IGNORED

January

Romey 1878

Regarding Deulofeu he was getting better with every game right up until he got injured and after that he was pretty shocking.

If you look at his stats from this season they are nothing special (10 games, 9 chances created and 1 goal) and if you compare his stats with us last season (25 games, 9 chances & 3 goals) to McGeady's this season (11 games, 11 chances & 1 goal) then the latter has had more or an impact and the only area he is weaker in is his shot accuracy.

Reading up on Deulofeu's current spell at Sevilla he still doesnt sound like he is really firing, he isnt helping out with his defensive duties and when he does start tracking back he is tiring quickly.

He has all the talent in the world but Im not sure he has the head on his shoulders to make the most of it.

Regarding Deulofeu he was getting better with every game right up until he got injured and after that he was pretty shocking.

If you look at his stats from this season they are nothing special (10 games, 9 chances created and 1 goal) and if you compare his stats with us last season (25 games, 9 chances & 3 goals) to McGeady's this season (11 games, 11 chances & 1 goal) then the latter has had more or an impact and the only area he is weaker in is his shot accuracy.

Reading up on Deulofeu's current spell at Sevilla he still doesnt sound like he is really firing, he isnt helping out with his defensive duties and when he does start tracking back he is tiring quickly.

He has all the talent in the world but Im not sure he has the head on his shoulders to make the most of it.

Of those games how many did he start? That's a key fact in those stats.

Even though the stats don't look that way. Deulofeu was a much better player last season than McGeady has ever been here. Completely underrated is the lad. A constant direct threat!

Of those games how many did he start? That's a key fact in those stats.

Even though the stats don't look that way. Deulofeu was a much better player last season than McGeady has ever been here. Completely underrated is the lad. A constant direct threat!

Same as McGeady pretty much. Not starting many on the whole but there is a big reason for that.

Im not doubting Deulofeu is a better player but he shone in probably one or two games last season, was average for a couple more and pretty crap for the the rest. McGeady never really shines but is average for a dozen and crap for the rest.

If Mcgeady and Deulofeu swapped nationality and ages I bet a lot of opinions would change.

I know where Bailey is coming from. When McGeady was the same age as Deulofeu he was seen as a a special talent. Flair, goals, assists - all the things that make people go a little bit OTT like they do about Sterling right now and Deulofeu.

They hype subsides a little and what is usually left is the player they have always been but with a little less "spark".

Its all about who they are and what they represent... If Deulofeu was the player that did they take on and cross for Naimsiths goal vs QPR then everyone would have been going on about the quality...

I like Deulofeu and players that take others on but I do not get the gulf in opinion between the likes of Mirallas, Deulofeu and McGeady, they are all very similar beasts, can frustrate and exzcite in equal measure.

I know where Bailey is coming from. When McGeady was the same age as Deulofeu he was seen as a a special talent. Flair, goals, assists - all the things that make people go a little bit OTT like they do about Sterling right now and Deulofeu.

They hype subsides a little and what is usually left is the player they have always been but with a little less "spark".

Its all about who they are and what they represent... If Deulofeu was the player that did they take on and cross for Naimsiths goal vs QPR then everyone would have been going on about the quality...

I like Deulofeu and players that take others on but I do not get the gulf in opinion between the likes of Mirallas, Deulofeu and McGeady, they are all very similar beasts, can frustrate and exzcite in equal measure.

Another Mirallas bash! He's on a whole other level to McGeady.

Another Mirallas bash! He's on a whole other level to McGeady.

Another Mirallas bash or making Mirallas not sound like he is Cristiano Ronaldo which usually riles you more than telling a 14 year old One Direction fan that Harry Styles can't sing.

Mirallas is a better player than McGeady - doesn't mean they aren't similar beasts.... read the posts and stop getting so trigger happy on your iphone with Kevin Mirallas case

Agree with you often Bailey but not on that.

Nationality is totally irrelevant, age slightly less so. Gerard is on a different planet than Aiden.

Not disagreeing that he isn't but my point is more along the lines of if Gerry was 27 (or whatever Aided is) and Irish would people be so excited about him? Likewise if McGeady was Spanish and 17 would we all be so negative about him?

You would expect the younger player to have some improvement in him but given they are both fairly brainless I don't think the improvement would be that great.

Edited by Bailey

Not disagreeing that he isn't but my point is more along the lines of if Gerry was 27 (or whatever Aided is) and Irish would people be so excited about him? Likewise if McGeady was Spanish and 17 would we all be so negative about him?

You would expect the younger player to have some improvement in him but given they are both fairly brainless I don't think the improvement would be that great.

I think what you see with wingers like McGeady, Deulofeu, and the likes of Sterling, Lennon, Wright Phillips - is that in their initial years they are so enjoyable to watch - like watching a raw kid go and stick it to season cloggers who can't catch them or stop them.

Case being Ryan Giggs - I personally thought his first few years were by far and away his best, he supposedly became a better player as he got older but what I seen was a "percentage play" element which was pity. What happens is they get sussed to an extent, certain dribbles get worked out and they have to adapt their game.

I dont think it's a nationality thing more a club thing.... He's a product of Barcelona youth, 99% of the players that come out of there turnout to be better than average. Edited by MC11

I think if either was 17 and a good prospect we'd be as excited about both just the same. Nationality isn't an issue. Look at Giggs.

