IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Our players are ok 'now' but even with the older lads, we still have a very small squad.

It's important to look beyond next season, and put measures in place now, so that we are prepared. Even with Moyes here, we are still woefully short of players. We need added strength in midfield, and added strength up front, and we also have an ageing keeper, and an ageing defense.

I think it is 100% certain that we will sell Fellaini, and possibly Baines too.

This actually doesn't worry me, but it will be difficult to get great deals on players if the world knows we are cashing in. If we don't cash in, the older players will have little value as seasons pass, and we will be left with large gaps in the squad, and no money.

It's actually a similar situation to when Moyes took over, only we're much better as a first eleven. I expect any plan will be to reduce the age of the squad over the next 2 seasons while we still have assets on the pitch, and it will be an opportunity for a new manager to create his own team.

What do I want in a manager ?

Firstly, and most importantly, I want a manager who knows how to keep us in the Premier League and everything after that is a bonus.

And how is it decided who is a manager who knows how to keep a side in the Premier League and who isn't? Is it purely based on the results a manager has had with a previous side? Martinez went down after keeping Wigan up for three seasons, so is by definition not a suitable candidate? Would Martin O'Neill be an adequate candidate for you? He might have taken Sunderland down, despite spending lots of money, but got fired so didn't get relegated, is he still a manager that knows how to keep us in the Premier League? Or would you agree there's more to it, that capable managers might go down because of the team they're employed by? Do you think Harry Redknapp knows how to keep a side in the Premier League? He has done so for over 20 seasons, did well enough at Spurs and the likes, but took over a bad side and despite spending money still went down.

Forget looking at winning things, and European qualification. They are the prizes of the fortunate, and should only be pursued once we have established solid and safe foundations again. If you turn your attention to the stars too soon, you will eventually stumble. Choose the right path, put on the right shoes, and ensure your guide knows where the dangers are and how to avoid them. Then, and only then, should we look up at all that heavenly glory. Moyes took steps to ensure all the pitfalls were addressed, and as a result, we were able to relax, and turn our attention towards winning things, and in fairness, he came very close.

I agree. There will be some rebuilding needed, not necessarily next season, but definitely over the course of the coming seasons.

The last thing we need now is to hire a manager who has not made the journey to our required destination before. We are no longer a team struggling to survive, and fighting in the bottom half of the table every year. When we took on Moyes, it was a risk worth taking, as things couldn't have been much worse, and by the grace of God he proved to be a wonderful manager, who over time, created stability, improved the squad, regained respect from our peers, and showed us consistency year after year. It was no longer a case of being the plucky underdog who occasionally played well. We are firmly established as one of the finest sides in the league, and we are there because all the correct work was done, and done well.

Hiring a new manager should be about appointing somebody who can embrace the work already done, understand it, and improve upon it by incorporating their own experience of what is needed, and mixing it with the psychological strength to see it through, without bottling it. It should be a manager who is not in the slightest bit intimidated by our rivals, and one who is not going to be manipulated by our boardroom.

Yes, a young manager 'could' get lucky, but we need a guy who won't need to rely on luck, as he knows what he is doing. We have a team full of International players who will want to be inspired by a winner, and not somebody who has less experience than they do.

Is Manchester United hiring David Moyes a bad move according to you then? He's got absolutely no experience at competing at that level, he could do well though and experience won't have anything to with it, just like it didn't have anything to do with him doing well in the PL with Everton after only managing in Division One before that, just like it won't stop Martinez or Laudrup from doing well here if they have the inherent qualities of fine managers, despite their lack of experience at this level. In a related way, Redknapp's experience at sides like Spurs didn't save QPR either.

Anybody who thinks the only guys in the running for the job are low profile figures like Martinez, Laudrup, Lennon etc are probably a bit naive. This is now a high profile appointment, and with it will attract high profile applicants, and we probably won't get to know who the next manager is until all the European leagues are ended.

How are Roberto Martinez and Michael Laudrup low profile figures? Martinez has been heavily considered for the Liverpool job and has won an FA Cup. Laudrup used to be one of the best players in the world (which apparently matters to you, according to one of your earlier posts), has won 4 cups and 1 league title (albeit in the Danish league). Anyone who thinks Hiddink or Klopp (whom I have seen fans call for) will be coming here are delusional.

All I can say is that he won't be Kenny Dalglish or Alex Ferguson. happy.png

Some very negative and contradicting posts in this thread recently.....

Im not even looking into who may come in now and just hanging fire to see who is appointed its no different to the silly season being linked with multiple players then getting someone in we or most have never even heard of or considered.

All I will say is our foundations have not been tested not yet anyway and we should be looking at winning things that's what all sport is about and where commercial value and revenue increase which goes hand in hand with moving the club forward.

Question occurred to me (while I was doing the washing up)...for Bill and Dunc and anyone else who'd be happy to finish top ten next season...

Other than the obvious six, which other three teams would you be happy to see us finish behind?

Question occurred to me (while I was doing the washing up)...for Bill and Dunc and anyone else who'd be happy to finish top ten next season...

Other than the obvious six, which other three teams would you be happy to see us finish behind?

"Happy" is a strong word, but I appreciate Swansea, WBA, and Newcastle (every other season). happy.png

motherfu.... had 8 responses highlighted to respond too since ive missed this topic the last few days, but fkin site froze when I hit reply and lost them all... So taking the 1st one on this page and will have a look through again.

What do I want in a manager ?

Firstly, and most importantly, I want a manager who knows how to keep us in the Premier League and everything after that is a bonus.

