IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

53 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Out for 4-6 weeks apparently. So get your anti-anxiety pills out to cope with watching Sidibe over that time :lol:.

Our options for RB really are terrible. It needs to be a high priority area in the summer transfer window.

Like we have enough options for LB. At least we have Kenny waiting in line for next season.

41 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Like we have enough options for LB. At least we have Kenny waiting in line for next season.

Baines will probably sign on for another year, and we'll push that position to the summer after more than likely.

And we don't even know if Kenny is seen as an option, we might not think he's good enough.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well they've got nowhere to hide now other than training with the kids or playing for West ham or Bournemouth.   

The overturn of man city's ban is huge for us.....  no more FFP to saddle us.  Usmanov can emerge, clear the decks and let Carlo get some serious footballers in. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Well they've got nowhere to hide now other than training with the kids or playing for West ham or Bournemouth.   

The overturn of man city's ban is huge for us.....  no more FFP to saddle us.  Usmanov can emerge, clear the decks and let Carlo get some serious footballers in. 

Its not quite as simple as that but its certainly an important decision for all clubs.

As before though, the hardest thing is convincing good players to come here rather than those wanting a pay day.

29 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Its not quite as simple as that but its certainly an important decision for all clubs.

As before though, the hardest thing is convincing good players to come here rather than those wanting a pay day.

The hardest thing to do was to  convince "ambitious" players to come to us...   tell me an ambitious player we signed who wants to win so badly you can see it hurts?  They sign for good managers, not Marco Silvas or Koemans ..

We have signed nice lads, capable of playing nice football and doing nice interviews..... they don't hurt, they don't care, their blase attitude infects the club. 

Under Carlo I believe we will sign a higher calibre of player who wants to work under a marquee coach.  Our market should change.... my guess is he will sign some trusty lieutenants 30 years old etc, arse kickers with quality..... who? I don't know but his black book will be extensive.  

I hope to see some seriously pissed off players getting exited. Nothing more than they deserve

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The hardest thing to do was to  convince "ambitious" players to come to us...   tell me an ambitious player we signed who wants to win so badly you can see it hurts?  They sign for good managers, not Marco Silvas or Koemans ..

We have signed nice lads, capable of playing nice football and doing nice interviews..... they don't hurt, they don't care, their blase attitude infects the club. 

Under Carlo I believe we will sign a higher calibre of player who wants to work under a marquee coach.  Our market should change.... my guess is he will sign some trusty lieutenants 30 years old etc, arse kickers with quality..... who? I don't know but his black book will be extensive.  

I hope to see some seriously pissed off players getting exited. Nothing more than they deserve

I think you are getting a bit carried away. Richarlison signed because of Silva and he is probably the hardest worker on the pitch with the most quality. 

Its not like Ancelotti is the only decent manager in the league either. The ambitious players you want, who want to play under a decent manager can still go to Spurs, City and Liverpool. The players that want to go to the bigger clubs or to play in Europe will have their choices of the rest. 

The next thing is which players for any club are like your 2nd paragraph. Most players these days need to be inspired by their manager or they have to fit in with the DNA of the club. Klopp, Pep, Rodgers are all very passionate managers. Arteta looks in that mould too but time will tell. Ole is building a side that play the Utd way. Wilder and Santo both have players that have spent 3 or 4 seasons with them and they each have their complete trust. These lot certainly aren't inspired by Ancelotti and my biggest worry at the time and even now is that the way he plays football isn't Everton. Its all great being a master tactician, especially when you have some of the best players in the world at your disposal, but this is Everton. We want graft, we want heart, we want direct football. We want teams on the back foot not through possession but through being aggressive and not giving teams an inch. 

I hope you are right but a few older and more cynical heads coming in. It feels like what we need. The problem with those types of players coming into this league for the first time is that they don't really fit. There aren't many real success stories that I can think of. Then you have the problem of moving them on, as they are likely to be on big wages. Would they fit the type who really want to play for Everton or the type that want one last pay day?

