be looking to move him on next summer at a huge loss. But in the past two games those worries have disappeared - he was great against Wolves and fantastic today. 

For me only one of him or Tosun should start, both give it their all but are too slow for a pressing style. When trying to press they end up just chasing shadows. That said I'd rather it be Tosun as Sigurdssen one twos would be missed. 

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I can’t agree with that after actually seeing them both doing it first-hand. I think the pair of them did extremely well at the pressing game. What goes unnoticed, I feel, is that while they make not actually get the ball back through their pressing, a lot of the time their pressing forces the opposition defender to misplace a pass or put it out of play. 

I notice it, just they are too slow to do it effectively. Firminio across the park is one of the best at it, our very own awkward arse Niasse. Tosun and Gylfi are too slow to get there quick enough and force the mistakes. They close the lanes which is the main thing I'll give them that, but I could almost hear Tosun panting at 70 mins it's just not his game.

Pete, nope. 

Mark, yep. 

Last season there was a tactical thing on Soccer AM showing how the press works. The forward (or central) players are only pressing to push the ball out wide, so the wingers can attempt to win the ball. With players like Walcott and Richalison out wide we could do really well with this. Gylfi and Tosun just need to apply a little pressure, which they both did extremely well today and will have the bruises to show it. 

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

I notice it, just they are too slow to do it effectively. Firminio across the park is one of the best at it, our very own awkward arse Niasse. Tosun and Gylfi are too slow to get there quick enough and force the mistakes. They close the lanes which is the main thing I'll give them that, but I could almost hear Tosun panting at 70 mins it's just not his game.

25 minutes ago, StevO said:

Pete, nope. 

Mark, yep. 

Last season there was a tactical thing on Soccer AM showing how the press works. The forward (or central) players are only pressing to push the ball out wide, so the wingers can attempt to win the ball. With players like Walcott and Richalison out wide we could do really well with this. Gylfi and Tosun just need to apply a little pressure, which they both did extremely well today and will have the bruises to show it. 

I also remember Tosun making a pretty important block in the game against Wolves as a result of the press. Really just matters how hard working you are. You don't have to be lightning fast to apply pressure; just know where to block lanes and run hard.

7 hours ago, TallPaul1878 said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/taken-year-four-managers-everton-15048977

Welsh newspaper asks why it has taken 4 managers to realise his best position.

After spending a whole season out on the left or shoehorned in here or there We are starting to see the best of Sigurdsson. For me the answer is abundantly obvious.

Rooney was the problem. All previous managers seemed to be in thrall of him and would accommodate him at the expense of the rest of the team. With Rooney gone, Sigurdsson now commands the centre of the park and is beginning to flourish. 

Don’t think you can blame Rooney, he didn’t pick the starting 11

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Lets not get carried away, it was 1 game FFS. 

He has been played in his 'best position' a lot and done fuck all as well as having good games. Even when he has played on the 'left' when we have the ball he has played inside anyway. 

Not the same, and no, he really never got played alongside someone who wasn’t also also a similarly minded player. It’s two games that he’s been better, and he didn’t have the full preseason that the rest of the team had. It’s pretty clear that he was mismanaged and pigeonholed into a team that didn’t fit his strengths last season. At least this season, he’s in a position on the field where he is comfortable and has excelled.

8 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

Not the same, and no, he really never got played alongside someone who wasn’t also also a similarly minded player. It’s two games that he’s been better, and he didn’t have the full preseason that the rest of the team had. It’s pretty clear that he was mismanaged and pigeonholed into a team that didn’t fit his strengths last season. At least this season, he’s in a position on the field where he is comfortable and has excelled.

I agree -- just look how he plays for Iceland in his proper position. 

10 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I don't "blame" Rooney. I said the managers seemed in thrall of him and apparently put themselves under some sort of pressure to use him in that role even though it was clear to see it was affecting Sigurdsson.

The finger of blame is pointed specifically at the managers, just that Rooney was the reason Sigurdsson was shifted to the left or right flank.

Ok, that I can agree with. 

13 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

What isnt the same? No doubt you would expect him to play better with more mobile players that isn'tt in doubt and I don't necessarily disagree that he, among others, were playing in a dysfunctional team last season but I have watched a lot of him now and he can be as influential starting from the left as he can centrally. To be at his best he needs to have players around him and he ideally needs to be in a team with possession, especially if he is playing wide (so that he doesn't have to track back as much, like any winger).

In order to try and independently verify my point I have looked at Squawka ratings for last season. Before anyone says it, I am not using this as the be all and end all measurement, I am simply using it as an independent and impartial source of a players productivity. His  highest rated performances was against Swansea (51) where he played from the left, followed by Palace (50) where he played centrally. His highest rated performance in 2016/17 (80) was also from a wide position.