Duelefau (sp) will be 3 times the player Mcgeady ever will be.

My mate who I work with is a Celtic fan , when I asked him when he was rumoured to sign he called him Mr Stepover and a one trick pony. So far I've not seen anything to prove him wrong.

I think if either was 17 and a good prospect we'd be as excited about both just the same. Nationality isn't an issue. Look at Giggs.

Duelefau (sp) will be 3 times the player Mcgeady ever will be.

My mate who I work with is a Celtic fan , when I asked him when he was rumoured to sign he called him Mr Stepover and a one trick pony. So far I've not seen anything to prove him wrong.

It's interesting hearing the varied opinions, many Celtic fans don't like him because he plays for Ireland and some who took sides with strachan when he and Mcgeady fell out.

Personally I don't think tricks matter, it's the ability to put the defenders on wrong foot and use burst of pace to go past the man. That's all Coleman does when he's on his game.

I think Gerry was overrated to he honest. He had a couple of games where he looked really good...Not world class, just really good. Other than that he was either average or invisible.

I can see where the Gerry, aided comparisons are coming from. Though I would say Gerry had lightning pace but no cross at the end, while Aiden is still nippy but nowhere near the same pace, but can cross much better.

I think Gerry was overrated to he honest. He had a couple of games where he looked really good...Not world class, just really good. Other than that he was either average or invisible.

I can see where the Gerry, aided comparisons are coming from. Though I would say Gerry had lightning pace but no cross at the end, while Aiden is still nippy but nowhere near the same pace, but can cross much better.

Completely agree. I never understood the Deulofeu fascination. Yea he runs at defenders and he's flashy but he was often too selfish and lazy to have an impact. I think his Sevilla stint on the bench showcases that. Everyone gets enamored with raw talent, sports is a results business. All 11 guys on the field have a different responsibility to the team and Deulofeu often left his unfulfilled.

• 2 weeks later...

I've said since the summer that we need extra wingers but now I actually think that wingers aren't going to make a jot of difference unless we sort the back-line out. A defender who can lead our defence is a must - I want Kjaer. Brilliant against us in Europa at Lille and shouldn't be too expensive. He'd be cup-tied for Europa but that's not been the problem; we need him for the league. We need a keeper too - maybe just a short fix until the summer, I'd seriously look at Schwartzer, in dream world Cech, but that's just unrealistic. We need someone who is going to command and lead as that is not evident.

We do need wingers/creativity but that's irrelevant if we continue to ship so many. I don't expect us to go out and sign 4 or 5 players (although we should) so if it's only 2 then these are the areas in my opinion.

I've said since the summer that we need extra wingers but now I actually think that wingers aren't going to make a jot of difference unless we sort the back-line out. A defender who can lead our defence is a must - I want Kjaer. Brilliant against us in Europa at Lille and shouldn't be too expensive. He'd be cup-tied for Europa but that's not been the problem; we need him for the league. We need a keeper too - maybe just a short fix until the summer, I'd seriously look at Schwartzer, in dream world Cech, but that's just unrealistic. We need someone who is going to command and lead as that is not evident.

We do need wingers/creativity but that's irrelevant if we continue to ship so many. I don't expect us to go out and sign 4 or 5 players (although we should) so if it's only 2 then these are the areas in my opinion.

Yes yes yes to Kjaer he is exactly what we need. He's solid! Looking at £10-£15m though.

After all the money we spent this summer and the results we are currently having I doubt there will be anything more than a loan or 2. In my dream world we would sell Howard, pienaar, gibson, Atsu goes back. Might free up enough cash for a keeper and a winger, then loan a cb and another winger.

But that's pie in the sky, I doubt much will happen.

Would like to go after Nastasic or another Centerback on loan. Too bad Vlaar would cost a tad too much I reckon and is being chased by bigger clubs. Wouldn't mind taking a punt at loaning Vorm or Cech, but I don't know if their parent clubs would allow them to leave. We also need someone for the wing, as McGeady has no brain and Atsu is both oft-injured and not up to our level (though "our level" is quickly sinking to his, I suppose). I think we have to not do anything too drastic, not make any rash decisions, and find proper stopgaps who can get us through this awful season and possibly fire us to a top half finish if we can heal up injury-wise and improve in form. Nothing good is going to come of this season, let's get through it and try to rebuild in the summer.

Edited by Quinn31

Cech won't happen. Schwarzer has apparently just signed with Leicester, Jose won't have a sub keeper that isn't established.

If the papers and Twitter-hype are to believed this window we'll be losing McCarthy to Spurs, Coleman to United, Atsu to ACoN and signing Al-Habsi.

Might have to get an early bird special on Setanta Sports for next season to watch Championship matches. :rofl:

If we're going to get a keeper in we might as well do it properly. I agree Cech looks far fetched but I'd rather Marshall any day over Westwood.

It's quite clear we're not going to do it properly though; Howard is going to come straight back in after his injury and be our number one until that new contract runs out. And, lets be honest, we haven't got the money to do it properly right now.

Kjaer looked good in France but we gave him the run around a little over here. I think he is probably the perfect player in a defensive formation (which is how Lille play) but I suspect he might get caught out a little more in an attacking side when he will be exposed more often.