I think people will end up very disappointed if they expect a lot from this summer, just as they were in January.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think you are getting a bit carried away. Richarlison signed because of Silva and he is probably the hardest worker on the pitch with the most quality. 

Its not like Ancelotti is the only decent manager in the league either. The ambitious players you want, who want to play under a decent manager can still go to Spurs, City and Liverpool. The players that want to go to the bigger clubs or to play in Europe will have their choices of the rest. 

The next thing is which players for any club are like your 2nd paragraph. Most players these days need to be inspired by their manager or they have to fit in with the DNA of the club. Klopp, Pep, Rodgers are all very passionate managers. Arteta looks in that mould too but time will tell. Ole is building a side that play the Utd way. Wilder and Santo both have players that have spent 3 or 4 seasons with them and they each have their complete trust. These lot certainly aren't inspired by Ancelotti and my biggest worry at the time and even now is that the way he plays football isn't Everton. Its all great being a master tactician, especially when you have some of the best players in the world at your disposal, but this is Everton. We want graft, we want heart, we want direct football. We want teams on the back foot not through possession but through being aggressive and not giving teams an inch. 

I hope you are right but a few older and more cynical heads coming in. It feels like what we need. The problem with those types of players coming into this league for the first time is that they don't really fit. There aren't many real success stories that I can think of. Then you have the problem of moving them on, as they are likely to be on big wages. Would they fit the type who really want to play for Everton or the type that want one last pay day?

I think people will end up very disappointed if they expect a lot from this summer, just as they were in January.

Richarlison was playing for Watford and ambition brought him to Everton.  Similar to the likes of Cahill, Lescott, Jags making a step up.

My point is we have been blowing millions on players that other teams don't want.... Iwobi, Walcott, Gomes, Mina, Delph, 

I just watched toffeetv and Ped nails it.... says we sign players that aren't hungry.... apart from the fact that as an ex keeper he calls out pickfords continued lack of concentration and he has to go, he basically says the team is unmanageable... it is.

Carlo has won 17 trophies at 7 clubs without being a tea cup smasher... we've had supposed teacup smashers like Walter Smith, moyes, Koeman, Sam etc.  If a player needs a manager to motivate them to play then they arentbthat right player.

Roy Keane said it the other week..... good managers get their point across in one or two messages.  That's it.    I very much doubt Carlo came here intending to sign dogs of war footballers...... he came here to sign footballers who control and win football matches. 

16 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Richarlison was playing for Watford and ambition brought him to Everton.  Similar to the likes of Cahill, Lescott, Jags making a step up.

My point is we have been blowing millions on players that other teams don't want.... Iwobi, Walcott, Gomes, Mina, Delph, 

I just watched toffeetv and Ped nails it.... says we sign players that aren't hungry.... apart from the fact that as an ex keeper he calls out pickfords continued lack of concentration and he has to go, he basically says the team is unmanageable... it is.

Carlo has won 17 trophies at 7 clubs without being a tea cup smasher... we've had supposed teacup smashers like Walter Smith, moyes, Koeman, Sam etc.  If a player needs a manager to motivate them to play then they arentbthat right player.

Roy Keane said it the other week..... good managers get their point across in one or two messages.  That's it.    I very much doubt Carlo came here intending to sign dogs of war footballers...... he came here to sign footballers who control and win football matches. 

I feel like you are falling into the trap of clichés. That might not quite be the right word but you make it sound black and white when its anything but.

The other players you listed all had a point to prove. They had been bench warmers and need to prove themselves as starters. You quote Walcott or Iwobi but just look at Ox. For every example of one group of players there is another. Siggy wasn't a cast off. Pienaar, Saha, Neville, Howard were cast offs. Pickford was on the way up as well and we all know how you feel about him.

