IGNORED

Phil Neville

One on the pitch and one off it.

Hmm, don't see why we would need one off the pitch and one on it. For me the captain should do all duties as that's what he's there for. Someone on GOT mentioned Darron Gibson too, that could be a good appointment...

what was with the nonsense animations on the above link. Just what you'd expect over there though. Neville will have his detractors, and some won't be too upset to see him go, but he's been a good club servant in the six or seven years he's been with us, but unfortunately never had the opportunity to go up and lift something as team captain. I wish him well with his future endeavors, and take this opportunity to thank him for his involvement. He's had a very eventful career and moments both here and with Manchester United in his 17 years or so of playing. Wish him well to what he does from here on.

what was with the nonsense animations on the above link. Just what you'd expect over there though.

I'm a member just so that I can read the boards (as you can't if you're only being a guest). The amount of shite they talk over there is quite something.

Maybe Ossie as club captain and Jags as first team captain....sure we've had separate people doing the two roles in the past.

I can only think of Weir being club captain, and Neville taking the arm band when he wasnt playing. I dont recall us ever having more than just a captain publicly other than Yobo being vice captain, and after what happened there I wouldn't do it again if I was Moyes.. We know whos been second choice by them getting the arm band when the captain hasnt played, like Jags now and Arteta before him. But I would give Baines the armband personally, I think he's a good role model and a good pro, he might not talk a lot on the pitch, but neither did Beckham for England, or even Dunc. I dont think a modern day captain needs a big gob. Stevie over the park isnt much of a shouter, and he is a great captain.

I'll remember Neville with good memories, that tackle, bringing the team together off the pitch, being a model pro and a great representative of the club.

I wish him well, and I think he will be an excellent manager in the near future.

Think it all depends on the opposition tbh, he certainly hasn't been a bench player for the last 2 seasons, and Coleman has only just got the RB position this season remember.

Hibbert was first choice before he was injured.

The only reason Neville has started do many games in the last 2 seasons is because of the injuries to Hibbert, Coleman and Gibson

When everyone has been fit he has hardly ever started

Whilst I must note that football has only been relatively a recent interest of mine, I realise we're saying goodbye to a piece of English football history. And only for that:

citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif

Oh and by the way: Stoke City and Aston Villa would be leading the race to sign him. Would be. You never know with these kind of articles.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/04/10/stoke-city-aston-villa-lead-the-race-to-sign-phil-neville/

Edited by Mirallas

I think Gibson could be the ideal captain. Strong, vocal, consistent. All the other choices are at the end of their careers or too inconsistent. Otherwise it would be Heitinga.

I'd give it to Heitinga but I've no idea how much longer he's going to be at Everton.

I don't feel Gibson is a suitable choice. Just not a name some would feel comfortable with. Only been here a short time. Would feel better if a more recognized club name or someone that has been involved at GP longer would undertake duties that's all. Even Heitinga doesn't quite fit. Osman and Jagielka as mentioned, would be better choices for this capacity.

I don't feel Gibson is a suitable choice. Just not a name some would feel comfortable with. Only been here a short time. Would feel better if a more recognized club name or someone that has been involved at GP longer would undertake duties that's all. Even Heitinga doesn't quite fit. Osman and Jagielka as mentioned, would be better choices for this capacity.

Neville had been here for a smaller period of time than Gibson before he was made captain.

Agreed.

Whilst some of his latter performances led me to near tears, he can be associated with a far more professional Everton. None of the "Gazza having a laugh with Ince before getting knocked out of the cup" etc.

Never the best of players, but one of the best attitudes. Now he is going at the end of the season, my need to vent whenever he is picked is lessened, and it's more important he feels appreciated for his time here.

Im not really feeling the notion of Gibson being the captain. I dont see it in him and too often he lets games pass him by.

Baines and Jags would be my two but without them there arent really too many other realistic options (especially with the future in mind).

I think most have agreed that Phil isn't perhaps the most skillfull player to pull on an Everton shirt, but plenty of people with a better inside knowledge of the club have said he is/has been a Very good captain.

If I were Moyes I'd ask Phil himself who would be the best choise as the next Everton captain, I'd say he would have a pretty good idea.He will know, out of Jags, Gibson, Osman and any other name you care to band about, who would be likely to step up to the job.

He may well know the players better than Moyes!

I'd hate for Jags to be captain. Stereotypical school boys choice, loud mouth with too much shouting and not enough concentrating. Rather Heitinga, as he gives off a leader vibe.

strange explanation Pete. Heits has had a crap season and doesn't play as much. Jags or Gibson for me.