IGNORED

James McCarthy

2 hours ago, aaron said:

Mark you cant just refuse a call up or you run the risk of being banned at club level and fined. He either retired from international football for good or had to go. If anyone is to blame its Martin O'Neill and the Ireland FA, not McCarthy.

Yes you can players do it all the time and as far as getting banned from Republic of Ireland they have no quality who are they going to replace McCarthy with I just don’t see that being an issue 

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yes you can players do it all the time and as far as getting banned from Republic of Ireland they have no quality who are they going to replace McCarthy with I just don’t see that being an issue 

His point is that if he refuses a call up he could get a ban from playing for his club. 

24 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He would have been banned from club football, not international. You cant reject a international call up just like that, Liverpool almost lost Matip to suspension last year or the year before, he ended up retiring from international football to get around it. If the country in question takes it further the player can be banned from playing club football.

26 minutes ago, StevO said:

His point is that if he refuses a call up he could get a ban from playing for his club. 

Not if he wasn't fit, he never played a game for us before he was called up, its the club that should have put their foot down to stop it if he wasn't fit.

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Not if he wasn't fit, he never played a game for us before he was called up, its the club that should have put their foot down to stop it if he wasn't fit.

And I'm sure McCarthy or a representative had discussions with MON/ROI about his fitness. I can only assume that McCarthy told them he was fit.

57 minutes ago, StevO said:

again i have seen americans and english do this time and again and say it's due to injury.  guess what?  when they are healthy they are called in again.  sitting out due to attitude (Vela) is another thing.  but people get injury.  also if he walks into the side half injured you think a fully fit mccarthy is gonna be rejected because he said no due to injury last time?  hell no.  they need him.   they are dire

8 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Because he is not a winger and plays the same position?

I wonder why Steve Parish is expecting him to provide creativity and not defensive stability then. 

Edit - he is, in fact, a CM, but it’s hardly the same role of McCarthy. I think we’ll still be ok. 

• 7 months later...

Thanks for selling him, now that he is fit, he has been great for us. He does all the dirty work, niggly tackles, defending teammates and has added some real steel to our midfield. Should be a real battle between a few of us for those final European spots. Good luck CP fan

On 08/03/2020 at 10:53, xian4 said:

Thanks for selling him, now that he is fit, he has been great for us. He does all the dirty work, niggly tackles, defending teammates and has added some real steel to our midfield. Should be a real battle between a few of us for those final European spots. Good luck CP fan

He would get into our side now.

I said at the time I would have sooner seen him get up to speed before deciding to sell. 

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

he will be injured shortly in which case no one will be missing him then.

You have been calling for him to be sold for ages... £3m for him.  I'd have paid £3m to have him for our remaining matches.

He was injured due to Martinez rushing him back time after time. Then he got a leg break covering for schneiderlein being a coward. 

Very solid midfielder who would be doing a job for us. 

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

You have been calling for him to be sold for ages... £3m for him.  I'd have paid £3m to have him for our remaining matches.

He was injured due to Martinez rushing him back time after time. Then he got a leg break covering for schneiderlein being a coward. 

Very solid midfielder who would be doing a job for us. 

he was sold, he's not longer our player.  and i rejoice.  sadly we replaced him with the same thing in Delph, always injured.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

he was sold, he's not longer our player.  and i rejoice.  sadly we replaced him with the same thing in Delph, always injured.

Delph isn’t fit to lace McCarthy’s boots. While Delph talks a good game he’s fucking shite, McCarthy said nothing and did his job where it mattered. 

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Delph isn’t fit to lace McCarthy’s boots. While Delph talks a good game he’s fucking shite, McCarthy said nothing and did his job where it mattered. 

Exactly. McCarthy and Barry in that first year or so together were the best we've had as a partnership in ages. 

His injuries stemmed from Martinez rushing him back. Great attitude on the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Exactly. McCarthy and Barry in that first year or so together were the best we've had as a partnership in ages. 

His injuries stemmed from Martinez rushing him back. Great attitude on the pitch. 

His injuries stemmed from that prick O'Neill rushing him back for international duties.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

His injuries stemmed from that prick O'Neill rushing him back for international duties.

He never got an injury from 2010 till he he strained his hamstring at the end of 2014.... he strained it again less than a month later... then again.

Danny Donachie got the sack I recall and there was debate as to whether Martinez rushed McCarthy back and Donachie carried the can or whether it was his fault he got injured again.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

He never got an injury from 2010 till he he strained his hamstring at the end of 2014.... he strained it again less than a month later... then again.

Danny Donachie got the sack I recall and there was debate as to whether Martinez rushed McCarthy back and Donachie carried the can or whether it was his fault he got injured again.

He got the hamstring and was out for some time, hadn't played a match for us since the injury and O'Neill picked him for the international squad. McCarthy went with the squad and continued to get the recurring injury, the club should have stopped him going because he still wasn't fit to play.

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

He got the hamstring and was out for some time, hadn't played a match for us since the injury and O'Neill picked him for the international squad. McCarthy went with the squad and continued to get the recurring injury, the club should have stopped him going because he still wasn't fit to play.

November 9th to December 6th 2014 - groin injury.

December 28th to January 31st 2015 - groin injury.

This happened under Martinez...  Martinez played him against wolfsburg away and he lasted 10 minutes.   Donachie got the blame but we had numerous hamstring injuries at the time - Baines was getting them.  I think Martinez was overruling Donachie.

The whole Ireland thing was under Koeman. 

I liked McCarthy. Proper player. 

On 11/03/2020 at 07:55, Hafnia said:

On 11/03/2020 at 11:19, Bill said:

Or he kept getting himself injured because he kept trying to play when he wasn't right. 

Your sports scientists can only tell you so much. If the fitness figures are right and he is saying he feels good then why wouldn't the club or international manager play him.