IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

• 2 weeks later...

I believe he is a great club captain as we know from articles like this, on pitch he isn’t a great captain as he hasn’t managed our players in situations well and can be far too passive with refs.

great servant to the club however and i wish we had 11 like him

lets not get drawn into a debate where have to have a captain who can manage referees well, we’ve been shafted left right and centre by refs and we do need captains to be able to put the officials on the back foot. 

43 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I believe he is a great club captain as we know from articles like this, on pitch he isn’t a great captain as he hasn’t managed our players in situations well and can be far too passive with refs.

great servant to the club however and i wish we had 11 like him

lets not get drawn into a debate where have to have a captain who can manage referees well, we’ve been shafted left right and centre by refs and we do need captains to be able to put the officials on the back foot. 

Indeed, it's not even a debate. He acts respectively and leads by example instead of being an arrogant bully with a big mouth. 

I’m more in agreement with Haf ( surprise surprise) he is great motivator of the players, and is very passionate about the club. But that alone doesn’t make a great leader or captain it’s how you deal with on pitch situations that in my opinion make you standout amongst the average. My example being the penalty fiasco surrounding Richarlison who wouldn’t give the ball up because he wanted the penalty, Coleman was 15 yards away from melee but didn’t go over to defuse the situation, instead he stayed 15 yards away and watched 5-6 players arguing and trying to wrestle the ball from Richarlison, surely a good or great captain is straight there defusing the situation and laying the law down and not acting like a bystander. Captaincy isn’t all about being motivational and liked, you also need to do the dirty work and upset people if necessary for the good of the team, on that particular occasion he bottled it and allowed others to do his dirty work when it needed to come from him. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Indeed, it's not even a debate. He acts respectively and leads by example instead of being an arrogant bully with a big mouth. 

I don’t think effectively managing conflict within the team of the performance of referees on the pitch requires an arrogant bullying approach. 

in this day and age where players egos get the better of them, or referees bow to pressure from the loudest voice, you need to assert yourself. 

the ability of a captain to manage the game in the voice that the manager would do is critical. Dyche contests lots of decisions with the 4th official. Our captains in recent times have been way too passive and we are a soft touch. 

but in the essence of the general hero worship and back patting for a great servant my observations are no doubt deemed outrageous despite there actually being credibility to them. 

martin Atkinson actually said Alan Stubbs was an intimidating player to referee as he would challenge him. Stubbs was a superb captain in my book. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

martin Atkinson actually said Alan Stubbs was an intimidating player to referee as he would challenge him. Stubbs was a superb captain in my book. 

I’ve personally never responded well to anyone who is intimidating. I find my natural response is to disarm them, especially in a professional environment. I’ve never been a referee, but I can’t imagine if I did that I would side with the most intimidating player on the pitch, I’d probably side with whoever is the most respectful. But we are all very different, and the game Is very different to when Atkinson and Stubbs played too. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I’ve personally never responded well to anyone who is intimidating. I find my natural response is to disarm them, especially in a professional environment. I’ve never been a referee, but I can’t imagine if I did that I would side with the most intimidating player on the pitch, I’d probably side with whoever is the most respectful. But we are all very different, and the game Is very different to when Atkinson and Stubbs played too. 

StevO, I'm guessing you do not have to deal with multi-millionaires with massive egos.

2 hours ago, StevO said:

The fact is, if you have a player who knows the laws and will call out inaccuracies and ask for justification then you know you need to be on your game.   Not all decisions are clear cut but if there is any 50/50 calls the referee under pressure will not put himself in the dragons den with a captain who will not accept shite. 

the saying “squeaky wheel gets all the oil” is very true. 

On 18/05/2023 at 02:54, Hafnia said:

"Let's not get drawn into a debate" but here's my position in the debate that's about to start. :)

• 2 weeks later...

He'll be a decent backup to Patterson. We still need to look at bringing in a younger, third RB to start integrating into the squad for when Coleman is gone. We can't let history repeat itself by failing to address squad depth. This upcoming season will have to be Coleman's last year even though he's been important for us this season.