IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

I'm wondering if Guy Poyet's suspension as Brighton manager has any link to possibly talking to Everton. Fancied there was a decent chance for him in the first place especially after they lost their play off game so this would tie up well for me.

Hmmmmm....suspended for breach of contract eh?

Sounds like Gus wants to be on the move. His managerial profile is similar to that of Moyes at Preston and he does seem to have ambitions elsewhere than Brighton. (He is said to have voiced that he has taken Brighton as far as he is able, hence the breach.....)

Great player credentials (not that it is entirely relevant) both Euro and International and good management credentials too. Considering that he's only 45 and been assistant manager at Leeds, Swindon and Spurs and had good results too as top man at Brighton he could be a good investment....and cheaper too than many of those others that have been touted.

IMHO worth a go!

Edited by Oztoffee

Now Beckham's retired, how about offering him the job? Would dramatically increase the club's profile (thereby helping a sale), would get players wanting to come, would get the others wanting to play. Big risk, but with Phil as assistant?

Edited by formby

Now Beckham's retired, how about offering him the job? Would dramatically increase the club's profile (thereby helping a sale), would get players wanting to come, would get the others wanting to play. Big risk, but with Phil as assistant?

I genuinely like the idea but the reality is terrifying!

I think Beckham's next venture will be ownership of an MLS club. He had an option in his contract to be a part-owner/owner. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I think he'll be a figurehead in MLS for awhile.

Vítor Pereira - porto

Lucien Favre - Monchengladbach

Martinez - I've really gone off the idea of him AT ALL NOW the more time I've had to think about him... over-rated I believe & F4S HIS team just got relegated

Please, please let us speak to either of these boys, I'm more leaning toward Vítor Pereira, league finishes Sunday (1st) and Germany finishes tom (8th)

Edited by drs08

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8718332

Good point made by Howard Kendall in tonights Echo

"The bookies clearly think Everton’s next manager is going to be Roberto Martinez – and while I respect him as a coach I have my concern about his side’s defensive frailties.

Martinez has been at Wigan for a few years and yet they’ve gone down with one of the poorest defensive records in the league.

Everyone admires the way Martinez’s teams try to play – but ultimately they’re in the Championship next season.

He has had plenty of time to sort out why Wigan concede so many goals and hasn’t managed it.

It’s a point worth considering. You’ve got to beware of style over substance.

They used to call Arsenal boring years ago but they nevertheless won trophies. Now they’ll pass you to death but win nothing."

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

All this talk of Rafa today has got me thinking. We actually need a manager with those credentials, whilst he may not be suitable, he is the type of manager we need to be looking at imo. We are about to lose our current manager to arguably the biggest team in world football. He has been hand picked because of his qualities and the level he has got Everton FC playing at now. We need to replace a top manager with a top manager, out of the current list linked at the moment i don't really see anyone the more i look. I really think if we have to sacrifice some transfer funds to get the right man then so be it, If we get the right man then he could be here for a while like Moyes, so im not arsed if it costs us, it will be worth it in the long run. A top manager would be able to keep Baines and Fellaini and attract others. Im wondering if we should be looking abroad for a manager, i just don't see any standouts in this country.

Edited by Simon

Not sure we should be looking abroad for a manager. But then again who knows what BK is planning. Or when he will announce it for that matter . I will bet he makes no announcement until the day before the opening game of the season.

Only because i don't see a suitable candidate in this country

All this talk of Rafa today has got me thinking. We actually need a manager with those credentials, whilst he may not be suitable, he is the type of manager we need to be looking at imo. We are about to lose our current manager to arguably the biggest team in world football. He has been hand picked because of his qualities and the level he has got Everton FC playing at now. We need to replace a top manager with a top manager, out of the current list linked at the moment i don't really see anyone the more i look. I really think if we have to sacrifice some transfer funds to get the right man then so be it, If we get the right man then he could be here for a while like Moyes, so im not arsed if it costs us, it will be worth it in the long run. A top manager would be able to keep Baines and Fellaini and attract others. Im wondering if we should be looking abroad for a manager, i just don't see any standouts in this country.

smile.png

I'll quote myself again:

I know i'm repeating myself a lot here about Benitez but, blue glasses off, YES! Forget that he managed liverpool, forget that we all hate him for calling Everton a small club, forget his smug little face....Look at his credentials:

La Liga (twice), Uefa cup, Champions league, Uefa super cup, Fa Cup, supercoppa italiana, FIFA world club cup.

Everton are at a juncture where they are no longer looking to stay afloat, they are looking to move forward into the top 4/5 of the premier league and into Europe (hopefully with some rich dude coming in to give us the financial clout that's really needed). We need a manager with these sorts of credentials who knows how to win things. Out of the managers available, he is my choice - in spite of the Liverpool connections.

We need to be looking up...a top manager who has won things and can bring together a talented team. Not Martinez, not Laudrup, not Poyet - they have NPower Championship written all over them. <edit> OK, that's a bit harsh...what i mean is they are not experienced enough! </edit>

I think we're all still thinking that we're the same club that we were in 2001. We're not, we're the 6th best team in the country this year!

