IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

25 minutes ago, Louis said:

I wanted USA to lose that one. 

A World Cup play-off where USA had to visit and host Syria would have been fascinating.

We looked like we were going to. I still don't understand it. I think tonkaroost is right; we do have too many "systems" players, but there's still enough individual talent on that squad that we should be handily beating the likes of Honduras.

La Liga president has again threatened if Catalonia leave Spain that their teams would not play in La Liga.  Not only is he a complete idiot but i love this.  They would join Ligue 1 (French prime minister already said as much) as well as Espanyol and Girona joining Ligue 1.  the El Clasico would now become Le Classique with Barca/PSG.  Espanyol a solid mid table side and Girona newly promoted would help increase the level of compeition too.

La Liga would then become like Germany, with Real winning it every year and Atletico the Dortmund of the league.  

6 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Mane off for a shit house challenge, foot high in a 60:40 in the keepers favour. Neville moaning the ref has ruined the game the joke, he's kicked a player in the head. If it was a Stoke player you'd be asking for a longer ban. 

Lineker and Savage say it was a bad decision, Phil Neville and David James say it was spot on. Not seen it yet myself.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

complete accident, but still a definite red

Don't see how it's an accident. If the keeper wasn't there he'd not have threw his leg at it. If he'd gone with his head I'd say that would be a genuine accident and just a yellow but that was disgusting from Mane. Best he could have hoped for was for Ederson to shit out. 

Shame the derby isn't sooner. He'll be a big miss for them. 

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Don't see how it's an accident. If the keeper wasn't there he'd not have threw his leg at it. If he'd gone with his head I'd say that would be a genuine accident and just a yellow but that was disgusting from Mane. Best he could have hoped for was for Ederson to shit out. 

Shame the derby isn't sooner. He'll be a big miss for them. 

Because his eyes don't leave the ball even during the run up to it. Still dangerous play, but I don't think he intended to take the keeper out

I can see why he was sent off but Mane is only ever going to go with his foot. Studs aren't up and he is only trying to play the ball. As a keeper he knows what he is about to take and he does really well. 

Liverpool were ripping City to shreds at times. There isn't much between the squads but they were better than City whereas we bent down and asked for a good Rodgering against 10 men. Just lucky they were as wasteful then as Liverpool were in that first half.

Just seen another interesting challenge. City whip a ball in from the left, along the floor. Mignolet slides out and claims the ball at roughly head height (but laying on the floor). Otamendi slides in along the ground. Right foot outstretched with studs up, left knee bent behind him. Mignolet gets their first, Otamendi misses with his right foot but gets him with his left knee. Sliding and under no control. 

It's a fairly common scenario in a game of football but why is that any different to the high foot. Far more out of control, far more dangerous and potentially the keeper is far more exposed yet noone batters an eyelid. The only difference is in one challenge the ball is in the air and the other is on the floor.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

I can see why he was sent off but Mane is only ever going to go with his foot. Studs aren't up and he is only trying to play the ball. As a keeper he knows what he is about to take and he does really well. 

Liverpool were ripping City to shreds at times. There isn't much between the squads but they were better than City whereas we bent down and asked for a good Rodgering against 10 men. Just lucky they were as wasteful then as Liverpool were in that first half.

Studs not up? Are you kidding?

So are studs not up, if the bottom/sole of the boot makes contact with something otger than the floor?

FYI I don't think it was deliberate and there was no malicious intent. The rules are the rules however and having seen our plAyers sent off for a lot less. It's reckless by Mane and luckily didn't cause any serious harm.

1 hour ago, Lowensda said:

Studs not up? Are you kidding?

So are studs not up, if the bottom/sole of the boot makes contact with something otger than the floor?

FYI I don't think it was deliberate and there was no malicious intent. The rules are the rules however and having seen our plAyers sent off for a lot less. It's reckless by Mane and luckily didn't cause any serious harm.

He is pointing his toe down, its just that when your leg is at that angle thats what pointing your toe down looks like (well it does for me). If you went for a traditional studs up challenge, his toes would be pointing in the air. He is trying to toe the ball ahead of the keeper. Thats how you can tell he didnt mean in because if he wanted to hurt him he would have gone with a stamping action and his toes would have been in the air. I presume you have played footy so you should know what I mean.

Stills will always make it look bad and as I can said I can see why he was sent off, but at the same time, its one of these where he hasn't meant it, but he has got there late and I have sympathy for those challenges (probably because I am generally late into a challenge!).

On the Mane challenge, where I feel there was no malice, his foot is dangerously high and he has no control over it with him jumping. Clear red in my opinion. I like the 'it's not a red anywhere else on the pitch' shouts from some of the pundits - no it's 3 or 4 reds if someone is running at full speed before launching a boot that high!!! Luckily, it'd never happen anywhere else on the pitch to this extent.