IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

8 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

He says we were a striker away from competing for the title.   We could have had Fernando Torres and it wouldn't have mattered.  Strikers were not used correctly by him.  

3 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Now.... there's a legend.  Haven't seen a better keeper in my lifetime.

Schmichael? Nope.  Probably the closest to him in terms of proof over time.  De Gea ability wise is close.

In reality this fella is the template for goalkeeping. 

Astounding that he kept a clean sheet in more than half his games, sure he had some great defenders in front of him for a few years but he also had some shite ones.

4 hours ago, hafnia said:

He says we were a striker away from competing for the title.   We could have had Fernando Torres and it wouldn't have mattered.  Strikers were not used correctly by him.  

Needless to say I totally disagree. If we had of had a Lukaku type player in the side that contained Baines, Piennar,Jags,Lescott, Cahill, Howard and Arteta all in their prime I have no doubt we would have won silverware and been contenders in the league 

9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Needless to say I totally disagree. If we had of had a Lukaku type player in the side that contained Baines, Piennar,Jags,Lescott, Cahill, Howard and Arteta all in their prime I have no doubt we would have won silverware and been contenders in the league 

If we had a lukaku in that side there is absolutely no way moyes will have allowed him to play the way he did ... absolutely no chance.

Moyes would not stomach a striker losing the ball and not working the line.  He had a finisher in yakubu, AJ and essentially made them workhorses. Yak wouldn't conform and after his injury he was done.

You only need to see how moyes managed RVP when he went to United. He was an elite level striker - golden boot winner and moyes couldn't get a tune from him.

Moyes and strikers just did not go together. 

11 minutes ago, hafnia said:

If we had a lukaku in that side there is absolutely no way moyes will have allowed him to play the way he did ... absolutely no chance.

Moyes would not stomach a striker losing the ball and not working the line.  He had a finisher in yakubu, AJ and essentially made them workhorses. Yak wouldn't conform and after his injury he was done.

You only need to see how moyes managed RVP when he went to United. He was an elite level striker - golden boot winner and moyes couldn't get a tune from him.

Moyes and strikers just did not go together. 

He never had a decent striker to work with so not sure how you can say that. Sure the Yak looked the part for his first season but then he did exactly what he did at every club he played for and wrapped his tits in

27 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

He never had a decent striker to work with so not sure how you can say that. Sure the Yak looked the part for his first season but then he did exactly what he did at every club he played for and wrapped his tits in

Jelavic - another one who came in and started great. Moyes managed it out of strikers. RVP and Hernandez at man United....  He played strikers out wide and expected labour and sacrifice at the detriment of their own games. 

4 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Jelavic - another one who came in and started great. Moyes managed it out of strikers. RVP and Hernandez at man United....  He played strikers out wide and expected labour and sacrifice at the detriment of their own games. 

The simple truth is that Jelavic couldn’t hack it in the Premiership , he didn’t exactly prove Moyes wrong when he left for Hull did he?

Man Utd was a poisoned chalice , the entire squad needed rebuilding and he wasn’t given the time to do it. That is proven by the fact LVG and Mourinho have thrown a ton of money at them , something else Moyes was denied the opportunity of doing, and they haven’t faired much better 

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

Saha wasnt bad.

Great player who's injury record with us wasn't bad at all.  

He had over 20 seperate injuries at United and only 10 with us 3 of which were strains. Tim Cahill had 31 injuries in his time with us.

I recall Saha struggling with the attacking midfielder cahill/fellaini occupying his spaces.... He was all too often forced into the channels and used as a target man. 

22 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

How dare you forget the legend that was James Beatie 👌😉

I could almost sound hypocritical when it comes to Moyes and strikers as my criticisms of Lukaku are exactly what would have led to Moyes benching him.

There's only a couple of elite level strikers that would have done well under him - Suarez to name one. Mainly because working his balls off is in his DNA whilst being able to score goals too. 

Whoever Moyes played up front he still would have gone away to the top 4 teams and set up to drawer. Beattie was never the striker to play up front on his own. We were really the first team in the prem to play one upfront. Now it is the norm. Beattie needed wingers to get to the byline and provide crosses so he could attack them. He was piss poor with his back to goal. Saha was quality he could have been at the top of the game if it wasn’t for injury.  Aj and the yak were not the same players after their bad injuries 

On 16/09/2018 at 14:57, MikeO said:

Just a shame Nevs best stuff is hidden away on vhs somewhere. I’ve never seen a goalkeeper before or since that comes close to him. He wouldn’t even move if he knew he was beaten. Which didn’t happen often. I remember seeing him games when people would shoot and instead of catching it he’d chest it down 😂

11 hours ago, MikeO said:

He was a goal every three games man for Southampton, Moyes soon coached that out of him! AJ was a goal every two at Palace so they must surely count as "decent" if not great.

Beattie wasn’t getting a game  at Southampton because his form fell off the cliff . The vast majority of AJ’s goals at Palace were from the spot and once he signed for us we wouldn’t have got a pen if he had been decapitated in the penalty spot 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/18/premier-league-clubs-charge-600-children-mascots

The Guardian says we're not charging anything

Some clubs, including Spurs, QPR and Newcastle, do, however, offer a number of free mascot places through competitions and charities. Others do not charge at all: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Southampton and Sunderland.

37 minutes ago, johnh said:

I have had a very quick response from Everton.  All is not as it seems.  There are three seperate packages for 'Mascots'.

1. Free for the children of season ticket holders and members.

2. Corporate hospitality for which there is a charge (no details given)

3. Everton in the community - 3 games per season for which the charge is £599 plus vat.

I have suggested in my reply that they advise the Telegraph of the true situation.  I have also suggested that as none of the packages appear to cater for children in 'just managing' families, that maybe something could be set up via the schools to provide this facility for free.  We are, after all, the People's club.

Pleased to hear they responded so quickly and pleased that the £599 figure is misleading

I think that the fact that it's free for member's kids probably covers the "just managing" demographic as that costs just £30 for a year.