IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

Don't spoil a decent debate with sarcasm.

We both know if Martinez gets the job and he doesn't get off to a flyer, he'll be in your crosshair by Christmas, and hung drawn and quartered by spring.wink.png

Not at all, the reason being is that Martinez' footballing philosophy is that which the school of science was built - playing possession based attacking football.

Too much was made of the miracle job moyes was actually doing versus money spent - rather than looking at the players he actually acquired.

Got way too tired of the same conservative safety first 4-5-1 at home approach, players sitting back on 1-0 leads.

I appreciate what he did for us considering where we were, but both parties needed a change.

Moyes I feel will draw too many games at united for title winners.

Moyes took us as far as he could and we should thank him for that.

If anybody thinks a new manager, whoever it may be, can take us any further, they must be living in cuckoo land.

Like moyes himself at Man Utd, the only way we can go is down, i'll be happy if we get in the top 10 next year.

How are we expected to compete with Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, and liverpoo, they will spend Hundreds of millions on top Players, so we have no chance of going any further than we already have.

This

Without the finances have no chance of making that next step

With all this hype about Martinez Im surprised Tony Mowbary hasn't been mentioned as a possibility for manager , after all he also played attractive football all the way down to the Championship

Seems to be a lot of talk around Martinez. Either for or against. Everyone who is for Martinez are giving solid reasons, those against are giving some pretty sound reasons, but then either being contradicting themselves with their choice, or just not naming anyone to fit their ideal profile. BK said he would listen to the fans...glad I aint in his sweaty kegs just now!

One thing for sure...we aint got the coin to compete with Utd, City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal or indeed Kopshite. So maybe 6th/7th is our limit for now...lets concentrate in developing our youth properly, put a few extra quid into scouting, and lets not let any gooduns leave too soon...its a blueprint for the future that every club other than the 'top 6' have to think about.

Whoever comes in needs to have this mindset, rather than expect a pot of gold.

I know i'm repeating myself a lot here about Benitez but, blue glasses off, YES! Forget that he managed liverpool, forget that we all hate him for calling Everton a small club, forget his smug little face....Look at his credentials:

La Liga (twice), Uefa cup, Champions league, Uefa super cup, Fa Cup, supercoppa italiana, FIFA world club cup.

Everton are at a juncture where they are no longer looking to stay afloat, they are looking to move forward into the top 4/5 of the premier league and into Europe (hopefully with some rich dude coming in to give us the financial clout that's really needed). We need a manager with these sorts of credentials who knows how to win things. Out of the managers available, he is my choice - in spite of the Liverpool connections.

+ a 2nd UEFA cup now. wink.png

Edited by johnno

Fair play Johnno. My only thing with him is that he is used to having a wad of cash...when Liverpool cut his spending, thats when he started sulking n moaning.

His CV is great...but on our budget? Cant see it...I think he is gonna go to a Champions League team.

To manage our club I want the following:-

• a manager who can work the transfer market well, spot a lower priced player and get them performing at a strong premiership level
  • a manager who is tactically astute
  • a manager who will bring the youth talent through
  • a manager who knows how to beat top 4 teams
  • a manager who plays attractive attacking football
  • a manager who can get his team to defend well

For me that points to Martinez, Laudrup, Wenger, AVB, Benitez, and potentially some european managers who have yet to feature in the premier league.

Wenger is the best out of that lot - is he available? Not very likely. AVB is not likely as is Laudrup. That leaves Martinez or Rafa for me. Martinez's only issue for me is the defensive record - however I do think we can make allowances given he has had his key defenders out most of the season - but it is a concern. Other than that, he ticks all boxes.

To manage our club I want the following:-

• a manager who can work the transfer market well, spot a lower priced player and get them performing at a strong premiership level
  • a manager who is tactically astute
  • a manager who will bring the youth talent through
  • a manager who knows how to beat top 4 teams
  • a manager who plays attractive attacking football
  • a manager who can get his team to defend well

For me that points to Martinez, Laudrup, Wenger, AVB, Benitez, and potentially some european managers who have yet to feature in the premier league.

Wenger is the best out of that lot - is he available? Not very likely. AVB is not likely as is Laudrup. That leaves Martinez or Rafa for me. Martinez's only issue for me is the defensive record - however I do think we can make allowances given he has had his key defenders out most of the season - but it is a concern. Other than that, he ticks all boxes.

I reckon we should step up on the cloning process take a sample from Moyes and make a Moyes.Mk2.

In all seriousness we won't get a manager like that, them points describes David Moyes.

Kenwright knows what he is doing but unfortunately I think we will be going through a few managers in the next couples of years. if we get someone I want Kenwright to say we will give you a 2 year contract if you prove yourself you get an extension.

Or alternatively we will wait for Moyes to go on July 1st wait a couple of weeks and then bring a manager in just before the pre season.

I reckon we should step up on the cloning process take a sample from Moyes and make a Moyes.Mk2.

In all seriousness we won't get a manager like that, them points describes David Moyes.

