IGNORED

Leighton Baines

1 hour ago, nyblue23 said:

To be fair, Richarlison actually played defense yesterday. Still don’t feel good about it, but he did put in quite the display against Wolves in the first match of the season on both sides of the ball.

First couple of months they all defended from the front, but we’ve seen very little of that for a while. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He's going to be offered a one year deal, apparently.

Not a surprise.

Happy with that. Nobody in the squad can cover Digne anyway unless we put Kenny there, and I'm not a big fan of playing inverted fullbacks.

Baines is well past his prime, but it gives us a window to assess the youth and look at targets to bring in for Digne's cover.

I'd say Baines is still better than most LB's starting in teams below us in the PL - and he's certainly better than 90% of the cover they have for LB.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

I've been sentimental over many players during my many years as a blue but we have to move on. If he can play rather than sit on our bench surely we owe him that?

It’s not sentimental, it’s influential. Massive difference. 

If either of them want to go then fair enough, but I doubt they do. 

10 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

I've been sentimental over many players during my many years as a blue but we have to move on. If he can play rather than sit on our bench surely we owe him that?

I think at their age, they can’t play week in week out, so are happy to stay at a club where they can influence and help others.

• 2 weeks later...

Although some papers reported about 10 days ago that Silva was “ready” to extend Baines’s contract for a year, we’ve seen no announcement yet from the club to confirm that.  And now the Guardian’s Everton scribe uses the phrase “If Baines has a future” at Everton.....

Just waiting for the season to end, I guess.  Baines can still play EPL-level football, and finding an alternate LB replacement surely can’t be a priority this summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/06/premier-league-talking-points-weekend-action

26 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Although some papers reported about 10 days ago that Silva was “ready” to extend Baines’s contract for a year, we’ve seen no announcement yet from the club to confirm that.  And now the Guardian’s Everton scribe uses the phrase “If Baines has a future” at Everton.....

Just waiting for the season to end, I guess.  Baines can still play EPL-level football, and finding an alternate LB replacement surely can’t be a priority this summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/06/premier-league-talking-points-weekend-action

Got no problem with Baines as cover for Digne for another year. We need better quality in other areas of the field as a priority. 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Got no problem with Baines as cover for Digne for another year. We need better quality in other areas of the field as a priority. 

I’d be happy to give Baines two years, while he’s not playing every week he isn’t running his body into the ground. As you said Aidan, other areas need to be the priority. 

His legs are gone unfortunately, he looked shattered in a few games around the 70 minute mark. If Digne was injured for a few games we'd need to change tactics to accommodate Baines as he can't get up and overlap as often any more. Easily done by moving a more selfish player like Richarlison back to the left as he doesn't require the support from the left back to get the best out of him.

I'd prefer Kenny to play out of position over Baines. So if he stays I hope it's as third choice and his main role would be in training as a role model to the other lads. 

4 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Plus it would allow Antonee Robinson to go out on loan again in search of more minutes which he needs whereas Baines' legs could probably do with less.

How has he done at Wigan this year? I worry about any player who’s into his 20’s and we aren’t hearing a lot about him. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

I don’t think Baines would want to sign knowing he wouldn’t get playing time, if he’s not ready to hang his boots up I believe he will leave for where he has a chance of first team football. 

he doesn't love football, he's been open about that, it's a job for him.  he loves music.  i don't see him going to MLS or anything.  i could see him doing another year or 2 and collecting a fat check to essentially wind down and retire.  Why uproot his family?

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

he doesn't love football, he's been open about that, it's a job for him.  he loves music.  i don't see him going to MLS or anything.  i could see him doing another year or 2 and collecting a fat check to essentially wind down and retire.  Why uproot his family?

Because I don’t think he’s the sort of person who would be happy to do all the training and just sit on the bench if he thought he had something to offer someone, and it’s not as if he needs the money I think he’s got more class about him than just the money. 

Were both probably be wrong and he will retire but not long to find out. 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Because I don’t think he’s the sort of person who would be happy to do all the training and just sit on the bench if he thought he had something to offer someone, and it’s not as if he needs the money I think he’s got more class about him than just the money. 

Were both probably be wrong and he will retire but not long to find out. 

i could totally see that happening as well

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

This. Plus, even if he knows that he would be a backup wouldn't mean he slack off just collecting money. His lack of love for football doesn't bother me, it's his professionalism (like Jags) that we need to keep and that which means he'd always be ready to go if needed

19 hours ago, StevO said:

How has he done at Wigan this year? I worry about any player who’s into his 20’s and we aren’t hearing a lot about him. 

I would say the loan was a success. Only picked up 1 assist  compared to the 5 he got at Bolton the year before BUT he was injured this season and missed 20 games.  When he did play he always got the full 90 (and i do mean every game which is not something that happens to most of our loans). Made it into the Championship team of the week once or twice.  Also in 2018 he picked up 6 games for the USA men's national team. After he recovered from his injury (march this year) he is now back with the USA u23 squad though.  We might hear more about him on this side of the pond because his assist provided the winner for the USA vs Mexico game back in September.

As mentioned above, I would say he needs another loan.

1 minute ago, plaidharper said:

I would say the loan was a success. Only picked up 1 assist  compared to the 5 he got at Bolton the year before BUT he was injured this season and missed 20 games.  When he did play he always got the full 90 (and i do mean every game which is not something that happens to most of our loans). Made it into the Championship team of the week once or twice.  Also in 2018 he picked up 6 games for the USA men's national team. After he recovered from his injury (march this year) he is now back with the USA u23 squad though.  We might hear more about him on this side of the pond because his assist provided the winner for the USA vs Mexico game back in September.

As mentioned above, I would say he needs another loan.

All that said though, really hoping he does not turn into Luke Garbutt 2.0

I would say that Antonee is already a better crosser and more likely to create chances than Luke ever was/did.

3 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

I would say that Antonee is already a better crosser and more likely to create chances than Luke ever was/did.

He definitely has more pace as well. Not really sure where he is at the moment in his development. I agree another loan is ideal, maybe to a lower PL side, if Baines stays. 

4 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Thanks for the info. One thing I rated Garbutt on was his crossing (great dead ball too), so that’s good to hear from this lad.