IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 19:31, Lowensda said:

B - Are you not the one being awkward :lol:

Intent should always be peosecuted. So should dangerous play.

I'll say it again, I don't believe that there's any malice in Mane's action but he was running at an onrushing keeper  (which he knew as that's the reason he's trying the knock the ball around the keeper) with his foot (studs up) at around the 6ft mark. That's dangerous. 

If a player dips his head toward a football around waist height and another players accidentally kicks him in the head going for the reasonable ball, then no-one is really at fault. The defender would understand that the risk of being kicked in the head (when you put your head that close to the ground) is quite likely.

Ederson would never had expected a foot to be that high when he choose to rush the attacker.

It was dangerous play and it was deserving of a red card.

(I can't talk of the other 2 as I haven't seen them).

Here's Ederson post hospital visit. (Sorry about the image source).

Imo, He got off lightly and no major head trauma was caused.

ederson.png?strip=all&w=549

Haha it certainly seems it ?

I get the reason for him being sent off, I maybe have a slightly more sympathetic view on it but don't get me wrong, I know why the ref did what he did but it's made worse because one goes with a foot and the other goes with his head.

Riddle me this, If they both go with their feet (despite not looking at each other to know what the other is doing), should either, both or neither be sent off?

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 20:47, c1982 said:

No, completely different though. None of these high foot incidents have the intent of kicking someone in the head whereas the intent is there with a 2 footed challenge.

Ok so if it's an innocent, but still dangerous challenge that makes contact its a sending off, but if it misses it's fine, as long as it's not intentional.

I don't agree, dangerous and reckless is dangerous and reckless regardless of whether contact is made. They should all either be sending offs (based on the Mane case).

they did a 10 minute segment on that Mané challenge on the number one rated football talk show on TV here.  It was literally 1 minute everyone agreeing it was a straight red, and then 9 minutes on how on earth Lineker, Shearer and Wright could ever make the point that as a manager you'd want your striker to hit opposing players with a flying head kick.

IMO, there is no way Mane didn't see him.  Surprised it's only a 3 game ban.  Of course the injury to the keeper was unintentional, if it wasn't, he'd have to be in jail right now.

Tony Pulis talking about Barry.

On Gareth Barry: "We've only just had Gareth. I've always rated him but you don't realise how good he is until you work with him. Great lad. Gareth has probably been our best player in the games he has been involved in. He's been an outstanding, consistent performer. He is is a fit lad and it's just about managing him. He's a proper professional footballer. He's a pleasure to work with."

Did we get rid too early ? Would he have made any difference to us.?

Just now, Bill said:

Tony Pulis talking about Barry.

On Gareth Barry: "We've only just had Gareth. I've always rated him but you don't realise how good he is until you work with him. Great lad. Gareth has probably been our best player in the games he has been involved in. He's been an outstanding, consistent performer. He is is a fit lad and it's just about managing him. He's a proper professional footballer. He's a pleasure to work with."

Did we get rid too early ? Would he have made any difference to us.?

We didn't get rid, we wanted him to stay and he chose to leave.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Should I have said, did we let him leave too early.?

I'm not really sure you can deny a player like Barry a move tbh, Bill. He'd served us well, we offered him a new contract, but he wouldn't have played as much as he wanted to so out of respect we granted his wish to move on. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

The bottom line is that we brought in a bunch of players for the role occupied by Gareth Barry. Even though he's playing better than them right now, he wouldn't have had a look-in an Everton. IMO, he was wise to make the move. Our loss, sadly, is Pulis' gain.

Wise would be the manager recognising how good of a job he does and making him first choice over the two numpties. 

13 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Wise would be the manager recognising how good of a job he does and making him first choice over the two numpties. 

you complain about the speed of the team yet you want to replace Gana a fast player with Barry one of the slowest players to ever play in the premier league?  i can't take you seriously pete.

11 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

you complain about the speed of the team yet you want to replace Gana a fast player with Barry one of the slowest players to ever play in the premier league?  i can't take you seriously pete.

Barry covered just as much as Gana, but rather than chasing shadows he done so by moving into the right position. That said he should have been starting over Schneiderlin. Sets the tempo, protects the back 4 and is always willing to take the ball and unlike Schneiderlin looks forward with it. 

Davies should be next to him instead of Gana. Great duo ruined by the lack of appreciation for the role by Koeman who picks a runner and a Man United reserve. 

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Duffy having a bit of a stinker tonight but both Dunk and Ake are doing well. 

Anyone else think much of King? This is a difficult game for him tonight but he has looked tidy and whilst he has had a couple of shots blocked so far, if they keep giving him half a yard he will put one on target. 

yes i wanted king in the summer window, i also think he looks like a decent player, probably be reasonably priced too.