IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Next game will be his 300th PL appearance for us, wonder how far up the all time PL list he can go?

Capture.JPG.f03b4b61d9352bf3b76cccafdd2a060e.JPG

He'll pass Unsy and likely Jags but the top three are probably out of reach, unless he stays first choice, but don't see that happening.

Didn't realise Howard was the top in appearances, thought it was Leon.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bump this thread. I’m really hoping Coleman stays fit this season. When he’s on form he’s one of the best in the league, even though those days are becoming fewer. He’s been our RB most of the time I’ve been a fan, and his transfer here was one that I didn’t really get at the time, but he’ll go down as a legend to me. 

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

Wanted to bump this thread. I’m really hoping Coleman stays fit this season. When he’s on form he’s one of the best in the league, even though those days are becoming fewer. He’s been our RB most of the time I’ve been a fan, and his transfer here was one that I didn’t really get at the time, but he’ll go down as a legend to me. 

I fully expect us to get a RB on loan (at a minimum) in January. Kenny is OK but I think he’s a fringe premier league player at best. Need to be able to spell Seamus with decent quality this season and find the heir apparent. We got ridiculously lucky with Digne who replaced Baines without missing a beat.

5 hours ago, Sibdane said:

He hasn't managed to stay fit since 2014, so you're going to need a lot of that hope!

I still can't believe we're talking about him as our first choice right back.

2 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Yep, fortunatley both Holgate and Godfrey are very good cover, as long as we dont have too many injuries to Keane and Mina.

Holgate is horrible cover at RB, he's shown that time and time again for us.

Godfrey looked terrible as a RB but ok as a LB. But even then you're losing a lot for what we want our LB to do so if Digne gets injured for a while, say months, it's not good.

To count on those two as our full-back cover is madness.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Holgate is horrible cover at RB, he's shown that time and time again for us.

Godfrey looked terrible as a RB but ok as a LB. But even then you're losing a lot for what we want our LB to do so if Digne gets injured for a while, say months, it's not good.

To count on those two as our full-back cover is madness.

Holgate has played ok at fullback, he did start as a right back, and Godfrey was very good when he filed in. Not ideal but at least they can play there.

17 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Holgate has played ok at fullback, he did start as a right back, and Godfrey was very good when he filed in. Not ideal but at least they can play there.

You have had a memory wipe if you think Holgate has played ok at full-back for us. Godfrey was very good if all you want is Forrest Gump, let's be honest.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

You have had a memory wipe if you think Holgate has played ok at full-back for us. Godfrey was very good if all you want is Forrest Gump, let's be honest.

This.

They were both terrible full backs. They were just wide centre backs.

I am not as convinced that Coleman is a great full back anymore either. He certain has his moments still but he can't get forward anywhere near as much, he isn't the same attacking threat he made a reputation from, albeit I do think he is a better defender.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Memory is just fine thank-you Kisrty.

Have to agree to disagree, they are not first choice by any stretch, but will do an OK job. Seem to remember Godfrey getting quite a few plaudits on this site  when he filled in at left back.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Godfrey played very well at left back hardly anyone got passed him, he just didn’t offer much going forward, having said that neither has Digne in the last year, if he could replicate the form of his first season it would give Dom so much more to go at. 

They might not have got by him, but they got plenty of crosses past him. His positioning was suspect at times too. Both of which are completely understandable as he is as much of a full back as he is a defensive midfielder 🙃

Coleman back in ROI squad for Portugal WC qual match today.  Seems to be playing wingback in a 3-5-2.  Hope he doesn’t play in all 3 matches over next 7 days.  ROI’s easiest match is their second, so maybe he doesn’t start that one.  But ROI will also be desperate to take 3 points in that one, so hard to say.

Only good news re Coleman getting rest when returning to Everton is that our first match after international break isn’t until that Monday night.  But it wouldn’t be a shock to see Kenny starting v. Burnley.

5 minutes ago, patto said:

So you didn't mind James McCarthy ruining his Everton career as long as he turned up with injuries and played for his country because that's exactly what he was doing over a period of about 18 months.

My priority is Everton Football Club not any of the Nation teams I would be just the same if he was English.

Nope, see above post for reasons why.

9 minutes ago, patto said:

So you didn't mind James McCarthy ruining his Everton career as long as he turned up with injuries and played for his country because that's exactly what he was doing over a period of about 18 months.

My priority is Everton Football Club not any of the Nation teams I would be just the same if he was English.

McCarthy was different in that he played unfit; your priority is obviously Everton (as it is for all of us) but can understand Seamus taking a different view. What sportsman/woman wouldn't want to play for their country given the chance?

5 minutes ago, patto said:

Yeah that's great but when you get to a certain age you must get your priority right any injury now and it will take him longer to recover 

There have been players who have retired from international football to hopefully prolong their club career, but that’s there choice I would say most probably do so because they don’t want to be just squad members if there’s no chance of playing. Plenty said Richarlison shouldn’t have played the first couple of games or definitely not started because of the Copa America and the Olympics, he was having none of it he wanted to play his manager backed him and he’s been one of the best players over the 3 games, players no there own bodies and capabilities Coleman has earned his call up and if he plays he could get an injury but that’s the same for any player regardless of age. 

On the topic of RB cover - I agree that both Holgate and Godfrey looked awkward to say the least. Godfrey is better but it’s to sure up the defence more than anything which is okay.

Does anyone think Townsend could do a job at RB? From what I’ve seen he seems to get stuck in, has great energy levels and seems to have a good footballing brain.

Godfrey never took to playing at RB as well as he did LB, but besides whether he can cover either position is immaterial in my view why would you be considering taking your best CB and playing him as cover for your RB or LB and break the spine of the team, that is the worst thing you could do imo. We have Kenny to cover for Coleman not ideal maybe but adequate enough, because of Niels going out on loan we have exposed ourselves at LB should Digne get an injury, if this was to happen I wouldn’t want to be taking Godfrey out of the CB position I’d be looking for a different option, I’d rather try and play and accommodate one weaker position than move Godfrey and end up with two weaker positions. 

7 hours ago, Btay said:

On the topic of RB cover - Does anyone think Townsend could do a job at RB? From what I’ve seen he seems to get stuck in, has great energy levels and seems to have a good footballing brain.

Unless Kenny or Holgate proves dependable as very regular RB cover, it seems highly likely that Benitez will have to be creative.  One option might be using Townsend as a right wingback in a 3-5-2.  He could get forward plenty as long as Allan and/or Doucouré stay back.

In fact, with no clearly dependable cover for either FB position, maybe we’ll see 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 more than a few times?  I’m thinking Coleman himself is better as a wingback than strictly RB.