IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

7 hours ago, hafnia said:

Yak for all his finishing ability wouldnt get a game for most clubs now.   

But... moyes ruined strikers.  He took them away from the danger area to benefit the attacking midfielders. Certain strikers would do well for moyes.... Marcus bent type players. Crafters who didn't measure output on goals. 

Beattie couldn’t get a game at Southampton and Moyes got him back in the England squad, AJ scored more goals in open play under Moyes than he did for any other manager, McFadden played the best football of his career for Scotland and Everton under Moyes’ watch but yeah he ruined strikers

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Beattie couldn’t get a game at Southampton and Moyes got him back in the England squad, AJ scored more goals in open play under Moyes than he did for any other manager, McFadden played the best football of his career for Scotland and Everton under Moyes’ watch but yeah he ruined strikers

Come on Dunc do you actually believe that?

Beattie scored less goals in 76 games for us than he did in his last full season at Southampton...13 goals.... he left us and scored 22 in the championship which is solid.

AJ played as a right winger practically under moyes. 17 goals in 61 games.... 

Moyes had RVP in his season at united a s had his team lumping crosses at him. 

Moyes had his attributes as a manager.... enhancing strikers wasn't one of them. 

https://www.football365.com/news/xhaka-can-get-in-f365s-team-of-the-week

Right-back: Seamus Coleman (Everton)
Spent almost the entire match buccaneering or freebooting or whatever it is full-backs do when they’re compared to pirates. (Why is it only full-backs?) Combined well with Theo Walcott and whoever else was nearby, and at times didn’t need to combine with anybody. Has always been a goal threat, and left no doubt with his finish. Also should have had an assist on his cutback for Gylfi Sigurdsson. Was frequently caught upfield, but that’s the way the Toffees play it these days, Jim lad. Give him an honorary eyepatch and parrot. And let the record show I refrained from calling his manager Long John Silva.

Centre-half: Michael Keane (Everton)
Has gone under the radar while we’ve been watching Richarlison and Gylfi Sigurdsson, but has really stepped up the past few weeks. Glenn Murray had been in excellent form, but Keane was dominant, and equally good with significant interventions elsewhere. By the way, Keane generally rates as one of the better passing defenders, and helped out the attack with some beauties here.

Central Midfielder: Idrissa Gueye (Everton)
Unlucky to miss out last week, he’s here after a second straight excellent outing. Brighton couldn’t get past him. Six tackles, three interceptions, and despite pretty aggressive play, only one foul. His form dipped a bit last year, but now his tackle percentage and tackles/90 are at an all-time personal high – in the latter category he leads the league by a large margin. If you’ve forgotten, he was relegated with Aston Villa, which proves something or other.

Not trying to stir up any more arguing, but just pointing out how people see things differently.

Gana has been pulled up for not being able to perform against big teams, yet last week against Utd was deemed unlucky not to make the premier 11. I thought he had an average game myself, but that’s probably because of the high standards I hold him to now. Neutrals seem to think he had a good game.

Its interesting how we all look at the game so differently, yet all believe that our way is correct and everyone else must be missing something.

Again though, great to actually see our players named hear days.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Not trying to stir up any more arguing, but just pointing out how people see things differently.

Gana has been pulled up for not being able to perform against big teams, yet last week against Utd was deemed unlucky not to make the premier 11. I thought he had an average game myself, but that’s probably because of the high standards I hold him to now. Neutrals seem to think he had a good game.

Its interesting how we all look at the game so differently, yet all believe that our way is correct and everyone else must be missing something.

Again though, great to actually see our players named hear days.

I don't think they've watched it, well not the full 90. Looks like they're going off the stats for Gana and motd highlights for Coleman. Coleman had a terrible first half other than the cut back to Sigurdssen and his crossing throughout was very poor. I've not watched all the games but I'd be surprised if he was the best one last weekend. 

Just wondering does anyone have any sympathy for any of the players we’ve brought in the last couple of years who can’t secure a place in that starting eleven, I was thinking about this when taking the dog for a walk.

And the only one I feel gutted for is Tosun obviously I don’t feel sorry for him the money he’s making will take away the pain of any disappointment he maybe feeling, but of the newer signings who can’t get a start I feel he came with the right intentions to prove he was good enough to play for us, and he left a team he was playing well for and the shop window of champions league football to come, I know it’s not over yet for him but I’m gutted how it’s gone for him so far. 

Also are there any players who you feel are in this category who will want to leave come the end of the season due to lack of opportunities, I think Lookman will still be one. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Just wondering does anyone have any sympathy for any of the players we’ve brought in the last couple of years who can’t secure a place in that starting eleven, I was thinking about this when taking the dog for a walk.

And the only one I feel gutted for is Tosun obviously I don’t feel sorry for him the money he’s making will take away the pain of any disappointment he maybe feeling, but of the newer signings who can’t get a start I feel he came with the right intentions to prove he was good enough to play for us, and he left a team he was playing well for and the shop window of champions league football to come, I know it’s not over yet for him but I’m gutted how it’s gone for him so far. 

Also are there any players who you feel are in this category who will want to leave come the end of the season due to lack of opportunities, I think Lookman will still be one. 

At that level the money doesn’t come into it, they are all millionaires and most want to play out of a love of being a footballer. I agree Tosun wanted the opportunity and it’s not quite gone for him yet. I think anyone else it’s not worked out for is out of the door already. 

Still time for Tosun yet though, fingers crossed for him. 

53 minutes ago, Shukes said:

There are a few who’s fortunes seem to have changed with our change in staff.

Tosun, Davies, are the two most prominent. But also watching Barkley recently makes me wander what would have happened if he had stayed. He looks a much different player under different management.

I’m still gutted Barkley isn’t in this side, I think he just didn’t take to Koeman’s personality, he won’t be the last though. I hoped Sam would have put everything into getting him to stay, but his first press conference he pretty much gave up on that. 

Good article. Echos many thoughts on here. Will be interesting to see how the defensive conundrum pans out. 

Personally I think it would be harsh on Zouma if it is him to he dropped as he has been solid, but the fact remains he isnt our player, and the manager may prefer to build with our own players.

https://www.football365.com/news/arsenal-to-huddersfield-a-statistical-look-at-every-club

Everton

The Toffees are owners of one of the most surprising stats of the season: they’ve had more headed shots than any other side, 42. Just as surprising is that it’s not that close. Leicester City have 39, and third-place Tottenham 32. The reason is that Everton have taken the most shots of any kind from set-pieces. Michael Keane is the poster boy, racking up 15 set-piece headers, the most in the league. With Gylfi Sigurdsson delivering, perhaps it’s not actually all that surprising.

Perhaps opponents should stop fouling them, then. Everton have been fouled more than any other team, and the gap between them and second-place Bournemouth is huge. I have no explanation: times fouled is a stat that seems to bounce around teams fairly randomly.

You’d expect lots of changes when you go from Allardyce to Silva, and here are some of the biggies. Shots/game are up from 9.4 to 13.3, shots allowed/game are down from 14.2 to 10.4, possession is up from 46.7% to 50.1%. Yet somehow set-piece shots/game are up from 2.5 to 4.5. Go figure.