IGNORED

John Stones

Ive read on a few sites that Chelsea are prepared to break the record transfer for an english defender with a bid of over £30m

Ive read on a few sites that Chelsea are prepared to break the record transfer for an english defender with a bid of over £30m

Yes, but they have sold a defender for £50m, that is what his price should be based on.

I'm standing in the Everton shop while I post this and people are buying Stones shirts in front of my eyes. £100 please mate, £89 that please, kerching.

I hope to god we don't sell him as there's going to be a lot of disgruntled people.

Not as disgruntled as me buying this fucking pyjama of an away kit

I'm standing in the Everton shop while I post this and people are buying Stones shirts in front of my eyes. £100 please mate, £89 that please, kerching.

I hope to god we don't sell him as there's going to be a lot of disgruntled people.

Not as disgruntled as me buying this fucking pyjama of an away kit

Even more disgruntled will be the people who took their Stones shirts back with 26 on. Only to be told that its was 'their fault' for not waiting for the new squad numbers. Who then MAY have repurchased, and now with the possibility of him leaving....

Strange that someone who worked as hard as Sir Alex was lucky?

If you don't consider Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt & Neville coming through the same youth team as a bit lucky.... Surely you have to give "some" credit to the scouts and youth coaches. Or did they just do well because Ferguson worked hard?

If you don't consider Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt & Neville coming through the same youth team as a bit lucky.... Surely you have to give "some" credit to the scouts and youth coaches. Or did they just do well because Ferguson worked hard?

Who set the system up and put the staff in place?

• 3 weeks later...

No matter what is said, I still can't quite see the big deal with this kid, or at least it's simply a name that generates no excitement or little interest, being serious. Ok, people are saying, he's one for the future or a very good player, but I'm just skeptical maybe. Until we can actually see him out there and involved and playing regularly I can do little but reserve judgment for the time in question.'Best young defender in England' - sounds like an exaggeration. If this kid lives up to hype, fair enough, but it's all a bit too much too soon for somehttp://www.teamtalk.com/championship/8467240/Barnsley-boss-David-Flitcroft-left-numb-by-John-Stones-departure

This is so funny

• 2 months later...

I would suggest everybody looking back at the two Arsenal goals and keeping a close eye on Stones position and body language for both. Quite frankly lazy lacklustre defending and I'm not talking about the poor pass for the second. I'm watching his positioning when both balls are delivered. I said this a while back he's been shit and was shot down by certain members of this forum.

I also thought he had a part in the sending off of Barry.

I would suggest everybody looking back at the two Arsenal goals and keeping a close eye on Stones position and body language for both. Quite frankly lazy lacklustre defending and I'm not talking about the poor pass for the second. I'm watching his positioning when both balls are delivered. I said this a while back he's been shit and was shot down by certain members of this forum.

He's not perfect - but for a lad so young playing a mentally demanding position he is very very good. I picked up the 1-2 in real time and the first goal he did let the man go as picked up on the highlight shows.

Thing is he will learn - thats what he does.

Guest Howard's way

the thing i find hard to accept is jags makes mistake after mistake and it slips under the radar but due to stones gaining so much attraction due to his ability, the spot light will be on him every single time...

He'll make lots more mistakes but so does kompany and terry and they are renowned as the best.

Edited by Howard's way

Doesn't really matter about the positioning of the centre-backs, the fact is that both crosses were Howard's, particularly the first which Howard could have caught if he'd been off his line quicker. At worst, he could have punched it. Instead, he is flapping about in no-man's land. Same for the second.

Agree Howard is at fault but there's also blame on Stones for both goals..... Loses his man on both.

Agree Howard is at fault but there's also blame on Stones for both goals..... Loses his man on both.

MC11's point does push me to think about Stones's weaknesses as well as strengths. I am always annoyed when a footballer falls asleep, loafs, ball-watching. I haven't focused enough on Stones to notice whether ball-watching is a major weakness for him, but it's possible.

I suspect we are -- certainly I am -- impressed with his confidence with the ball at his feet, especially his willingness to come forward, across midfield, fending off challenges. He gets credit for fearlessness and smarts. Clever moves pretty regularly; applause dribbling. And he's made quite a few rescue slide tackles, prohibiting shot opportunities. And I'd guess there's something of an expectation that he'll come good for some headers for goals.

But maybe MC11's spotted a task-- a very basic defensive must -- that Stones does not perform with the requisite consistency. Worth our attention, if for no other reason than that we can disagree and call each other wankers and bellends, for not having an elementary understanding of the position.

MC11's point does push me to think about Stones's weaknesses as well as strengths. I am always annoyed when a footballer falls asleep, loafs, ball-watching. I haven't focused enough on Stones to notice whether ball-watching is a major weakness for him, but it's possible.

I suspect we are -- certainly I am -- impressed with his confidence with the ball at his feet, especially his willingness to come forward, across midfield, fending off challenges. He gets credit for fearlessness and smarts. Clever moves pretty regularly; applause dribbling. And he's made quite a few rescue slide tackles, prohibiting shot opportunities. And I'd guess there's something of an expectation that he'll come good for some headers for goals.

But maybe MC11's spotted a task-- a very basic defensive must -- that Stones does not perform with the requisite consistency. Worth our attention, if for no other reason than that we can disagree and call each other wankers and bellends, for not having an elementary understanding of the position.

not a big issue when he will be sold for 50m plus. let the other team figure that out over time, we will keep it secret and exploit it when we play the bastards.

Worth our attention, if for no other reason than that we can disagree and call each other wankers and bellends, for not having an elementary understanding of the position.

Can I just hold my hand up at this point and admit I don't have even an elementary understanding of the art of defending (said it before), so I've never called anyone a wanker or a bellend for their opinions on it and never will :unsure:.

Can I just hold my hand up at this point and admit I don't have even an elementary understanding of the art of defending (said it before)....

Oh, I'd bet your understanding is more elementary than mine. Or maybe less elementary. More or less.

But MC11's COCH ("comprehension of center half") -- and that of countless others -- is sure to be way better than ours put together.

Wait. That's not quite right.

He does seem a little less excited to be out on the pitch this season. That Stones smile hasn't been out like it was all last season.

Oh, I'd bet your understanding is more elementary than mine. Or maybe less elementary. More or less.

But MC11's COCH ("comprehension of center half") -- and that of countless others -- is sure to be way better than ours put together.

Wait. That's not quite right.

id rather not talk about MCs COCH to be honest....

I played centre-half for most of my footballing days. There is a problem for defenders when a ball comes into the six yard box but there is no shout from the goalkeeper. The six yard box is the goalkeepers and I have been clattered by a goalie when I have gone for the same ball because he didn't shout. I don't think you can blame any of the defenders for the two goals. Regardless of whether they 'lost their man' it was Howard's ball for both goals. I have seen just as many goals scored because a defender went for the ball and collided with his own goalie which ended with neither of them getting the ball. What we don't know is: did Howard shout? If he did, then the defenders are blameless. If he didn't shout, then he should have done.

Never ever decide a ball is someone else's. My manager used to sub players for that...school yard basics.

If the goalkeeper doesn't call then you deal with it. Professional players shouldn't even think, it should be instinctive.

If he did call for it and then not make a move for it, he needs shooting.