IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I still think he has a part to play next season, hopefully as a backup to Patterson

I agree. I hope Patterson gets ready though(and he's injured right now) otherwise we'll be in the same situation next season as we are now. I love Coleman, but he can't be first choice anymore. 

9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Personally I think he has been excellent at times this season but now he is getting hung out to dry when he is playing in an unfamiliar position 

Not to mention it’s been a gruelling fixture list for the past few weeks and at his stage in his career he shouldn’t be expected to be playing so many games in such a short space of time.  It’s a measure of the man that he has met the challenge head on and has never shirked the responsibility 

Baines proved to be invaluable in the season he handed over the baton to Digne and I’m sure Seamus can be equally as effective doing the same with Patterson

He is finished Dunc.  Pity but his legs can’t do it. Been very very lucky at times, been great from a voice on pitch etc but he shouldn’t be playing. 

Seen a few clips where Lampard calls Seamus the ‘best person he’s ever met’. Seamus is clearly a great bloke and is obviously a huge part of our club. I personally think he stays and I would back that decision - I think he’s played far far more than Lampard would have hoped and he looks knackered as a result but I don’t think he’s finished here.

10 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He is finished Dunc.  Pity but his legs can’t do it. Been very very lucky at times, been great from a voice on pitch etc but he shouldn’t be playing. 

Each to their own I just think we were asking too much of him to be playing twice a week at his age

A fresh Coleman IMO is still a very good player

He is obviously a big character / influence in the changing room and you would be hard pushed to find a better back up RB in the Premiership 

If Patterson can be the main right back and Seamus has to play less than ten games next season he will be fine. He’s past his best but playing 30 plus games is too much for him. I’d rather have him as a back up than anyone else. A finished Seamus is still much better than Kenny, unfortunately.

Also, in his defence last night the pace that Palace have is tough for many defenders, not just him. 

Seamus has been one of the best right backs we have had at this club, he still can be a back up for Patterson next season.

One day he will retire as a player, but he must remain at the club in some capacity as he is probably one of the greatest captains we have ever had, certainly in my lifetime, I would have him up there with Peter Reid.

Pretty much every manager who has managed Everton during his captaincy have said he is the best captain they have worked with, people like Carlo who is one of the greatest managers of all time. 

Those qualities are rare and his positive impact on the club must not be lost.

10 hours ago, London Blue said:

...he is probably one of the greatest captains we have ever had, certainly in my lifetime, I would have him up there with Peter Reid.

Reid was never captain though, he might've been for the odd game but he was never club captain.

25 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Reid was never captain though, he might've been for the odd game but he was never club captain.

Your right I thought I had seen him captain, but yes Rats was captain most of the time, I think he was just a great leader and motivator, he was player coach in his last couple of years I think.

4 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Your right I thought I had seen him captain, but yes Rats was captain most of the time, I think he was just a great leader and motivator, he was player coach in his last couple of years I think.

100% even though he was never captain he played as if he was, we had a lot of captains on the pitch back then!

I agree with most here that Seamus is past it as our starting RB. It needs to be Patterson next season with Seamus staying on as backup/a mentor. I started supporting the club 7 years ago and Seamus is my favorite player in that time by a wide margin. He is the heartbeat of the club. There are a lot of hard miles on those legs though and I think his efforts this season and his leadership are a great send off as our on the pitch captain. 

Problem is that great club servants do come to the end of their careers. They deserve respect and no matter how much we'd like them to continue it won't happen. For someone who has given their all for EFC probably best to go out gradually, handing over like Leighton did to Digne.

48 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If I was someone that read into things I’d say it’s a possibility Coleman will be retiring. 

I’ve been thinking the same from these videos. The changing room, the hug with Baines. Seems like that. But I think he would have announced it before now, on the other hand he may just want to quietly walk away. 
He’s only 33 though. 

11 hours ago, StevO said:

I’ve been thinking the same from these videos. The changing room, the hug with Baines. Seems like that. But I think he would have announced it before now, on the other hand he may just want to quietly walk away. 
He’s only 33 though. 

I don't think he would've be honest. He wouldn't want to potentially distract players or look like he's running away from the club at a perilous time. It would be completely in character for him to do it quietly. 

Hope we get 2 more seasons of him as back up to support the new lad, but with all the personality in the world, his body is letting him down and he can't be our starter going forward and I hope Frank is brutal enough to recognise that.