Carlo has won plenty of trophies managing the best players with plenty of money and not scratching with a group of average joes. I fear these lot need an old school army sergeant more than a manager at the moment. I agree that means they arent the right player for the club but in the same breath a manager still has to inspire and improve the players. 

It is very much early days though and like I said, you cant really judge a manager with this midfield.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I feel like you are falling into the trap of clichés. That might not quite be the right word but you make it sound black and white when its anything but.

The other players you listed all had a point to prove. They had been bench warmers and need to prove themselves as starters. You quote Walcott or Iwobi but just look at Ox. For every example of one group of players there is another. Siggy wasn't a cast off. Pienaar, Saha, Neville, Howard were cast offs. Pickford was on the way up as well and we all know how you feel about him.

Carlo has won plenty of trophies managing the best players with plenty of money and not scratching with a group of average joes. I fear these lot need an old school army sergeant more than a manager at the moment. I agree that means they arent the right player for the club but in the same breath a manager still has to inspire and improve the players. 

It is very much early days though and like I said, you cant really judge a manager with this midfield.

The point is we are signing players who have had opportunities to improve and got moved. I didn't name siggy,  the likes of pienaar and arteta were a loan before buy. 

Howard, saha, Neville, were signed for a combined fee of £5m. 

I am talking about players costing £20m+. A piece ...  

You don't get Ancelotti in to manage moyes/Silva level players.   Just like you would never let moyes near an elite Ancelotti team. 

I know which type of level footballer I want to see, and that is the Ancellotti level player.

Ffp is pretty much done. We've got money to burn, we just needed the opportunity to do it. 

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

we had the old school army sargeant in big dunc, 1 win, 1 loss, 2 draws.  not sure that old school army approach did anything different.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Oh it did it lifted the supporters Goodison came back to life again, it wasn’t just about the results although they were good when you look at the opponents we faced under Ferguson, your memory surely isn’t that short that you cannot remember what we were like leading up to Ferguson taking, I’ll remind you in one word shit.

Ferguson’s I’ll take no prisoners and you will work your balls off approach, brought some pride and belief back which was visible, with players who didn’t give a shit before actually giving it ago. 
I truly believe that Ancelotti’s great start was off the back of Ferguson waking them up and giving them back their pride, it now seems to have worn off again and they have reverted back to hiding with little pride and belief in what they are doing, I think Fergie time is required again, Ancelotti needs to give Ferguson a couple of weeks of his brand of management, to shake the fuckers up again and remind them what there here for. 

Ebbrell said Carlo couldn't come quick enough for Dunc. He was exhausted, it wasn't sustainable  but yeah.... the odd Ferguson team talk wouldn't go amiss

13 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The point is we are signing players who have had opportunities to improve and got moved. I didn't name siggy,  the likes of pienaar and arteta were a loan before buy. 

Howard, saha, Neville, were signed for a combined fee of £5m. 

I am talking about players costing £20m+. A piece ...  

You don't get Ancelotti in to manage moyes/Silva level players.   Just like you would never let moyes near an elite Ancelotti team. 

I know which type of level footballer I want to see, and that is the Ancellotti level player.

Ffp is pretty much done. We've got money to burn, we just needed the opportunity to do it. 

You did name Gomes though and he was a loan to buy. I don't see why it makes a difference.

Well I have news for you Haf, we did get Ancelotti in to manage "Silva level" players. I get the point, but the reality is that its exactly what is happening. We had a chance to buy in January but didn't. We aren't going to ship out the whole starting 11 in this window.

I am sure we would all like to see Ancelotti players but when the wheels fell off we would be on here saying the same things we are now. Overpaid, don't give a shit, mercenaries etc etc.

As for FFP, I don't think it will go away, they will just do what they can to change the rules again to protect the elite. The only thing is this time they might make more enforceable rules.

12 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

we had the old school army sargeant in big dunc, 1 win, 1 loss, 2 draws.  not sure that old school army approach did anything different.

