IGNORED

John Stones

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/everton/news/moyes-stones-destined-for-big-things_263693.html

Interesting...

"They like to start games from the back, but John will go on to big things, I've no doubt about that."

he's already on to big things David.... my question has always been "would John Stones be the touted talent that he is now - if David Moyes was still our manager?"

My thoughts are "absolutely not"... for all my criticism of his dribbling in the 6 yard box etc, it is clear that Martinez has given him free license to express himself. I will be honest - unless there was an injury crisis Moyes would not have played Stones. The lad could have been another Shane Duffy (I doubt to that extent) - there is no way he would have been given the chance he has had - Moyes rightly or wrongly would have had him getting rid nearly every time, not just the 6 yard box.

Edited by Hafnia

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/everton/news/moyes-stones-destined-for-big-things_263693.html

Interesting...

"They like to start games from the back, but John will go on to big things, I've no doubt about that."

he's already on to big things David.... my question has always been "would John Stones be the touted talent that he is now - if David Moyes was still our manager?"

My thoughts are "absolutely not"... for all my criticism of his dribbling in the 6 yard box etc, it is clear that Martinez has given him free license to express himself. I will be honest - unless there was an injury crisis Moyes would not have played Stones. The lad could have been another Shane Duffy (I doubt to that extent) - there is no way he would have been given the chance he has had - Moyes rightly or wrongly would have had him getting rid nearly every time, not just the 6 yard box.

I completely agree. Moyes' "safety first" approach would have destroyed Stones' natural learning curve.

I LOVE John Stones. Even when he's playing a bit poo, form is temporary, class is permanent. He is PURE class. The best of the best (or will be).

Hoddle and Steve Mc saying Offeres for Stones should start at 60m or an open check. At least someone talks sense, always had faith in Hoddle

:unsure:

I'm sorry but if we got offered £60m + we'd be mental to turn that down, that would buy us a quarter of a new stadium ?

If we ever sell Stones we need to replace him with a hard nosed centre-half. Someone like Shawcross. We also need a hard case in mid-field.

I never understand how he is ever referenced. Whilst I know what you're getting at, I still think it would be a massive step back if we went to the hard guy at the back.

We don't need another defender who can 'play it out from the back', we need someone who can 'defend'. Win tackles, win headers, have the opposing strikers looking over their shoulders. We are too nice in defence. Think 'set piece' just outside our penalty area, not only do Howard and the back four panic but most of the supporters do too.

We don't need another defender who can 'play it out from the back', we need someone who can 'defend'. Win tackles, win headers, have the opposing strikers looking over their shoulders. We are too nice in defence. Think 'set piece' just outside our penalty area, not only do Howard and the back four panic but most of the supporters do too.

we need someone who can do both, simple as that. Having a thug at the back is easily played around.

The confidence will come back if we have someone who command and lead, and that doesn't have to be a tough guy

Because he's young and doesn't look like a unit it seems to crop up as a negative against stones, yet I've not seen it be a glaring issue. if it was the likes of Andy Carroll would have a field day.

You've only got to look at agility and speed of top attacking players, look at Aguero's goal yesterday, to realise what's most important in modern day elite defending. I'd say Smalling is probably ideal shape and size, I'd have started partnering them up internationally shortly after season started.

I think I mentioned the other day that Barkley could probably do with less upper body weights. I think it's affected his fitness a little.

From a personal perspective (as an amateur), I was 20 years old and 11st 6lb at 5 ft 10. I wanted muscles and bulked pretty well. I went from being a player that could sprint and run all game to one that needed breathers.

For me core strength is the biggest factor in football. Bulking doesn't equal strength. If they do weights in the very heavy range for up to 5 reps they will get strength gains but less of the muscle hypertrophy which is around 8-10 reps.

Stones has the perfect physique, he will get a bit bigger naturally so we don't need him to push on that one if it affects his acceleration and aerial ability.

Why does this keep happening???

Apparently he is Mr Composure.... last minute pen against Stoke - needless. Dribbling in his 6 yard box against Spurs - needless. And last night could have got us 2 pennos against us....

For someone so elegant he is making decisions like he doesn't really care about the team...I'm sorry but what else is there to say? Is he too good to be beaten by a player and decides one way or another he's getting them???

If this was Joseph Yobo there would be uproar, he is very Joey esque at times.

Why does this keep happening???

Apparently he is Mr Composure.... last minute pen against Stoke - needless. Dribbling in his 6 yard box against Spurs - needless. And last night could have got us 2 pennos against us....

For someone so elegant he is making decisions like he doesn't really care about the team...I'm sorry but what else is there to say? Is he too good to be beaten by a player and decides one way or another he's getting them???

If this was Joseph Yobo there would be uproar, he is very Joey esque at times.

I think he needs to go back to basics.... All this dribbling back and forth is going to get us into trouble at some point... He seems to want to beat his man 3 or 4 times before releasing it now. Whereas before he take someone on and play it short (neat & tidy). He was a very lucky boy last night with that challenge on Sterling. It was stone wall

I think he needs to go back to basics.... All this dribbling back and forth is going to get us into trouble at some point... He seems to want to beat his man 3 or 4 times before releasing it now. Whereas before he take someone on and play it short (neat & tidy). He was a very lucky boy last night with that challenge on Sterling. It was stone wall

He reminds of a couple of lads I used to play football with on a Sunday - when they got to play for Buxton, Cammel Lairds and were getting paid you could see it in their game - and not for the right reasons, they played as if they thought they were too good for our level.

The arrogance was the wrong arrogance - they treated opponents as if they weren't good enough for them, they moaned at team mates even when they made mistakes, I can see this in Stones unfortuantely.

For me he needs a bit of a slap - i've said it before if Roy Keane was on the pitch he would be left in no doubt what his "composure" was considered as.

Personally I think Funes Mori is not a million miles away from him - far better in the air, good tackler, has pace, can bring the ball out. Its just that he isn't English.

Need someone to moan at.

It'll be a long time before we see more than 2 £50m+ players in our first team again. John can do all the turns he wants, slides he wants AS LONG AS it doesn't cost us goals or games; which at present it hasn't done (through luck and bad reffing), so i'll leave him be. When he costs us the 90th min pen against City in the cup, then i'll jump about but for now, I love you John Stones. You sexy, silky, mother fucking, beautiful man you.

Do what you want with me on the pitch.