IGNORED

John Stones

What would the posts be on here if he'd lost the ball and they'd scored the winner in the 90th minute? He got away with it, but he may not next time. That's why its unprofessional. He's a defender and his prime responsibility is to stop the opposition scoring, that means eliminating or minimising risk. Dribbling in your own six yard box does neither.

I'm in complete agreement John - there seems to be some media love in with defenders who can dribble? - or more to the point choose to dribble. Wheres this all come from???

By all accounts Bobby Moore was one of the best ever, he was whilst not being fast or good in the air. It was because he could read the game expertly and make superb tackles, be in the right place at the right time and his distribution was good. Good distribution does not mean "not hoofing it" - it means knowing when to pass and when to go long and being able to ping a long ball.

I think there's a bit of an overreaction going on here. I shit myself as much as anyone at what he did last night but did it make think he doesn't want to be here or that he's gotten too big for his boots? No, he's not doing anything different to before he handed in a transfer request. He's always been a moment away from disaster. He's also always a moment from the sublime.

You must have missed the bit where he turned on the fans.

I've not seen it, but I don't have to. We didn't concede, and the lad showed composure and self belief that we usually dream off. I would likely have pooped my pants in real time but the stick he's getting in the aftermath is insane! Doesn't want to play for us?! Fuck me, the lad has been very good so far and (take a deep breath, Haf :P) he's only 21! Lessons are not learnt overnight. It's also not going to stop him playing as he does, and frankly thank the Gods for that!

We have, without doubt, one of the best developing CBs in the game. A large part of the anger is coming from our fear of our collective defensive capabilities. He is going to save us many more points than he costs us, and he is putting us on the map for (not only him) developing world class talent.

I want him here, playing his game, as long as possible and he's made no effort to force me to think otherwise that he wants to play. The TR is almost certainly his agent trying to get more money, but his performances on the pitch say to me this; I'm confident, I'm learning and I want to win. It's that simple.

Folks sure getting bent over this. It was fucking STUPID, but he has done some stellar playing for us so far (along with some mediocre moments), so let him work through this. If you want to talk about disrespecting the supporters, then look at the bald guy standing behind him in the green shirt.

Tbh The transfer request nailed him for me. 100% he'll jump shit at any given opportunity. No loyalty.

If he never put the transfer request in would his gesture still have been took the same way?

As you've just said the request nailed him for you, so it doesn't matter what he does you will always have a problem with him now.

I shit myself when he was doing that too, but if we saw Pique doing that for Barca everyone would be praising his skills and confidence.

We have a player with the ability to get himself out of trouble without conceding possession. How many times have we seen him stroll alongside a forward and just walk away with the ball and pass to a team mate rather than have to bust a gut to get back make a slide tackle and put it out for a corner at the side of our box. The other players trust him, if they don't I'm sure he would have been told.

Edited by StevO

strange reading many comments, seems to me that alot of our fans have a "we're not worthy approach" to some players.

For some reason many think that the park end or wherever the anxious noises came from are a bunch of neanderthals who don't deserve such a cultured and confident player "enjoy him while we can as he will be playing for Barca in a couple of years"...

Lets get it right - it was the wrong decision, does anyone want to debate that issue? The only thing seemingly good about it was that he displayed "composure" - well if he got tackled the word composure would have been "stupidity" and the forum would have had a melt down if we conceded so late due to a player dribbling 8 yards away from goal.

so lets see Risk/Reward time...

Reward:-

• looks good on the eye
  • meant he could step away from an opponent and have time to pick a pass much easier and keep possession
  • took one player out the game

Risk:-

• he gets tackled and they have an easy chance to score
  • we lose another game late on and the defence comes under more scrutiny
  • gets slated in the press and it affects his game

for me alot of it is about Evertonians having pride and kudos in having a player who is getting much attention.... strange really as that player is a defender and we have been leaking goals galore. I'd rather have the kudos of scoring like we have whilst keeping the opposition out... its not FIFA 16 - its real life football.

I think we have a lot of frustrated fans looking for anything and everything to point their finger at. People are confused as to why we are in the position that we are in. And, the club/manager are making it easy for them to feel like the team's low level of performance isn't being seriously addressed.

Many of the fans at the park are moaning and groaning, and ironically cheering and jeering. Anything they can jump on, they will. It's made that much easier when the player angering them at the moment also has a negative narrative about them. Howard can't command his area and dives the wrong way. Stones thinks he's too big for Everton. Kone is useless. Etc, etc, etc.

I'm not a hot-headed person at all, but, If I was a player, I'd be telling the yahoos who think they could do a better job to get off their drunk asses and go fuck themselves. Fans are mad about the players' arrogance, but fail to realize their own.

About the Stones thing: Everybody knows it's stupid to piss about with the ball inside your own penalty area. He knows it. We know it. I'm sure he would have gotten an earful in earnest or in jest from the manager and his teammates. There's no need to boo him or harass him. Cheer a player on when they do something positive. There's no need to ever boo or harass a player for doing something risky.

If he fucked it up and gave the game away, that's a different story. Obviously, you would have permission to kill his first-born son. It's a fair consolation for getting a little bit of shit at the water cooler on Monday morning...

If he tried, failed they score, rightly criticised.

He tries, makes the striker look a complete twat, calmly distributes ball OW MA FOOKING GAWD!!!!!!! The guy is class.

It didn't cost us. Wallow in his amazing ability.

not really, he actually turned again, the player (Son) then went arm to arm with him and the ref blew for a soft foul. In essence he hadn't got away - the player actually did a good job of hustling him and the ref ended the duel incorrectly... if we got points for artistic impression etc then yeah lets do it every week and show how John Stones is great at F.A Singles - otherwise letds not be stupid.

not really, he actually turned again, the player (Son) then went arm to arm with him and the ref blew for a soft foul. In essence he hadn't got away - the player actually did a good job of hustling him and the ref ended the duel incorrectly... if we got points for artistic impression etc then yeah lets do it every week and show how John Stones is great at F.A Singles - otherwise letds not be stupid.

Why do you hate our good players and love our shite ones? :P

he pulled it off so who cares. he's off in the summer anyways so not like we should worry. just keep him in the shop window and get the 50-60m pounds and re-invest. mori and jags will be a solid partnership and galloway a great sub. i'm not worried if he leaves or stays, class player.

Mori and Jags for how long, Jags aint getting any younger id much rather Mori and Stones as our partnership in the future with Galloway at LB.

he had to turn again as he didn't have an option

Mori and Jags for how long, Jags aint getting any younger id much rather Mori and Stones as our partnership in the future with Galloway at LB.

i think it will be mori and jags for one season with galloway seeing heavy time in cup matches or injury subs. year after i see it being galloway and mori or another youngster by then who's stepped up. holgate, foulds, browning, pennington, etc.

galloway isn't a LB, he's a CB. garbutt is our future LB, quality player right there.

He was clearly away you crank, what have you got for eyes?