Palfy has already commented on the teams we played but I will also add that we had a bare bones of a squad playing at least 3 of those matches in 1 week. The biggest disappointment was the Arsenal game where Iwobi went off within 10 or so minutes and Richarlison had to play wide instead of up front. In the Utd match, even Digne got injured early in the first half.

I'm certainly not saying everything was rosy under him but there was a big difference under him compared to what came before and what is coming now.

17 hours ago, Bailey said:

You did name Gomes though and he was a loan to buy. I don't see why it makes a difference.

Well I have news for you Haf, we did get Ancelotti in to manage "Silva level" players. I get the point, but the reality is that its exactly what is happening. We had a chance to buy in January but didn't. We aren't going to ship out the whole starting 11 in this window.

I am sure we would all like to see Ancelotti players but when the wheels fell off we would be on here saying the same things we are now. Overpaid, don't give a shit, mercenaries etc etc.

As for FFP, I don't think it will go away, they will just do what they can to change the rules again to protect the elite. The only thing is this time they might make more enforceable rules.

Palfy has already commented on the teams we played but I will also add that we had a bare bones of a squad playing at least 3 of those matches in 1 week. The biggest disappointment was the Arsenal game where Iwobi went off within 10 or so minutes and Richarlison had to play wide instead of up front. In the Utd match, even Digne got injured early in the first half.

I'm certainly not saying everything was rosy under him but there was a big difference under him compared to what came before and what is coming now.

Absolutely no value in the January window. He needed time to assess his team.

He's had that time now.... there is absolutely no way he would continue to work with the level of player we have got. He will have negotiated a large transfer pot when coming. He doesnt need the job or money - his legacy in the game is secured. 

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Absolutely no value in the January window. He needed time to assess his team.

He's had that time now.... there is absolutely no way he would continue to work with the level of player we have got. He will have negotiated a large transfer pot when coming. He doesnt need the job or money - his legacy in the game is secured. 

The January comment is another massive generalisation. You can find players in January and they aren't always for more money that they are worth. You won't find as many as you can in the summer but it is not the case that you cannot buy good players for reasonable money in January.

The gap in his legacy is working with average players. His reputation as a manager of big teams is sorted but there is a question mark over him with teams away from the very top. Napoli were challenging for the league under Sarri but finished 16 worse off the following season. His Napoli said were then a long way off the pace the following season when he was sacked, albeit with mitigating circumstances.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine Carlo has mostly worked under a DoF throughout his career and therefore its not necessarily the case that he will bring in his own players here either. There is no guarantee that he will have any choice but to work with the players he has and improve them and then add to them gradually over time. I would be bitterly disappointed if we have signed one of the most decorated managers in the world to work with our tinpot squad if can only work with big names. It would be the most typical Everton anti-climax ever.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

The January comment is another massive generalisation. You can find players in January and they aren't always for more money that they are worth. You won't find as many as you can in the summer but it is not the case that you cannot buy good players for reasonable money in January.

The gap in his legacy is working with average players. His reputation as a manager of big teams is sorted but there is a question mark over him with teams away from the very top. Napoli were challenging for the league under Sarri but finished 16 worse off the following season. His Napoli said were then a long way off the pace the following season when he was sacked, albeit with mitigating circumstances.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine Carlo has mostly worked under a DoF throughout his career and therefore its not necessarily the case that he will bring in his own players here either. There is no guarantee that he will have any choice but to work with the players he has and improve them and then add to them gradually over time. I would be bitterly disappointed if we have signed one of the most decorated managers in the world to work with our tinpot squad if can only work with big names. It would be the most typical Everton anti-climax ever.

You will have to tell me how he could/should have spent money in January.  The only value in January is signing players who could leave for free in the summer....  most clubs will only let players go if they are surplus to requirements.... which if they are usually means they aren't exactly playing or playing well...  I'm struggling to think of top January transfers, not saying there aren't- just struggling to think of any.

I personally can't wait for him to make his mark on the team with his choice of players.