IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

Another world cup is gonna be ruined due to having an unbelievably shit manager.

They only happen once every 4 years... ffs. 

Right there with you with the U.S. team, if we even make it. Probably more talent in that squad than the U.S. has ever had and we're likely to not even qualify from CONCACAF.

6 minutes ago, Louis said:

pfft. You Americans moan every four years about nearly not qualifying for the World Cup, and then qualify. :P

There were rumours that the qualifiers were to be merged for CONMEBOL and CONCACAF in the future. It's a shame those rumours quietened. 

I would love that to happen then we would face better competition.  Although we would really struggle to qualify then.

My local team, Maidenhead Utd, are at home to Tranmere Rovers Tuesday evening next week.  Will be going to that one.  Don''t know whether to go in the 'home' or 'away' bit.:unsure:  We sold our goal machine, Dave Tarpey, to Barnet but still managed to beat league leaders Sutton Utd (away) 2 - 0 on Saturday.

5 hours ago, rubecula said:

enjoy johnh, my local team is also none league (Holyhead Hotspur)  One of my old workmates was the manager there and a few others played for them.

Didn't realize you lived quite so close to my old stomping ground. My wife once lived in Menai Bridge, and I spent six years in Bangor, Llanfairfechan, and Rachub.

7 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Didn't realize you lived quite so close to my old stomping ground. My wife once lived in Menai Bridge, and I spent six years in Bangor, Llanfairfechan, and Rachub.

Have posted this before, but I was evacuated to Bangor when World War ll broke out. Then for some reason my parents decided to move back to Liverpool just in time for the blitz!

29 minutes ago, johnh said:

Have posted this before, but I was evacuated to Bangor when World War ll broke out. Then for some reason my parents decided to move back to Liverpool just in time for the blitz!

Are you sure they didn't just ship you back to Liverpool while staying in Bangor themselves:D.

2 hours ago, johnh said:

Deli Alli had a mare against Malta and he is carrying that form into tonights game.  As soon as England get over the halfway line they lose possession.

found it hard to believe he was left on the pitch for so long,  skillful player but tonight he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.... but he kept on....  I felt sorry for Kane, it was as though he had been ostrasised.  he had to come deep to fight for the ball in nearly the entire match,  as soon as he went forward he was ignored.  Dele Alli was a total prick.

25 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Coverage at the BBC website can be frustrating. About England: "We were..." About Scotland and Northern Ireland: "They were..." Maybe the BBC should be renamed the EBC.

"England are still heading to Russia as it stands. They can't go through tonight..."

I've not gone through the whole online commentary but if you can come up with a "we" comment from a journo on England I'd be interested.

And strictly speaking NI isn't part of GB, it's not the UKBC;).

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

"England are still heading to Russia as it stands. They can't go through tonight..."

I've not gone through the whole online commentary but if you can come up with a "we" comment from a journo on England I'd be interested.

And strictly speaking NI isn't part of GB, it's not the UKBC;).

I can't see the live blog now, but there were several 'we's. Not that it matters much in the overall scheme of things, of course.

True that GB is an island and not a country. I don't understand why the nation fields "Team GB". What about people from the Isle of Man or the Isle of Wight, for example?

5 hours ago, rubecula said:

yes but in the commonwealth games all countries (including IOM) get their own teams. the IOW is part of England however.

oh and a bit of info if you didn't know it even if it is off topic... sorry about that ....  many other small islands enter into the Island Olympics, even the one I ive on. :)

And here was me thinking the Island Games were for Scots living in London.