IGNORED

Leighton Baines

He can't attack to save his life and he was getting punished regularly defensively towards the end of his spell in the starting 11.

disagree. He's a kid who was thrown into the Premier League. He made a huuuuge step up and performed incredibly well.

disagree. He's a kid who was thrown into the Premier League. He made a huuuuge step up and performed incredibly well.

Being a kid who was thrown in doesn't mean he didn't get punished and could attack. He was and he couldn't.

Not slating him because it was a baptism of fire, but I was more than happy for him to be taken out of the firing line.

Edited by Romey 1878

• 4 months later...

No way should he be getting a long-term deal. Once it's approaching his 2018 renewal time he should get a 1 or 2 year deal if he's still performing to a decent standard IMO.

i agree, i love baines he's one of my favorites but he needs a strong season this year to convince me we shouldn't look elswhere for the future.

When fit he can make the team tick. His passing and crossing is a joy to behold. Getting on a bit now but I fully expect him to age like a fine wine!

I bet he's also happy to link up with a real winger this season coming as well, as I assume there is no more playing CM's on the wing.

When fit he can make the team tick. His passing and crossing is a joy to behold. Getting on a bit now but I fully expect him to age like a fine wine!

I bet he's also happy to link up with a real winger this season coming as well, as I assume there is no more playing CM's on the wing.

Good summation, not sure if he will last too much longer but in the end he has a great footballing brain, lots of experience and maybe we are looking at a future manager?

Good summation, not sure if he will last too much longer but in the end he has a great footballing brain, lots of experience and maybe we are looking at a future manager?

No, he plays football because it's what he's good at, he has no love for the game/what surrounds it and I'd be very surprised if he continues beyond his playing career.

He's got enough money in the bank to never need to work again, envy the lad.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you've watched us recently, Oviedo can't defend or attack or link. Even an average baines would transform our side

We concede less down the left when Oviedo plays. Baines loses his position a lot and gets caught in the middle whenever the opposition play triangles around him.

Not sure if you've watched us recently, Oviedo can't defend or attack or link. Even an average baines would transform our side

Being a season ticket holder I have watched us a lot, yeah. Baines wasn't exactly stellar when he played this season, I'll be surprised if we look any different if and when he returns. We're missing pace and creativity through the middle, not an ageing left-back on the wane.

Being a season ticket holder I have watched us a lot, yeah. Baines wasn't exactly stellar when he played this season, I'll be surprised if we look any different if and when he returns. We're missing pace and creativity through the middle, not an ageing left-back on the wane.

I agree to an extent, but Baines offers a different type of creativity. His ability to overlap (even if he's a bit slower) is still massively missed, and his ability to cut inside or pass inside is also missed

I agree to an extent, but Baines offers a different type of creativity. His ability to overlap (even if he's a bit slower) is still massively missed, and his ability to cut inside or pass inside is also missed

In Koeman's system our full-backs aren't used in that way though are they? Oviedo has said he's had to curb his attacking instincts to fit in in a Koeman side. It's not like Baines is a good defender either, so that isn't going to improve with him playing. So I really don't see him making that much of a difference if he comes in for Oviedo.

In Koeman's system our full-backs aren't used in that way though are they? Oviedo has said he's had to curb his attacking instincts to fit in in a Koeman side. It's not like Baines is a good defender either, so that isn't going to improve with him playing. So I really don't see him making that much of a difference if he comes in for Oviedo.

I see a vastly more intelligent player than Oviedo, and someone the back 4 respect immensely.

Plus, he could cover for Gana in the DCM role :P

No doubting either of those things, but they're not going to be this magic fix.

No, he couldn't. Stop winding me up :shaking fist: .

Don't think anyone is saying it will be a magic fix, but would certainly be an improvement

And winding you up is one of the reasons I've been coming back all these years :P