IGNORED

James McCarthy

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I shall always have a lot of respect for James McCarthy, especially for the 110% commitment he gives to each match - which is why he sustained his more serious injuries. At a time of mediocre management and obvious disinterest from other players, McCarthy gave it his all. Here's wishing him every success, wherever he lands.

Great post and I agree with it all except the 110% part. You can’t give more than 100% and it’s a particular bugbear of mine 😡

53 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Pete I’m worried about you. What are you going to do when he’s gone? 

Unless we sign another athlete instead of a footballer to replace Gana I shouldn't be too bad. Player-wise I don't think Keane is good enough for the club but he'll have more protection/not be left exposed as much as with Gana gone we'll defend more as a unit, more structured. Think the goals conceded will be down our right next year with Coleman high and Keane not suited to covering the right, players get past him too easily when he does (Gana was shocking at covering RB too so hopefully whoever the cm is does a better job). Ultimately depends on the manager though, who's probs my biggest concern, he could address the issue with Delph or whoever slotting in at RB or even just have Coleman not cross the half way line too much. We'll get caught out on the other side too but more down to the natural weakness in the tactics (much like when we had Baines Pienaar tandem) rather than the individuals weaknesses. But with Gana hopefully gone I expect a lot less goals down the middle. Think we will probs concede a similar amount but the opposition will have to work harder to get the goals more so if the set pieces/crosses weakness is addressed. The main thing that stood out when I rewatched the goals was how much harder we had to work to create ours whereas we were gifting the opposition easy chances. 

The other end of the pitch we've been very Martinez in doing the same thing every week so hoping Silva progresses the football and either finds a way to get Sigurdssen on the ball more (again assuming Gana goes his replacement will be better positionally and play the ball faster so expecting a marginal improvement at worst even if the tactics don't change, say marginal as Sigurdssen is a reactive player, if we're sticking with the same tactics I'd rather put in a player that is better at reading the play off the ball and quicker over the short yards. 

On 19/07/2019 at 22:44, c1982 said:

Palace have been linked to McCarthy, Tosun, Bolasie and Niasse... 

Palace have money in their pocket after selling Wan-Bassaka, so I do expect them to start throwing money at players. Hopefully with them having a bit extra cash we can sneak the price of James McCarthy up - Bolasie and Niasse too if they're serious about them. Tosun won't go as he's injured and it's just a lazy rumour as Allardyce wanted him at Palace before signing for us. 

Regarding McCarthy, it's only when you sit back and think about it that this move makes sense. At first thought there's no way I'd let McCarthy go, he's an incredible player but then when you sit back and think about it those fantastic games are many seasons away and he's been injured for a lot longer than anyone probably realises. 

To get a fee of around £8m for a player that hasn't played much for us in the past two campaigns and is heading into the last year of his contract is good business and takes away from the cost of the incoming players Gomes, Delph and Lossl (plus whoever we decide to bring in further).

He's been worth every penny since joining and goes with my highest blessing if the move materialises. Once of the players that you'll definitely applaud when returning to Goodison. 

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Palfy said:

I can't help feeling sad about him leaving he was a warrior for us, put his body on the line every time he pulled the shirt on.

Yeah I loved him when he signed and played for us. I think injuries have hampered him. I watched moneyball for the tenth time the other night and it applies to a player like McCarthy. Teams have a big network behind them. Stats etc it gets leaked. He’s obviously not the same player he was. Wish him nowt but the best 

17 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

because he will be injured again in another 20 minutes.

He broke his leg in a tackle (giving his all for the club). Leg breaks don't usually cause too much of an issue, I'm no physio but I'd assume if anything the extra rest will have helped sort out his hamstring issues as he's been unable to be rushed back. If he's back to 100% we've lost a very good player. 

