IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

Chelsea and liverpool will overtake them with their next matches then they play Chelsea who will put them to the sword.  Your faith in moyes is miswarrented.

How is my faith in Moyes miswarrented when, as @Zoo 2.0 just said, this is a midtable squad at best, and they're currently sitting 4th? You're trying to say it has nothing to do with Moyes?

I disagree that it’s a midtable squad.  I think we have some better players but they have way better depth.  I think they have a lot of good-great players. Antonio, fornals, soucek, coufal, Bowen, cresswell, rice, fabianski, lingard.  Off the bench yarmolenko and lanzini are nice options, even mark noble does a job. We have James DCL Richarlison maybe Allan and the rest are a toss up.  Our depth is nothing we have no impact players on our bench.  Take into account our injuries and our squad is dire.  We have u23 on the bench due to our lack of depth.  

I think their position has everything to do with moyes.  He’s the kind of guy for 4-7th finishes, that’s his lane.  But he is (for me) a guy who just can’t get over that hump.  I got so tired of going away to a top side and the inferiority complex coming out.  That’s why myself (and others) loved Martinez, he got them playing fearless against the top sides and actually had a go, like the Oviedo goal winner against United at old trafford.

reminds me of a music analogy.  A lot of musicians said when they play they play within themselves, playing what they can do.  When they worked for Miles Davis he got them to play stuff they didn’t know they could, and asked for the notes and sounds that wasn’t there yet.  

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

West Ham vs Chelsea today. No-score draw, please?

Think a draw would have possibly been the best result if we're still thinking CL, but I think that's unrealistic personally; we'd need to win five of our last six to have a chance and I don't see that happening. We're going to finish (disaster aside) 8th at worst now so our easiest route to 7th or better (and almost certain EL) is for someone above us to implode, West Ham are the most likely suspects for me. At least after today our fate is back in our hands.

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Think a draw would have possibly been the best result if we're still thinking CL, but I think that's unrealistic personally; we'd need to win five of our last six to have a chance and I don't see that happening. We're going to finish (disaster aside) 8th at worst now so our easiest route to 7th or better (and almost certain EL) is for someone above us to implode, West Ham are the most likely suspects for me. At least after today our fate is back in our hands.

I was thinking that myself. 

32 minutes ago, MikeO said:

If we win our next 2 games we will be in line for 4th spot, can’t see chelsea beating city and we need to beat west ham

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't see how it was much different from the Leeds red to be honest, clearing the ball and catching the player. So consistent bullshit decisions 

I didn't see the Leeds one, so can't comment, but that is never a red card. And you say consistent bullshit but it was anything but because a few minutes later Coufal does the same thing and nothing happens!

48 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think they need to bin VAR. 

A ref in the heat of the moment making a wrong decision is one thing, but its another level to spend 5 mins reviewing the decision and then still get it wrong. 

I have always said that the ref makes the decision right or wrong it’s been that way for 150 years, and worked well enough for all and not so well for all but it worked.  

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think they need to bin VAR. 

A ref in the heat of the moment making a wrong decision is one thing, but its another level to spend 5 mins reviewing the decision and then still get it wrong. 

Think the offside has been well better for it. Most those decisions would have been in favour of the greedy six without var.

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Agreed, I hate VAR but at least they can’t blatantly favor the greedy six anymore.  There is at least some modicum of honesty.

If you have seen any of the decisions then you can see the officials interpret it which ever way they want. If they wanted to favour a side they still can. If anything VAR has showed that the officials just arent very good and it wasn't down to some sort of bias. In the year before VAR, Man Utd had the most pens with 12, followed by Palace (11), Bournemouth (9) and Leicester (7). The first year under VAR it was Man Utd (14), City (11), Watford (8) and Leicester (7).

14 hours ago, pete0 said:

Think the offside has been well better for it. Most those decisions would have been in favour of the greedy six without var.

Does it though? Are those sides just not favoured because traditionally have more of the ball and therefore spend more time in the opposition half?

