IGNORED

James McCarthy

14 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

He’d slot in right away if Gana was injured. Alternatively, have Gomes, Gana, and McCarthy run midfield and push Sigurdsson further forward, with Walcott or Bernard dropping out. It’s nice to have options. 

So as i said, he's not a starter.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

So as i said, he's not a starter.

The starters should not be the same for each game. I understand that right now we’re keeping the same group together, but that’s because of new players, new manager, and new tactics. That should not be the norm, though. So, to answer your question, McCarthy should be a starter, depending on who are the opponents. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

The starters should not be the same for each game. I understand that right now we’re keeping the same group together, but that’s because of new players, new manager, and new tactics. That should not be the norm, though. So, to answer your question, McCarthy should be a starter, depending on who are the opponents. 

I asked you who would you drop to make him a starter, your reply was he could replace Gana if he was unfit.

That is not a starter, its a replacement for the injured starter.

21 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I disagree. Consistency is the best thing for a team, even if a player is crap game after game but we win, I'd still be hesitant to mess with a winning formula. 

18 hours ago, Bill said:

Now your scratching around Steve, drop a winger to play another midfielder. !!

I'll leave it there mate.

Could go 433

Gana

Gomes McCarthy

Lookman Siggy Richarlison

That's not the worst line up for an attacking 5 I've ever seen, even if we've got no recognized striker there

Can't go along with that Matt, you'd drop Bernard, and Walcott to bring in Lookman and McCarthy !! .

If you really wanted to change the team you could play Bernard alongside Gomes, but certainly not McCarthy, I'm definitely going to leave it there because I,m quite happy to see the same 11 starting so why would anybody want to change it. ?

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Can't go along with that Matt, you'd drop Bernard, and Walcott to bring in Lookman and McCarthy !! .

If you really wanted to change the team you could play Bernard alongside Gomes, but certainly not McCarthy, I'm definitely going to leave it there because I,m quite happy to see the same 11 starting so why would anybody want to change it. ?

I'm saying that's how it could look, not that I want it that way.

10 hours ago, Bill said:

It’s about having options. I think that lineup could be affective against the likes of City/Liverpool away.

I could see McCarthy coming in for Gana but I couldn't see them both in the middle with Gomes, but there's no reason to change it at the moment so if he's fit the best McCarthy should expect is a place on the bench, and I think Silva would pick Davies first if he had to replace either Gana or Gomes.

• 4 weeks later...

Would be nice to see him get a few minutes against Brighton, and receive a very loud and warm welcome back from the traveling Blues. Hopefully he can put his terrible spell of injuries behind him and concentrate on playing football, either with us or elsewhere. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

It's very easy to forget how good a fit James McCarthy was.  Martinez first major mistake was playing him when not recovered from his groin or hamstring injuries... then you had the koeman vs Ireland nonsense which tested McCarthys loyalty/common sense.

We could sell gana for £30 to £40m if McCarthy is anywhere near the player of 2012/13.  

He was as close to a combative gana... with a bit more playing ability and passing range. 

Sell schneiderlein for £15m if a team near the bottom is desperate enough... Thats Gomes paid for. 

I have high hopes from McCarthy if he can stay fit he is a fearless competitive player who never bottles it, he has an amazing engine good turn of speed and a crunching tackle that you rarely see in PL anymore, and he can play a bit of football as well.

Let's keep everything crossed for him if he comes back right it could be like we've just signed a new mid for 30-35mil, he can be that good.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Be lucky if he can play a handfull of games a season,  he's a very bad sicknote and we should sell to the first club who shows any interest.

He broke his leg Bill.  Bones are bones..... for me it could have been a blessing in disguise - he had been rushed back too early too often.  That's why he got the sick note rep. 

The last year or so could have given his body a chance to recover.  Let's hope so. 

44 minutes ago, hafnia said:

He broke his leg Bill.  Bones are bones..... for me it could have been a blessing in disguise - he had been rushed back too early too often.  That's why he got the sick note rep. 

The last year or so could have given his body a chance to recover.  Let's hope so. 

I'd be delighted if he came back and stayed fit Haf but cant see it, they never come back the same after a double break ( aka Coleman ).  Alas its not only the double leg break, he has also had too many Hamstrings.