IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

Anyone watch the Spurs doc on Amazon? 
Jose telling his players that nice guys never win. It’s true. 
We were always really nice under Moyes, no one complained, the refs liked us (not enough to give us decisions) and we were everyone else’s favourite other club while being walked over.  
I hated that shit. While we were the nice club, Chelsea and United were picking up trophies all over the place with a team full of nasty bastards shouting at the refs and bullying their opponents. 
It’s competitive sport, take every advantage and intimidate the opposition. 
It’s a shame Coleman hasn’t done more of this through his career, he used to when McCarthy was around. Whenever things got aggressive you would see McCarthy and Coleman running in there. 
Im rambling on now. 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

Anyone watch the Spurs doc on Amazon? 
Jose telling his players that nice guys never win. It’s true. 
We were always really nice under Moyes, no one complained, the refs liked us (not enough to give us decisions) and we were everyone else’s favourite other club while being walked over.  
I hated that shit. While we were the nice club, Chelsea and United were picking up trophies all over the place with a team full of nasty bastards shouting at the refs and bullying their opponents. 
It’s competitive sport, take every advantage and intimidate the opposition. 
It’s a shame Coleman hasn’t done more of this through his career, he used to when McCarthy was around. Whenever things got aggressive you would see McCarthy and Coleman running in there. 
Im rambling on now. 

Good documentary. Hate to say it but it does make you appreciate Mourinho. Came into a side that was 14th, Erikson wanted out and arguably their 3 best players were injured at some point and finished 6th. Can see why he's such an accomplished manager...and why he tends to wear out his welcome eventually.

7 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

Good documentary. Hate to say it but it does make you appreciate Mourinho. Came into a side that was 14th, Erikson wanted out and arguably their 3 best players were injured at some point and finished 6th. Can see why he's such an accomplished manager...and why he tends to wear out his welcome eventually.

Mourinho is one of the greatest managers of the modern era, if you're impressed with his work with Spurs then you should read up about his time with FC Porto, relative minnows on the European side of things and took them all the way (infamously knocking out Manchester United in the process). The way in which he did it was unbelievable in every sense of the word, a triumph that will haunt Benfica (their rivals) forever as they allowed him to resign from them before moving to Leira & Porto. 

His time at Chelsea was when he was at his peak, a truly unstoppable manager that told you what he wanted to do, how he was going to do it and then went out and did it. People overlook his time with Inter too, due him being there for just 12 months but again took them all the way to Champions League glory, despite being outsiders when the tournament kicked off. 

He's arguably done now, but his recent tenures should not overlook that at his peak he was probably the best manager on the planet. 

14 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

he doesn't say this to him until AFTER he is sent off knowing he can't do anything and seamus gets a free pass.  an analogy is you and some dude have beef have a fight, but he shows up with 5 extra dudes, you walk away knowing you're good as dead, and dude is running his mouth acting big and bad when he ain't got nothing to do with it.  it's pussy shit man. seamus had nothing to do with it, just piling on gibbs like he had a dog in the fight, he didn't.  if james wants to square up and have a go, that's man to man, go for it.  i got no problem with that (other than the red cars that ensue) but this johnny come lately shit talking, i just man, maybe i had too many of those types around me growing up, the all talk no action guys or something, just rubs me the wrong way.

It's nothing like that analogy at all. Gibbs was saying he'd "do it again" and Coleman was sticking up for his team. He's not being a shit-talking tough guy. If anything, Gibbs was. 

As others have said the gobshite in this was Gibbs. Poking someone in the face and then acting the hard man as they walked off the pitch. That's the type of shit I hate at any level of sport. 

Play hard and fair and any if you have an issue on the pitch once you get off it shake hands and move on. The number of brawls I have been in playing rugby and in less than a couple of hours later I am in the bar having a pint with the same guys that were trying to take lumps out of me. 

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

or baines.  i was never a big fan of jags.

Carlo in his book talks about technical leaders and dressing room leaders. Baines is a technical leader, leading by example on the pitch, whilst someone like Coleman, Mina or Richarlison might be a leader in the dreasing room in the sense of a likable figure amongst his team mates and vocal. 

back to coleman, it's clear he's up for it this year and still has gas/petrol left in the tank.  i'm very happy about that.  i do hope we can get a proper assessment of kenny and decide next summer if he will be able to take the reigns or if we need to buy another RB.  nice to not have to worry about it for now.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Bailey said:

Injured again on international duty.

He seems like he is struggling to stay fit this season at our decision on the right back position might have to come sooner than expected. If this carries on we might need someone else in the side (assuming Kenny is deemed not to be good enough).

His age seems to be catching up with him, he use to be an ever present now he’s becoming a bit of a sick note, sad really he’s been such a great servant for so many years, but I think you’re right Bailey we need to start looking for a solid replacement as with a couple more of our back line. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...