Below is the average position from the Southampton game and you can see why he was so effective. He is smack bang in the middle of everything but at the same time you could put him in the average position of Richarlison and he would still be pulling all the strings because he has lots of options around him.

image.png.b8c69334a6b4c7d7752ec0750ddf8fb8.png

People get carried away every time he has a good game through the middle and say the same thing. Then he has a crap game next time and go quiet and its rinse and repeat.

5 hours ago, sibdane said:

I agree -- just look how he plays for Iceland in his proper position. 

I don't think he is actually anything special for Iceland. He is just their set piece king who is clearly the best of a bad, but well organised bunch. He was crap at the World Cup but then again he was playing catch up for fitness given his injury.

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

What isnt the same? No doubt you would expect him to play better with more mobile players that isn'ttt in doubt and I don't necessarily disagree that he, among others, were playing in a dysfunctional team last season but I have watched a lot of him now and he can be as influential starting from the left as he can centrally. To be at his best he needs to have players around him and he ideally needs to be in a team with possession, especially if he is playing wide (so that he doesn't have to track back as much, like any winger).

In order to try and independently verify my point I have looked at Squawka ratings for last season. Before anyone says it, I am not using this as the be all and end all measurement, I am simply using it as an independent and impartial source of a players productivity. His  highest rated performances was against Swansea (51) where he played from the left, followed by Palace (50) where he played centrally. His highest rated performance in 2016/17 (80) was also from a wide position.

Below is the average position from the Southampton game and you can see why he was so effective. He is smack bang in the middle of everything but at the same time you could put him in the average position of Richarlison and he would still be pulling all the strings because he has lots of options around him.

image.png.b8c69334a6b4c7d7752ec0750ddf8fb8.png

People get carried away every time he has a good game through the middle and say the same thing. Then he has a crap game next time and go quiet and its rinse and repeat.

I don't think he is actually anything special for Iceland. He is just their set piece king who is clearly the best of a bad, but well organised bunch. He was crap at the World Cup but then again he was playing catch up for fitness given his injury.

He is the lynchpin of Iceland, the Talisman, all because he’s allowed to play where he should be

15 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Not in the games I have watched, I must be unlucky!

If I’m honest, I don’t follow Iceland religiously, as I’m sure you can imagine. But whenever I’ve seen him, playing off the striker, albeit quite deep, his energy and precision through the centre has been the stand out quality. The lad has always had it, he just needs the ball played to him quick and someone capable of finishing (not to mention she can finish)

1 hour ago, Matt said:

If I’m honest, I don’t follow Iceland religiously, as I’m sure you can imagine. But whenever I’ve seen him, playing off the striker, albeit quite deep, his energy and precision through the centre has been the stand out quality. The lad has always had it, he just needs the ball played to him quick and someone capable of finishing (not to mention she can finish)

She? I knew those icy blue eyes where to good to be true!!

• 3 weeks later...

'Why is Sigurdsson still struggling?'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11495309

Not great reading for Sigurdsson!

I don't think he's played that many games as the number 10 behind the striker. Playing out wide would have certainly damaged his stats. He needs a consistent run of games in his correct position and needs to get used to the other players movements around him. He really needs to step up now, justify his price tag and prove his critics wrong.

1 hour ago, Swarzy said:

'Why is Sigurdsson still struggling?'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11495309

Not great reading for Sigurdsson!

I don't think he's played that many games as the number 10 behind the striker. Playing out wide would have certainly damaged his stats. He needs a consistent run of games in his correct position and needs to get used to the other players movements around him. He really needs to step up now, justify his price tag and prove his critics wrong.

Him doing next to nothing from open play has always been my concern with him, right from when we were first linked with him. That worry certainly hasn't gone away and not likely to. It's not like he's a kid still learning, what you see is what you get at this point.

I just dont think he is a player that will raise his level above that of the team. If the team play well, he is likely to be a big part of it but if the team play crap he usually isnt involved.

He never was and never will be a £50mil player but at the same time that doesnt mean he isnt a very good player. With Richarlison you can easily imagine the team playing crap but him causing problems but you dont get that with Siggy.

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

I just dont think he is a player that will raise his level above that of the team. If the team play well, he is likely to be a big part of it but if the team play crap he usually isnt involved.

He never was and never will be a £50mil player but at the same time that doesnt mean he isnt a very good player. With Richarlison you can easily imagine the team playing crap but him causing problems but you dont get that with Siggy.

Couldn't agree more with this, from what we've seen, it would be a bonus if he could change and starting being more of a leader for us on the pitch when we need it.