?! Weve just finished in the top 8 for the umpteenth time and survival is the objective our new manager?

Forget looking at winning things, and European qualification. They are the prizes of the fortunate, and should only be pursued once we have established solid and safe foundations again. Theyre the prizes of the best playing team in the competition. Fortune may enter into it occasionally but a good manager and good team usually win because they are good (see Chelski yesterday)

If you turn your attention to the stars too soon, you will eventually stumble. Choose the right path, put on the right shoes, and ensure your guide knows where the dangers are and how to avoid them. Then, and only then, should we look up at all that heavenly glory.

Moyes took steps to ensure all the pitfalls were addressed, and as a result, we were able to relax, and turn our attention towards winning things, and in fairness, he came very close.

The last thing we need now is to hire a manager who has not made the journey to our required destination before. We are no longer a team struggling to survive, and fighting in the bottom half of the table every year. When we took on Moyes, it was a risk worth taking, as things couldn't have been much worse, and by the grace of God he proved to be a wonderful manager, who over time, created stability, improved the squad, regained respect from our peers, and showed us consistency year after year. It was no longer a case of being the plucky underdog who occasionally played well. We are firmly established as one of the finest sides in the league, and we are there because all the correct work was done, and done well.

Hiring a new manager should be about appointing somebody who can embrace the work already done, understand it, and improve upon it by incorporating their own experience of what is needed, and mixing it with the psychological strength to see it through, without bottling it. It should be a manager who is not in the slightest bit intimidated by our rivals, and one who is not going to be manipulated by our boardroom. Spot on

Yes, a young manager 'could' get lucky, but we need a guy who won't need to rely on luck, as he knows what he is doing. We have a team full of International players who will want to be inspired by a winner, and not somebody who has less experience than they do.

Anybody who thinks the only guys in the running for the job are low profile figures like Martinez, Laudrup, Lennon etc are probably a bit naive. This is now a high profile appointment, and with it will attract high profile applicants, and we probably won't get to know who the next manager is until all the European leagues are ended. Spot on - but can I ask you who is a realistic high profile candidate for the job then? Martinez is a cup winner, Laudrup is a cup winner....

All I can say is that he won't be Kenny Dalglish or Alex Ferguson. happy.png

just seen it was you Av that was talking about an aging squad! :lol: Honestly didnt know that when I posted in the Beckham thread.

Think it was Rubes or Marco or said something about Holloway. I still like his style of play and wouldnt be totally against him taking over. Yes he got relegated, but as Ive previously posted he got his championship team to score more than the team that finished 5th. If he had had a defence (was the worst in the league), like 2-3 quality CBs Blackpool wouldve been a comfortable midtable club.

Cant be arsed reading through the last 6 pages for the rest!

I didn't say I would be happy with a top 10 finish

My stance is that I cant see any manager coming in and doing any better than Moyes did without first getting considerable financial backing.

For the record I don't think we will get anywhere near either of the Manchester clubs or Chelsea and it will be extremely difficult to catch Spurs or Arsenal

I was going to post about the Poyet rumours after I just herd he'd been suspended from Brighton.

I wouldn't mind him if I'm honest. Has a good footballing philosophy, and has managed to turn a poor team into something decent without a huge ammount of money.

I'm glad it's not me making the choice though, so many positives and negatives for each and every candidate.

My stance is that I cant see any manager coming in and doing any better than Moyes did without first getting considerable financial backing.

I don't think anybody can do what Moyes has done if they are brought in to fill his shoes as a like for like replacement, that's why I don't want Lennon, Round, Stubbs, O'Neill, etc... I want a totally fresh approach which may actually propel us higher with our current squad/assets - a risk yes but for me it's the best option. Because of this the likes of Martinez, Pereira, Laudrup, etc appeal to me.

The one anomaly for me is McKay, as I see him as like for like but I can see the appeal.

I didn't say I would be happy with a top 10 finish

For the record I don't think we will get anywhere near either of the Manchester clubs or Chelsea and it will be extremely difficult to catch Spurs or Arsenal

Yes i did say i would be happy with a top ten finish, the last three seasons have been top ten finishes 7, 6, and 6 again, or are they not top ten finishes. ??

I was just pointing out that it will be difficult to finish any higher, and maybe with the change of manager, different backroom staff, and a change of tactics, the players might not be comfortable trying to play a different style.

Lets face it Moyes has a style of his own, all the players are his own, and they have been groomed to play in a certain way, so It will be difficult, but as i said i will be happy with a top ten finish 6.7.8 or 9.

Is that clear Mike, (now go and dry them dishes).

Edited by Bill

Sums up that Wigan were bad. He's a fan of Sunderland, so he knows they spent 29m on forwards this season, thus it might not be fair to compare Wigan's scoring with Sunderland's (and Wigan's is still better). Newcastle and Sunderland have much bigger squads, thus they will deal with injuries easier. He's misrepresenting the context as Jewell and Bruce did have more money than Martinez does. I could go on, but it's obvious that article isn't the result of unbiased journalism.

I'm wondering if Guy Poyet's suspension as Brighton manager has any link to possibly talking to Everton. Fancied there was a decent chance for him in the first place especially after they lost their play off game so this would tie up well for me.

Disappointment at not getting promotion and being told that there is only a £10 million transfer budget for next season, has been quoted as being the reason he argued with the board, and he was immediately suspended.

He wont come here if we tell him we dont have any transfer budget at all, he'll have to get everything on Hire Purchase or Car boot sales.