IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

16th, 16th, 15th & 18th is how they have finished under Martinez. I'd take him if Pereira didn't come as with limited funds that Wigan have and a squad that's ripped apart every season I think those positions ain't bad.

I've said many times Martinez isn't my first choice but he's much better than others mentioned.

As I mentioned in a different thread. Before this season if you take the 3 years before Martinez turned up they only average less than 1pt more each season than the 3 years since Martinez arrived. Considering he has had to deal with a squad revamp, losing his best players each season and introducing a new style of play that isnt actually bad at all. This season is the disappointment but they have won the FA Cup and they have played better than the last 3 seasons IMO, especially when their keys players have been fit.

Laudrup would be my 3rd choice to be honest with you. He has had one good season in the PL we will see what sort of manager he is next season.

Newcastle also had a good season last season and finished 5th. Do you think last season if we were in this position and Pardrew hadn't signed his 8 year contract we would be considering him?

Porto manager I wouldn't want, Porto have a great squad and can spend money in the transfer market when needed. We have a limited squad compared.

For me it would be Martinez or Mackay - the only problem with Martinez is he is an attacking side and not really good at defending.

"The club have heard nothing whatsoever," he said. "Everton are a super club and they know the rules and regulations. They are very mannerly and I don't think they would ever approach Roberto before the season is over."

I sometimes wonder if Everton are too mannerly and if the club loses out because of it. Need to man up and take control of the situation. Play fair but play hard, both on and off the pitch. If we want a certain manager and if he looks available. Contact him somehow. Let him know.

We will fucking end up with Mark Hughes, I can feel it in my bones.

I don't know about Martinez anymore. I hadn't heard this until the match today, but apparently Wigan finished 11th the season before Martinez arrived. Of course it is difficult with such a small budget, and losing your best 1-3 players every summer, but still, I'm just not sure. Now getting Wigan to 11th is TRULY a massive achievement (Steve Bruce of all people did it too).

Yeah but look at the players he had, Martinez came in and they were sold already.

Valencia, Cattermole, Bramble.

Plus this year and the last Wigan have lost Zogbia, Moses, Rodellaga. Some key players who if they were there might have made a difference. I know all IFs and BUTS but this year he has had a more limited squad than last.

Guest rusty747

I have just read the interview Martinez gave last night after confirmation of Wigan's relegation. When asked if he would be staying at Wigan his reply was 'Now is not the time to be asking that question.' To me, that means he thinks Everton will come knocking and he would be interested.

I don't know about Martinez anymore. I hadn't heard this until the match today, but apparently Wigan finished 11th the season before Martinez arrived. Of course it is difficult with such a small budget, and losing your best 1-3 players every summer, but still, I'm just not sure. Now getting Wigan to 11th is TRULY a massive achievement (Steve Bruce of all people did it too).

Just to add....

In 151 games in charge of Wigan, Martinez has won just 38 games.

That's an average of just over 9 wins per season.

I think he could do a good job with the squad we have but I really don't know why everyone (not just some Everton fans) think the sun shines out of his arse.

Just to add....

I think he could do a good job with the squad we have but I really don't know why everyone (not just some Everton fans) think the sun shines out of his arse.

I don't think everyone thinks the sun shines out of his arse. I know some Wigan fans who can't wait to get him out the door...like some people on here calling for Moyes to go.

He is a nice guy, respected as well. It like the skysports presenter said yesterday. They were gutted, but Wigan this year has been a team that a neutral fan loves to watch because they have played attractive football this season. If he stays as manager then I reckon he will get Wigan up next season, that is if loads of players don't leave.

I don't think everyone thinks the sun shines out of his arse. I know some Wigan fans who can't wait to get him out the door...like some people on here calling for Moyes to go.

He is a nice guy, respected as well. It like the skysports presenter said yesterday. They were gutted, but Wigan this year has been a team that a neutral fan loves to watch because they have played attractive football this season. If he stays as manager then I reckon he will get Wigan up next season, that is if loads of players don't leave.