I don't see how its in the interest of football to have decisions like the one we had at Arsenal when Arsenal had almost the exact opposite happen when they played Fulham. Even more so when you consider the lines aren't clear, they have this stupid shirt sleeve rule and it's unclear exactly when the ball left the attackers foot.

Lawrenson is really becoming a joke, in his prediction for tonight..

"It's great to see Leicester in the FA Cup final but a top-four place has always been their target and the clubs below have narrowed the gap on them in recent weeks."

In the last five games Leicester have taken nine points and the teams chasing have taken 8 (Chelsea), 7 (West Ham), 11 (Liverpool), 8 (Spurs) and 6 (us). The man's a fool.

42 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Lawrenson is really becoming a joke, in his prediction for tonight..

"It's great to see Leicester in the FA Cup final but a top-four place has always been their target and the clubs below have narrowed the gap on them in recent weeks."

In the last five games Leicester have taken nine points and the teams chasing have taken 8 (Chelsea), 7 (West Ham), 11 (Liverpool), 8 (Spurs) and 6 (us). The man's a fool.

Becoming?

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

Does it though? Are those sides just not favoured because traditionally have more of the ball and therefore spend more time in the opposition half?

I don't see how its in the interest of football to have decisions like the one we had at Arsenal when Arsenal had almost the exact opposite happen when they played Fulham. Even more so when you consider the lines aren't clear, they have this stupid shirt sleeve rule and it's unclear exactly when the ball left the attackers foot.

Percentage wise I wouldn't say it's inline with attacks per team. There's been far too many blatant offsides were the linesman and ref have been scared to rule out a goal for the sly six, especially in tight games. 

Looking at us, you think it would be fairer that Liverpool got a last minute winner against us even though Mane was offside?

I agree refs should be more consistent, but that's always been a problem, again usually in favour of the six. 

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

Percentage wise I wouldn't say it's inline with attacks per team. There's been far too many blatant offsides were the linesman and ref have been scared to rule out a goal for the sly six, especially in tight games. 

Looking at us, you think it would be fairer that Liverpool got a last minute winner against us even though Mane was offside?

I agree refs should be more consistent, but that's always been a problem, again usually in favour of the six. 

Taking away the loyalties, yes I do. It was a joke. How is Mane in an advantageous position? How can something like that be for the good of the game when it is as clear as mud.

Liverpool's Last-Gasp Winner Against Everton Controversially Ruled Out By VAR

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

When it is that tight and is anything but clear, advantage should go to the attacking team.

Advantage? That's not advantage that's a whole change to the rules.

They're tight calls but the attackers should time their runs better. Why punish the defenders for keeping a good line? If you're offside, you're offside. It's a black and white call (assuming VAR use the same parameters of when the ball is deemed to be played). Would you scrap goal line technology as they make the tight calls too? 

If you give the attackers the advantage as you call it, you might as well scrap the offside rule as defenders will be forced to drop deeper and deeper as they will be scared of the attacker being allowed a run on them. 

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

I've always said Scrap the offside altogether,  if an attacker is standing in the six yard box its up to the defender to come and mark him. It would open the game up a lot and be much better to watch.

cherry picking is what we call it in the US.  person just hangs around the goal, and the minute you get the ball punt it up and hope for the best.  it would certainly bring back the punt and run mentality of the english game.

21 minutes ago, Bill said:

I've always said Scrap the offside altogether,  if an attacker is standing in the six yard box its up to the defender to come and mark him. It would open the game up a lot and be much better to watch.

Can remember back in the seventies there was a "trial" in the long forgotten Anglo-Italian and Watney cups where players could only be offside in the penalty area, and the NASL in the US had a 35 yard line limit.

Offside though has been part of the game since it became a game so you can play with it but I don't think you can ever scrap it; I personally think VAR should just be allowed one watch of close decisions at real speed, no lines, they'd then have enough to decide whether any "clear and obvious" error had been made. Fast and simple, as it is the forensic lines totally contradict the supposed clear and obvious objectives.