IGNORED

Ross Barkley

You can't expect a whole team of unearthed gems, though. Expecting Walsh to be a magician sets him up for failure and sets you up for disappointment. I'm sure he will continue to bring in some excellent, as yet unappreciated, players. But, Everton can't just roll the dice on a bunch of unknown quantities. If you've got a solid asset like Barkley, then pay the market rate to keep him unless you are goddamn certain you can get equal if not better production from someone out on the market for less capital. The stakes in the Premier League (and in getting European football) are already high, so letting go of one of your most crucial players and rolling the dice on someone plucked from obscurity could be downright disastrous. Everton are, at the very least, trying to remain stable and competitive in the top six or seven places in the league. It's a very different situation than one found at a relegation-fighting club hoping to move up through risky transfer dealings. Everton's best bet would probably be to combine a conservative strategy of maintaining its currently working formula (paying its best performers what they're worth), while supplementing it with a range of hopeful buys (the aforementioned hopefully unearthed gems) and proven quality that goes straight into the XI in positions of need. You can't expect an XI full of bargain basement gems. If that's how you'd like to see Everton do their business, get ready for a whole lot of instability.

You can't expect a whole team of unearthed gems, though. Expecting Walsh to be a magician sets him up for failure and sets you up for disappointment. I'm sure he will continue to bring in some excellent, as yet unappreciated, players. But, Everton can't just roll the dice on a bunch of unknown quantities. If you've got a solid asset like Barkley, then pay the market rate to keep him unless you are goddamn certain you can get equal if not better production from someone out on the market for less capital. The stakes in the Premier League (and in getting European football) are already high, so letting go of one of your most crucial players and rolling the dice on someone plucked from obscurity could be downright disastrous. Everton are, at the very least, trying to remain stable and competitive in the top six or seven places in the league. It's a very different situation than one found at a relegation-fighting club hoping to move up through risky transfer dealings. Everton's best bet would probably be to combine a conservative strategy of maintaining its currently working formula (paying its best performers what they're worth), while supplementing it with a range of hopeful buys (the aforementioned hopefully unearthed gems) and proven quality that goes straight into the XI in positions of need. You can't expect an XI full of bargain basement gems. If that's how you'd like to see Everton do their business, get ready for a whole lot of instability.

not sure how you extrapolated a whole team of gems when i was talking about 1 to replace barkley. for the style of play we have under koeman he's not the kind of player we need on the right or left of the front 3 for me. but we all see it differently.

not sure how you extrapolated a whole team of gems when i was talking about 1 to replace barkley. for the style of play we have under koeman he's not the kind of player we need on the right or left of the front 3 for me. but we all see it differently.

Sorry. My reaction had more to do with the language you were using and my irritation at the cargo cult mentality that a lot of supporters tend to have in regards to Walsh and Moshiri.

I would still say that, should we be looking to replace Barkley, we should look, first and foremost, towards signing a known quantity who has demonstrated their ability to produce on the pitch. It needs to be a signing showing intent, not a risk (all signings are risks, I know, but hopefully you catch my drift). We should be making a statement with a top quality signing while simultaneously looking for the "gems."

Sorry. My reaction had more to do with the language you were using and my irritation at the cargo cult mentality that a lot of supporters tend to have in regards to Walsh and Moshiri.

I would still say that, should we be looking to replace Barkley, we should look, first and foremost, towards signing a known quantity who has demonstrated their ability to produce on the pitch. It needs to be a signing showing intent, not a risk (all signings are risks, I know, but hopefully you catch my drift). We should be making a statement with a top quality signing while simultaneously looking for the "gems."

side note: cargo culte, great song by serge gainsbourg

agreed on the big signing, although i am worried with all the money in the league now it will be difficult and/or we will overpay.

Why? Are there not other midfielders with at LEAST his ability?

Who would sign for less than 100k a week? No.

Or maybe there are, who knows what 'gems' are out there. But the point is, every player, and more importantly every agent, knows exactly how flush Prem teams are with the latest TV deal. 50k a week players five years ago are now 100k players, that's the market. You either live with it and accept second best.

That said, if it is true Barkley is holding out for 140k, then I think he's being a bellend. But hey, who really knows.

At 23 being offered a contract until he is 28 he is going to want peak wages. The TV money is still making average players earn £100k plus and will only rise. I'm sure Ross doesn't want to be two years down the line seeing lesser players on more money.

I'm not saying guarantee him £140k from the off, but maybe a staggered increase across the contract could do the trick. Before we know it average players will be on £200k per week and we can't afford to be left behind.

He doesn't deserve more than £90k in my opinion. And signing on a 5 year contract for £100k doesn't mean that new deal can't be negotiated during those 5 years if he shows he deserves better contract. Nobody wants unhappy players and if he deserve the bigger paycheck we won't lose him because of that. I'm pretty sure we're capable of paying Lukaku whatever he wants to stay, but that's not the case, because he simply wants to leave. It's in Barkley's interests to accept the deal and stay, otherwise he's risking his career going Rodwell's way. If he prefers being a benchwarmer at £150k he's free to go.

Edited by Haiku

Unfortunately Barkley's keeping his plans very close to his/his agents chest. Ive heard allsorts of crap from him wanting 10 grand a week more to him wanting to be a guaranteed starter if he's fit!

He's one of us surely that will count for something I don't see him getting anywhere near Spurs starting 11 or going to West Ham to be their star player.

Makes me wonder what really goes on during these negotiations.

Bill stop being cryptic- if you know something just say it. Or are you taking the piss about Evertons constant feet dragging in every situation?

It all started a few years ago when every expected transfer was greeted by the club as "to be decided in the next 48 hours" - whether it took 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months. "in 48 hours" is now the Everton equivalent of "whenever" or "manana" or (in Cornwall) 'dreckly'. :)

Strong rumours saying his contract has been signed at 100k a week.

The rumour goes on to say that koeman is fuming... he had been told the contract offer was made months ago when in fact it has just been weeks.

GOT saying both Sources are reliable.

Strong rumours saying his contract has been signed at 100k a week.

The rumour goes on to say that koeman is fuming... he had been told the contract offer was made months ago when in fact it has just been weeks.

GOT saying both Sources are reliable.

I saw that but do take into account mate that it is on GOT and every fucker on there thinks they are 'ITK' thats all

I met Ross on the beach earlier and he confirmed to me that he's signed a five year deal at minimum wage (£7.50ph), problem was that the club were offering too much he said and he wanted to show solidarity with the fans so he had to negotiate the deal down. Diamond.

I'd put a selfie up but it wasn't taken from my best side.

I met Ross on the beach earlier and he confirmed to me that he's signed a five year deal at minimum wage (£7.50ph), problem was that the club were offering too much he said and he wanted to show solidarity with the fans so he had to negotiate the deal down. Diamond.

Shame the picture was ruined really.

Good boy, Ross! [pats Barkley on the head]