IGNORED

John Stones

And someone is starting to notice that Barkley is becoming a better player, playing in a deeper position.

I'd have thought there's something approaching an overwhelming consensus on TT that Barkley's best position is further forward than the DCMs, but not as far forward as Deulofeu and Kone/Mirallas. A sort of "withdrawn #10," since he isn't quite a 10 and is best with ball at feet moving forward. Slightly left of center of pitch going forward, too. So .......

.................. McCarthy ................ Barry ..................

........................................... Barkley .......................

...... Deulofeu ................................... Mirallas .......

(Sorry, should be in Barkley thread.)

Edited by Elston Gunnn

I lost all respect for the lad after the summer. Wouldn't bother me too much if we got a good fee for him. Right now he's an Everton player and I'll get behind him but I think his card is marked.

It had the opposite effect on me , I was really impressed with his attitude , a lot of players would have thrown their toys out of the pram if they had a transfer request turned down but he just got on with it

It had the opposite effect on me , I was really impressed with his attitude , a lot of players would have thrown their toys out of the pram if they had a transfer request turned down but he just got on with it

I agree completely with this. I don't think we can give him too much stick with how he's reacted since the summer - I think my head would be turned if I could triple my salary!

For me he learned a lesson, one that many 30 year old footballers fail to grasp.

Imagine being 20-21 and someone saying "here's £30m guaranteeing yours and your families future for 5 years work...."

He will have had his agent and his family telling him "you could get injured next week and all you'll get is insurance and your £20m a week contract"

I lost all respect for the lad after the summer. Wouldn't bother me too much if we got a good fee for him. Right now he's an Everton player and I'll get behind him but I think his card is marked.

He's a young lad who was unduly influenced by a greedy agent. Personally, I don't read too much into what happened.

I agree completely with this. I don't think we can give him too much stick with how he's reacted since the summer - I think my head would be turned if I could triple my salary!

For me he learned a lesson, one that many 30 year old footballers fail to grasp.

Imagine being 20-21 and someone saying "here's £30m guaranteeing yours and your families future for 5 years work...."

He will have had his agent and his family telling him "you could get injured next week and all you'll get is insurance and your £20m a week contract"

Personally, I thought it was shitty what he did (badly advised or not) and I didn't agree with Evertonians fawning over themselves to sing his name after his request was denied. However, I don't hold it against him (and didn't at the time either) and would like to hang on to him as long as possible.

Personally, I thought it was shitty what he did (badly advised or not) and I didn't agree with Evertonians fawning over themselves to sing his name after his request was denied. However, I don't hold it against him (and didn't at the time either) and would like to hang on to him as long as possible.

I certainly wouldn't be joining in with the happy clappers and singing a beatles song.

If he had come out and said "I'm flattered by Chelsea but I love it here at Everton" - then he would be on his way to becoming a club legend. I completely understand why his head was turned - I still don't like it. At the end of the day, what is good for the goose is good for the gander - Everton offered him a substantial payrise over what Barnsley could pay him and he left, we can't be too surprised if his head is turned by a 5 x payrise.

I think the lad understand the "passion" of the fans the way mcmahon and rooney did. He can still become a club legend - after all Stevie G laa is one for Liverpool despite trying to leave twice.

I certainly wouldn't be joining in with the happy clappers and singing a beatles song.

If he had come out and said "I'm flattered by Chelsea but I love it here at Everton" - then he would be on his way to becoming a club legend. I completely understand why his head was turned - I still don't like it. At the end of the day, what is good for the goose is good for the gander - Everton offered him a substantial payrise over what Barnsley could pay him and he left, we can't be too surprised if his head is turned by a 5 x payrise.

I think the lad understand the "passion" of the fans the way mcmahon and rooney did. He can still become a club legend - after all Stevie G laa is one for Liverpool despite trying to leave twice.

So if you sing the John Stones song you are now a happy clapper!

Has it ever occurred to you that the song was more of a dig at Mourinho and Chelsea than to blindly support John Stones?

So if you sing the John Stones song you are now a happy clapper!

Has it ever occurred to you that the song was more of a dig at Mourinho and Chelsea than to blindly support John Stones?

I think happy clapper is a term for a fan that is just happy seeing the team play who doesn't bother understanding the political complexities or question deeper non footballing matters.

Simple as that. Kind of a compliment really, nice way to be.

• 2 weeks later...

i love watching this lad play. Some will critique him for being too showy but you can actually see him eyeing the easy ball but it literally is too easy for him. He will be the best centre half England have ever produced by a mile. The angles he makes to receive the ball are ridiculous. I can see him being a real leader as well, Luiz £50 mill? Let's start there and when the serious talk starts we will listen. Barca will be the club you watch

gotta hand it to moyes for having the eye to find this lad, what a player

Equally it's reassuring to know Martinez was already there before him as Wigan manager, we just made a more attractive offer.

Moyes wasn't going to sign him till our scout dug in and really persuaded him. Credit to the scout for being so strong. Bet Martinez went nuts, stones was on the way to his wigan medical when we called.

Edited by Hafnia