IGNORED

James McCarthy

This is a tragedy for James.  He is, unfortunately, one of a band of players who fall into the category of 'injury prone'.  I have no idea why this should be as, presumably, they train and keep fit in exactly the same way as other players.  I played 'till I was 40 and only ever missed about half a dozen games through (minor) injury.  I once played with a guy who, as an amateur, was the closest I ever played with to a pro footballer.  He had everything.  nearly six feet tall, built like a rugby centre, lightning fast, a rocket shot in both feet, yet he was 'injury prone'.  Play one game, miss three, then miss half a season.  He finally hung is boots up at 26/27.  As someone who loved his football I really felt sorry for these guys. I think James loves is football and his lucrative contract will be small consolation in the months ahead.

Just for the record, he had virtually no injury record before joining Everton. You can't blame someone for suffering injuries any more than you can blame someone for getting sick. That's the luck of the draw.
One other thing to mention is that McCarthy will now miss the World Cup, likely his only opportunity to play in that event. This must be devastating for him.

I think you can blame someone for getting injured. McCarthy was the architect of his own downfall by electing to play for Ireland when he clearly wasn’t ready. That is why he has had so many problems with his hamstrings

Although he certainly can’t be blamed for breaking his leg , this is completely unrelated to his past injury record and could have happened to anyone

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

How do those two sentiments work in the same post?

Get rid/he'll be a massive loss:huh:.

Very simple.

i was pointing out what many have said. Get him fit and then get a fee for him.

I then displayed my own opinion on him, he will be a massive loss.

I think he is the type of player we need in the middle. Combative, energetic and more than willing to put a foot in. He also drives forward. Such a shame for him and us. ☹️

2 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Get him fit and then get a fee for him.

I then displayed my own opinion on him, he will be a massive loss.

How can you not see that's completely contradictory?

Why in the world would we take a bargain basement price (because that's all we'd get) for someone who'd be (in your opinion) a massive loss to us?

Are you saying you respect the get rid option while being in the keep camp? I think we need a referendum:lol:.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think you can blame someone for getting injured. McCarthy was the architect of his own downfall by electing to play for Ireland when he clearly wasn’t ready. That is why he has had so many problems with his hamstrings

Although he certainly can’t be blamed for breaking his leg , this is completely unrelated to his past injury record and could have happened to anyone

Which are more reasons we should have gotten rid.  The first or second time he went and played for them unfit and got injured again we should have sold.  Did it under Martinez and koeman too many times.

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

21 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Which are more reasons we should have gotten rid.  The first or second time he went and played for them unfit and got injured again we should have sold.  Did it under Martinez and koeman too many times.

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

So you’ll be getting rid of Coleman and Baines then?

34 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

So you’ll be getting rid of Coleman and Baines then?

They never were unfit and not playing for Everton and then went and played for their national team.  McCarthy made a habit of it.

got injured was working to get back, barely in training with Everton but nowhere near a bench for a match.  Goes and plays full 90 for Ireland many times resulting in further injury.

That recklessness should have had him sold.

8 hours ago, MikeO said:

How can you not see that's completely contradictory?

Why in the world would we take a bargain basement price (because that's all we'd get) for someone who'd be (in your opinion) a massive loss to us?

Are you saying you respect the get rid option while being in the keep camp? I think we need a referendum:lol:.

It’s clever what your doing... deleting the first part of the sentence to make it look the way you want it 🙂 but you know my post is still there don’t you haha.

Norhing contradictory about it at all. To use a Hafenem:

If I pointed out my sister lived Peugeot’s as she thinks they are good runners, but I thrhink they are nails. That’s me pointing out her opinion, while giving mine. 

Yes, I am saying I respect the opinion of others have mentioned we should have sold him, though my own opinion is that I think we will miss him hugely, and would much rather have him in the team than several first teamers.

Think you’ve just misread my point MikeO, or I haven’t put them across good enough.

30 minutes ago, hafnia said:

How can I put this another way.....  

Any player making that goal saving challenge will have broken their leg.  No ifs and buts... it's a leg breaker. 

So unless all other players lack his anticipation or bottle then any one of our squad could have had their leg broken.  Unfortunately for McCarthy he is one of only a few who cares enough to get around and challenge. 

Which is exactly why we were right not to sell him.

• 1 month later...

I said months ago that this lads next injury is a career finisher, then he was unlucky with the broken leg. But if he ever gets well enough to play again he should be sold immediately because he can't play two games without being out for months at a time.

Brought it on himself by playing when he shouldn't, and with the help of Oneil it's just about finished him.  We will be very lucky if anybody would want to buy him.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

I said months ago that this lads next injury is a career finisher, then he was unlucky with the broken leg. But if he ever gets well enough to play again he should be sold immediately because he can't play two games without being out for months at a time.

Brought it on himself by playing when he shouldn't, and with the help of Oneil it's just about finished him.  We will be very lucky if anybody would want to buy him.

spot on

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...