6 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

What do you not get about the fact that McCarthy broke his leg because he was the only member of our team who gave a sh## that day? He gave his all for the team and all you can do is imply he’s worthless. 

and yet he continually went on national duty when he WAS STILL INJURED and then stole a wage from our club after getting injured time after time when he was half fit on national duty.  ROI didn't get stuck with the wage and medical bills, we did, all because of his stupidity and selfishness.

I see him more as a hard-luck/sympathetic figure than a villian. His career has been shit since Martinez got sacked. New manger in RK to impress, some untimely hamstring issues, and he got and followed some really poor advise from that dipshit ROI manager - O'Neal? - that eventually cost him almost the entire second half of the season, and certainly didn't endear him to the club or RK. Seems like his fitness was still an issue starting the following season and ROI duty further (rightly) infuriated RK. Then when he was finally fit he suffers a freak play where Rondon unleashed a shot that caught his leg before the ball snapping his tib-fib. 

He was a 23 year old rising EPL star under Martinez, now he is a 29 year old lost in the shuffle of multiple injuries, 4 different managerial styles and a squad that only has 2-3 of the teammates he started with. I honestly think more than anything he has tried to fight for his place on the pitch. Some rotten injury luck, a club that has turned over practically the entire squad, managers and owners over a few seasons isn't his doing. Some poor decisions when pulled between club and country are ultimately on him. 

I think he's still got the skill and grit to be an effective starter in the PL, but the relationship between him and the club appears unrecoverable, it's simply time to part for all involved. Hopefully a change in scenery and luck will allow him a few more productive years on the back half of his career. 

5 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

I see him more as a hard-luck/sympathetic figure than a villian. His career has been shit since Martinez got sacked. New manger in RK to impress, some untimely hamstring issues, and he got and followed some really poor advise from that dipshit ROI manager - O'Neal? - that eventually cost him almost the entire second half of the season, and certainly didn't endear him to the club or RK. Seems like his fitness was still an issue starting the following season and ROI duty further (rightly) infuriated RK. Then when he was finally fit he suffers a freak play where Rondon unleashed a shot that caught his leg before the ball snapping his tib-fib. 

He was a 23 year old rising EPL star under Martinez, now he is a 29 year old lost in the shuffle of multiple injuries, 4 different managerial styles and a squad that only has 2-3 of the teammates he started with. I honestly think more than anything he has tried to fight for his place on the pitch. Some rotten injury luck, a club that has turned over practically the entire squad, managers and owners over a few seasons isn't his doing. Some poor decisions when pulled between club and country are ultimately on him. 

I think he's still got the skill and grit to be an effective starter in the PL, but the relationship between him and the club appears unrecoverable, it's simply time to part for all involved. Hopefully a change in scenery and luck will allow him a few more productive years on the back half of his career. 

I was happy when we signed him and thought he could've been one of the better CMs in the league, but injuries have definitely hurt his time here. 

I'm hoping he goes on to be successful, but I think this is the best decision the club could make regarding him. Good luck James. 

8 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

BBC are reporting the fee is £3M

Lets just not mention this one when waxing lyrical about Brands' negotiation skills if it turns out to be true!

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yeah I saw that, what happened to the £8m offer that was refused. ??

What happened is you shouldn't just believe everything.

Driving down to Palace for a Medical now,  there is no connection to the Zaha transfer.

Everton midfielder James McCarthy is currently driving to London after Crystal Palace agreed a fee £3m to sign the 28yo Republic of Ireland international from #EFC. He will undergo a medical and finalise personal terms on Wednesday before completing a move to Selhurst Park #CPFC

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

and yet he continually went on national duty when he WAS STILL INJURED and then stole a wage from our club after getting injured time after time when he was half fit on national duty.  ROI didn't get stuck with the wage and medical bills, we did, all because of his stupidity and selfishness.

Mark you cant just refuse a call up or you run the risk of being banned at club level and fined. He either retired from international football for good or had to go. If anyone is to blame its Martin O'Neill and the Ireland FA, not McCarthy.