Kenwright knows what he is doing but unfortunately I think we will be going through a few managers in the next couples of years. if we get someone I want Kenwright to say we will give you a 2 year contract if you prove yourself you get an extension.

Or alternatively we will wait for Moyes to go on July 1st wait a couple of weeks and then bring a manager in just before the pre season.

apart from:- Tactically astute, knows how to beat top 4 teams, attractive attacking football.

Moyes is - Plan A, (no plan B), Beats the top 4 by the odd chance at home, every now and then you see a team performance (West Ham) that makes you wonder why we often set up to hoof to fellaini.

Moyes is 80% perfect, i've said this before. The 20% will stop him becoming one of the greatest managers ever.

I still feel that Everton have played an attractive attacking football for at least 18 months. Its all been down to having the right players. DM has had them for a while now and adjusted his own tactics to suit more flair players. (Like Mirallas) I mean both Coleman and Baines are more a part of the attack these days. That's down to David Moyes.

I do agree on the 80% vs the 20% that's missing. We need someone else to take us to the next step. That's why i'm excited by this development. Still shit scared, but excited. You all know which managers are on my list so I wont bother mentioning them again. I do however understand those that would like to see a bigger name, such as Benitez.

What do I want in a manager ?

Firstly, and most importantly, I want a manager who knows how to keep us in the Premier League and everything after that is a bonus.

Forget looking at winning things, and European qualification. They are the prizes of the fortunate, and should only be pursued once we have established solid and safe foundations again. If

you turn your attention to the stars too soon, you will eventually stumble. Choose the right path, put on the right shoes, and ensure your guide knows where the dangers are and how to avoid them. Then, and only then, should we look up at all that heavenly glory.

Moyes took steps to ensure all the pitfalls were addressed, and as a result, we were able to relax, and turn our attention towards winning things, and in fairness, he came very close.

The last thing we need now is to hire a manager who has not made the journey to our required destination before. We are no longer a team struggling to survive, and fighting in the bottom half of the table every year. When we took on Moyes, it was a risk worth taking, as things couldn't have been much worse, and by the grace of God he proved to be a wonderful manager, who over time, created stability, improved the squad, regained respect from our peers, and showed us consistency year after year. It was no longer a case of being the plucky underdog who occasionally played well. We are firmly established as one of the finest sides in the league, and we are there because all the correct work was done, and done well.

Hiring a new manager should be about appointing somebody who can embrace the work already done, understand it, and improve upon it by incorporating their own experience of what is needed, and mixing it with the psychological strength to see it through, without bottling it. It should be a manager who is not in the slightest bit intimidated by our rivals, and one who is not going to be manipulated by our boardroom.

Yes, a young manager 'could' get lucky, but we need a guy who won't need to rely on luck, as he knows what he is doing. We have a team full of International players who will want to be inspired by a winner, and not somebody who has less experience than they do.

Anybody who thinks the only guys in the running for the job are low profile figures like Martinez, Laudrup, Lennon etc are probably a bit naive. This is now a high profile appointment, and with it will attract high profile applicants, and we probably won't get to know who the next manager is until all the European leagues are ended.

All I can say is that he won't be Kenny Dalglish or Alex Ferguson. happy.png

If we are "firmly established as one of the finest sides in the league" why do we need to only pursue success "...once we have established solid and safe foundations again."?

Foundations are already there....is the new manager going to take a sledgehammer to them so he can start from scratch again?

Because our foundations have just been severely tested and it's important to address them first before rebuilding.

We have at least 6 players in their 30's now. At least 2 or 3 players likely to be targeted by other clubs while our guard is down, and a squad who's loyalty to Everton was possibly derived from their loyalty to Moyes. We are in need of investment, not just to win things, but to be able to stay at the same level long term, so it's very likely that players will be sold. For a decade, we have been 'the best of the rest' and gradually started to mix it at the top with the bigger sides, but being one of the finest teams, and having our foundations in place are not the same thing. We can't expect success building on shaky ground, so a little groundwork is required before we start thinking about top 4.

If we are "firmly established as one of the finest sides in the league" why do we need to only pursue success "...once we have established solid and safe foundations again."?

Foundations are already there....is the new manager going to take a sledgehammer to them so he can start from scratch again?

This

Tim Howard - 34

Tony Hibbert - 32

Phil Jagielka - 30 (will be 31 in Aug)

Sylvain Distin - 35

Phil Nev - 35 (going)

Thomas Hitz - 31 (probably going)

Leon Osman - 32 - (Birthday tomorrow)

Steven Pienaar - 31

With the exception of Hitz, these are first eleven players, so yes, the new manager will have a bit of a headache. We need to stop looking at our situation as 'present and start looking at it as 'future'.

Because our foundations have just been severely tested and it's important to address them first before rebuilding.