Edited by johnno

Question occurred to me (while I was doing the washing up)...for Bill and Dunc and anyone else who'd be happy to finish top ten next season...

Other than the obvious six, which other three teams would you be happy to see us finish behind?

I guess thats an impossible question until we know who takes over. If its Bruce, MON, Lennon, it could be any of 19 (despite the foundation set). But assuming we get a decent manager Id say only Liverpool and West Brom could give us a push. I only mention West Brom because I like Clarke. Hes a solid manager and wouldnt be against him taking over either.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8718332

Good point made by Howard Kendall in tonights Echo

"The bookies clearly think Everton’s next manager is going to be Roberto Martinez – and while I respect him as a coach I have my concern about his side’s defensive frailties.

Martinez has been at Wigan for a few years and yet they’ve gone down with one of the poorest defensive records in the league.

Everyone admires the way Martinez’s teams try to play – but ultimately they’re in the Championship next season.

He has had plenty of time to sort out why Wigan concede so many goals and hasn’t managed it.

It’s a point worth considering. You’ve got to beware of style over substance.

They used to call Arsenal boring years ago but they nevertheless won trophies. Now they’ll pass you to death but win nothing."

Not really. Wigan can actually be a good defensive team, especially when they play 5 at the back. They dont concede many goals because they are structurally unsound, they concede goals because they have idiots like Caldwell in the team. Not to mention not being able to keep the same back 3, 4 or 5 each week.

I didnt see the game against Arsenal but they shut City down so they barely had a sniff, they would have kept a clean sheet at Swansea had it not been for a Caldwell howler, the midfielder play RB letting his man stay on side and then about 3 players failing to make a clearance before McArthur missed a simple header. We barely created a chance in the Cup at our and again at the end of last season they played all the big boys and for the most part restricted them to half chances. Some people obviously have very short memories of our own form when certain players couldn't stop making howlers and we were conceding silly goals and we were hoofing it clear at every opportunity and not trying to play! Dont forget these games are also ones in which they have dominated possession and created several good chances.

His comments on Arsenal are also pretty stupid considering Arsenal have also won lots of trophies playing brilliant football. Arsenal arent not winning trophies because they play good football, they aren't winning trophies because they havent been good enough when push comes to shove. At the moment they aren't that great to watch and they still aren't winning anything!

Maybe instead of talking about who we want we should decide on what we want to see from a new manager? Personally I couldn't care less whether its Martinez or some bloke I have never heard of as long as he has the right qualities to take us forward.

The main points for me would be:

1. Good at working with a small budget with previous experience of buying low and selling high.

2. Encourages youth players to develop whether it be within the first team set up or on loan.

3. A good man manager who is able to get the most out of his playing staff with a positive frame of mind.

4. Tactically astute, preferably pressing higher up the pitch and defending from the front and not afraid to get people into attacking areas.

5. Experience of managing the club and not just the playing squad ideally to be at Everton for a generation and not just a couple of years.

There are probably some other key points that I have forgotten but generally a young, enthusiastic and ambitious manager is what we need to take us forward. We need a manager like that to keep up the good work that Moyes has done. The likes Benitez's and Mancini's of the management world would milk us dry and leave us when the going got really tough just so they didnt have a bad mark on their CV.

Maybe instead of talking about who we want we should decide on what we want to see from a new manager? Personally I couldn't care less whether its Martinez or some bloke I have never heard of as long as he has the right qualities to take us forward.

The main points for me would be:

1. Good at working with a small budget with previous experience of buying low and selling high.

2. Encourages youth players to develop whether it be within the first team set up or on loan.

3. A good man manager who is able to get the most out of his playing staff with a positive frame of mind.

4. Tactically astute, preferably pressing higher up the pitch and defending from the front and not afraid to get people into attacking areas.

5. Experience of managing the club and not just the playing squad ideally to be at Everton for a generation and not just a couple of years.

There are probably some other key points that I have forgotten but generally a young, enthusiastic and ambitious manager is what we need to take us forward. We need a manager like that to keep up the good work that Moyes has done. The likes Benitez's and Mancini's of the management world would milk us dry and leave us when the going got really tough just so they didnt have a bad mark on their CV.

If we are looking to move on to the next step as a club, maybe we should possibly looking at the Bundesliga for a candidate. Reason being that the German style seems to be the latest phase in the modern game, many of the German teams/managers are used to working with small budgets, so promote and develop youth players. Their style tends to be attacking but hard working which would fit in with the ethos instilled into the players under Moyes.

Benitez always puzzles. It's not a name I have any real animosity for, despite taking one or two much hated clubs to honors, the fact remains he has been successful and delivered trophies. He made a snide comment about our club in calling the club 'small' but prepared to look beyond that, and if he was, for arguments sake, installed as new manager this close season, the one thing above all else would be curiosity. Have to say it's a name that actually excites but as stated before, what are the chances we could actually get him and how many fans would actually accept him here after all his involvement with other teams, namely taking Liverpool to club successes. Say this - you could do far worse than bringing that name in