IGNORED

Leighton Baines

• 3 months later...

10 years we've had the pleasure of Baines at Everton now. Surely he'll go down as one of our best pound for pound signings - £5.5m is an absolute steal and I am so glad that we got in there once we knew Sunderland had agreed a fee and made him ours.

And this is one of my favourite Baines moments

https://twitter.com/efcfanscorner/status/894494254055215105

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another balls up that we didn't get a young LB in. That talk of just simply looking for a left-footed CB that could fill in at LB pissed me off no end.

It's not fair that we're going to be asking him to play every week, particularly if ask him to play wing-back with any regularity. The longer the season goes on the worse he'll look, and it's not right to do that to someone like Baines. He doesn't deserve that.

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

hurts me a little to say it because baines has been one of my favorites for a while now but his level has dropped pretty drastically.  if i was koeman/walsh i'd be in for a young LB or 2 in January and fast.  is garbutt that bad now?

Been saying it for months now. Rooney waited for him to overlap on three occasions on the left and he shit out. He's petrified of us losing possession... Then and only then will you see how exposed he is as a player.

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

Gets the ball in space on the wing, instead of moving forward or looking for a forward pass, he stands motionless and inevitably passes it backwards.

Not the player he was, and he will need replacing very soon.

yep this is exactly what i see as well.  does fine defensively, but going forward he shows little effort.

On 9/18/2017 at 03:09, Bailey said:

I think he has been solid in every game we have played. Bigger problems than Baines imo 

exactly.  everyone gets older, loses pace, and needs replacing but is anyone watching our other players (or our tactics/lineups) at the moment? ha. 

fingers crossed it gets sorted soon with an easier run of fixtures on the horizon.

• 1 month later...

Mentioned it above.  He is just getting older.  Blaming someone for that is like crying about water being wet.  Getting way to much stick this season in my opinion.  Not his fault that here is no cover / competition.  Not his fault players in front of him provide no help or link up.  Instead he helped us get points and set a record in our last game.

True blue.

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Sadly it took me dropping him from my fantasy team last week for him to achieve this:dry:.

Ahh that explains it. I thought it was me refusing to wear this seasons top on Saturday and reverting back to an older one.

hmm now a conundrum, do I wear it against Palace or not?

• 3 weeks later...