We have at least 6 players in their 30's now. At least 2 or 3 players likely to be targeted by other clubs while our guard is down, and a squad who's loyalty to Everton was possibly derived from their loyalty to Moyes. We are in need of investment, not just to win things, but to be able to stay at the same level long term, so it's very likely that players will be sold. For a decade, we have been 'the best of the rest' and gradually started to mix it at the top with the bigger sides, but being one of the finest teams, and having our foundations in place are not the same thing. We can't expect success building on shaky ground, so a little groundwork is required before we start thinking about top 4.

Name one first squad player. (starting 11 plus bench) that is too old to compete next year. The foundation is there Avin. The only player at risk in my opinion is Fellaini, and we already knew about that. Possibly Baines but then again when has Baines NOT been a target for other clubs in the past 3 years?

I would say that we have the exact opposite of a shaky foundation. We have a stable foundation. Even if Fellaini and Baines leave us. Sure it would hurt us, but we have Oviedo to cover for Baines short term. It wont be easy to replace Fellaini, not with our current squad. We need to look elsewhere for a replacement, but with at least 23 mil from Fellaini and with the new TV-Money we now have the funds to compete for top players in that position. Or buy a very good midfielder and perhaps a couple of other players.

The new manager, who ever it is, is taking over a club in great shape and is able to compete for european places next season. Regardless of Fellainis whereabouts.

Tim Howard - 34 - One name, Peter Shilton

Tony Hibbert - 32 - Not competing for a place, Coleman and Stones

Phil Jagielka - 30 (will be 31 in Aug) - Still going strong, will do so next season to

Sylvain Distin - 35 - Have you seen him run this season? The man is exceptionally fit

Phil Nev - 35 (going) - Good riddance

Thomas Hitz - 31 (probably going) - Featured how many times this season?

Leon Osman - 32 - (Birthday tomorrow) - And selected for the national team for the first time this season.

Steven Pienaar - 31 - Still going strong. Been a bit shaky the past few months but still looks able to compete.

With the exception of Hitz, these are first eleven players, so yes, the new manager will have a bit of a headache. We need to stop looking at our situation as 'present and start looking at it as 'future'.

Tim Howard - 34 Shown his age a few times this season, Mucha won't sign a new contract in the summer so we need to be looking at a new goalkeeper.

Tony Hibbert - 32 Barely played for a season, would struggle under a Martinez style system imo. Im not sure what the future is for Hibbo tbh.

Phil Jagielka - 30 (will be 31 in Aug) Still a decent player, but we should be looking for a younger model.

Sylvain Distin - 35 See Jagielka.

Phil Nev - 35 (going) Great captain and leader of the team, but sadly a very average player.

Thomas Hitz - 31 (probably going) If fit, then has something to offer from the bench imo.

Leon Osman - 32 - (Birthday tomorrow) He just lacks that consistency to be top bastard on the pitch, think it's time we look to replace imo

Steven Pienaar - 31 If an offer comes in, id like us to take it tbh. His partnership with Baines has been completely sussed out by the other teams this year.

Some brilliant posts goin on there!!!

Just to clarify, as I was quoted earlier, I aint in the gang who think the only way is down.. No way! The reason I talk about the money is that those teams can add adequate depth to their squad with ease, we cant. And that, over a season, makes a difference.

However, I think it was PeterH, reminded me that actually, when you think about it, had Jelavic beenon form, alot of draws would have been wins and we would be in a CL place for sure.

No doubt, our starting 11 is real strong.

The age thing isnt a problem...I think the days when players struggle as soon as they hit 30 are gone. Distin is a prime example, 35...ripped up and still got great pace.

Being over the hump that is 30 isn't what it used to be, and especially not for GKs.

Hibbo is no longer the starting RB anyway, nor should he be.

Neville needed to get off the field.

Distin is a physical freak of nature.

Jags is still legit. (United won the league with Rio (34))

Hitz? Come on now, the dude has rarely played.

Osman is still inconsistent as he has always been but has gotten better each year.

Pienaar is the most I'm worried about since he plays on the wing for us. I'd prefer to pick up some more pace and maybe play Peanuts in the middle.

And from the looks of it, we have a strong young side coming up too with Duffy, Barkley, McAlney, Stones, and Kennedy. The tools are there. With the potential Fellaini sale, we'll have some funds to fill some holes.

The future is bright.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Analogy:- Moyes came into a house in disrepair with the landlord unprepaired to spend any money in helping him get it right. Moyes got his hands dirty, he turned over the garden, laid some seeds, does regular weeding. He painted, he rewired the electrics - and despite neighbours getting new bathrooms and kitchens, moyes refurbished his at a fraction of the cost.

Moyes has now got a mansion to move into (he needs to worry about spending money now - is he gonna buy quality or overpriced tatt), his old landlord is left with a pretty desirable house that many would like to live in but he doesn't want to spend the money on the mod cons any new tennants will want. Is the new tennant gonna trash it??? It will take him time to do it cos Moyesy was quite a steady craftsman and there is some strong robsut stuff there, however the potential is there that the next tennant is an interior designer - he could turn this house into a show home on pennies...