I understand he's a nice guy but so's Chris Hughton, or Nigel Adkins but it doesn't make them contenders for the job.

It's all very well playing attractive football but we need a manger who knows how to WIN games, when passing the ball around the park won't be enough to secure that. Does Martinez have a plan B?! It seems not as Wigan just cannot grind out results, they either seem to win emphatically (possession/chances wise) or lose horrendously.

We need someone who will make us play attractive football, but difficult to beat (which undoubtedly was one of Moyes strengths).

I am optimistic about the future though, it will be certainly be interesting to see which youngsters get a nod next season!

Just to add....

Because he has a limited squad play very nice football and he has done for a number of seasons and even at different clubs. It's similar to how some people think Moyes is the best manager in the league despite winning nothing. You have to look at a manager's credentials in context, there isn't a manager in the world that's going to get this Wigan squad on the winning hand. He'd be my preferred choice, ahead of Laudrup, because he has been able to instill his playing style at both clubs he's managed. Rodgers and Laudrup have just come in and simply continued, built on, the way Swansea were already playing.

Because he has a limited squad play very nice football and he has done for a number of seasons and even at different clubs. It's similar to how some people think Moyes is the best manager in the league despite winning nothing. You have to look at a manager's credentials in context, there isn't a manager in the world that's going to get this Wigan squad on the winning hand. He'd be my preferred choice, ahead of Laudrup, because he has been able to instill his playing style at both clubs he's managed. Rodgers and Laudrup have just come in and simply continued, built on, the way Swansea were already playing.

Steve Bruce managed to finish 10th with Wigan though?! you could say that Wigan lost a lot of key players but those players were bought cheap and sold high, there is nothing to say they couldn't be replaced...surely?!

I understand that Martinez has a nice philosophy and that he sticks by it in his teams, but that philosophy is flawed as he cant get his teams to defend! When stoke first came up they had a pretty unrecognisable back line but they knew what they had to do to win games in the Prem and build from there. I'm not saying I want a manager who will make us play stoke (god forbid!!) but sadly not everyone can play like Barcelona..least of all Wigan, which is why yet are going down.

Also, Norwich, Swansea and WBA probably have similar wage budgets and they have finished higher than Wigan.

Steve Bruce managed to finish 10th with Wigan though?! you could say that Wigan lost a lot of key players but those players were bought cheap and sold high, there is nothing to say they couldn't be replaced...surely?!

Obviously there is, or they would have spent that money? Maybe their spending after coming up just wasn't sustainable in the long term so they went away from it?

I understand that Martinez has a nice philosophy and that he sticks by it in his teams, but that philosophy is flawed as he cant get his teams to defend! When stoke first came up they had a pretty unrecognisable back line but they knew what they had to do to win games in the Prem and build from there. I'm not saying I want a manager who will make us play stoke (god forbid!!) but sadly not everyone can play like Barcelona..least of all Wigan, which is why yet are going down.
Also, Norwich, Swansea and WBA probably have similar wage budgets and they have finished higher than Wigan.
WBA's wage bill is nowhere near that of Wigan. 50m to 38m last season. Norwich and Swansea's were similar last season, but that was in their first season out of the Championship. I bet theirs has even risen this season as Norwich mainly let go of youngsters and bought first teamers this summer (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/norwich-city/transfers/verein_1123_2012_default_default_alle_a_default.html), Swansea as well sold guys on Championship contracts and bought guys from the Spanish, Italian and German leagues (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/swansea-city/transfers/verein_2288_2012_default_default_alle_a_default.html), while Wigan's probably went down even further (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/wigan-athletic/transfers/verein_1071_2012_default_default_alle_a_default.html).

I think a common theme that I am seeing is that people who assess a managers performance based on common perceptions and very few accompanying facts - (pretty much on the back of a fag packet) think that Martinez would have us leaking goals, losing games but playing nice football...

It's all the same when when people refer to Moyes Everton as 'plucky', 'hard to beat', 'built on a shoe string' rather than - 'full of international quality' 'highly paid', 'top 8 salaries'.

If people are going to have a strong opinion on Martinez, they need to make the relevant research to have an informed opinion. Steve_E just demonstrated the power of google.

I believe in Martinez, my concerns are his defensive record but taking into account the quality of his defenders and his salary budget I think he can overcome them at Everton, he has missed his strongest defenders for some time now. Attacking wise and philosophy he is school of science.

Martinez added to Sky Sports: "We have conceded far too many goals. Going forward we have been magnificent, I think it's been our best season in terms of performances, but the injuries in the back line are something I have never seen before.

"To have four, five, even six players missing in the back line and our keeper affected with injury - our captain Antolin Alcaraz, Ivan Ramis out for the season, Ben Watson with a broken leg, (Jean) Beausejour, (Maynor) Figueroa... We have to have so many different partnerships and keep changing, and that caused us problems."

I think even the likes of the top 4 teams would struggle with that situation, bravo to martinez for winning the FA cup.

Edited by Hafnia

I agree Haf.

Take into account Coleman, Jags, Distin & Baines, coaches at the club like Stubbs and Weir, I couldn't see our defence being too much of a problem.

There has been a lot of talk about him playing five at the back, but I've only noticed him doing this against the bigger teams when he has injuries. I see more of a 433 from them, which I think could be great from our team, even with out any new players.

Pienaar Jelavic Mirallas

Gibson Fellaini Osman

Baines Distin Jags Coleman

I could really see that working with Martinez's attacking style, and still be solid at the back.

Players who likely flourish under martinez - Barkley, Osman, Gibson, Heitinga, Fellaini, Jelavic, Mirallas, Oviedo, Baines, McAleny, pienaar

All technically very sound, comfortable in possession, I only forsee problems for maybe Jags, Distin and Coleman if it is involving building and playing from the back. Heitinga would be the ideal defender for Martinez in that respect.

The core of our talent are very capable footballers. Having a footballing manager will see them go to a new level, i'm certain of that.

I appreciate all the points everyone has made, but it still doesn't answer the question as to whether he knows how to win games when it's not possible to play champagne football. I can't see him ever being a manager who would encourage long ball tactics, but sadly sometimes it's necessary.

Also in response to the research/google questions, did I not start my argument with stats and facts?!

38 wins in 151 games...

Edited by MoyesForPM

Players who likely flourish under martinez - Barkley, Osman, Gibson, Heitinga, Fellaini, Jelavic, Mirallas, Oviedo, Baines, McAleny, pienaar

All technically very sound, comfortable in possession, I only forsee problems for maybe Jags, Distin and Coleman if it is involving building and playing from the back. Heitinga would be the ideal defender for Martinez in that respect.

The core of our talent are very capable footballers. Having a footballing manager will see them go to a new level, i'm certain of that.

I think even Coleman would flourish under Martinez. He has shown creativity and his ability to get forward this season has really been impressive.

Shaking my head at why so many want a manager who has just failed to keep a decent team in the Premiership.

We need a winning mentality if we are to challenge the top teams in the Prem.

Decent team? I laughed a little at that. Wigan doesn't have the caliber of defensive players that we have.

One Question:

11 years ago who would have put David Moyes on their shortlist?

- no premiership experience

- some success with Preston NE, but their were plenty of other championship teams doing better.

- no european experience

He obviously had the right skills to do a fantastic job though!

I think Martinez is a similar mould and he would be my choice.

If we selceted an experienced (top division and european) and successful with a large transfer/wage budget and European I think it would be a very expensive mistake with us probablyt ending up the next Leeds Utd.

Edited by Trigger

Decent team? I laughed a little at that. Wigan doesn't have the caliber of defensive players that we have.

They have a strong side Tonk.

They might not be all well known, but if you take a close look there is quality.

Maloney, Mcarthy, Beausejour, Kone, and Di Santo are all strong players in my mind.