IGNORED

John Stones

We'd be absolutely nuts to agree to a release clause that low.

I don't think they ever did bid £38m, Haf, there was never a fourth bid according to Martinez.

It was reported but I think that one may have been a "ooh lets see how people react to that"

Ultimately his value in the summer will possibly come down to Tywoyasauwus Wex and if he decides to throw yard dog Smalling in the team.

Regardless of that my position on the lad is that he will be an england great and worth £80m plus in a few years - thats when Real will come knocking.

To me whether £38m was bid or not isn't too important. At the moment Stones is contracted to us for another 4 years at £30k per week. At the moment we can keep him for 4years and sell completely on our own terms. Great!

If Stones (and probably more his agent) want to renegotiate the deal for higher wages and to set some "buy-out" conditions for European Football etc. then this is a negotiation where BOTH parties get something out of it. Ultimately Stones and his agent want more money. The contract was only signed last season and Stone's isn't struggling for first team or International football time so money has to be the main motivation for the new contract. If the main motivation is not money and is to negotiate a "way out" for Stones on Stones and his agent's terms, there is obviously absolutely reason to have any re-negotiation or discussion. Not going to happen.

If it about wages then in return we get:

-1) extended Term of Contract given his youth and this makes him harder to poach.

-2)massive buy-out clause that is at a significant premium to the £38m odd. I would suggest in the region of £50m. We continue to set the standard that if you want an Everton talent you are going t pay well over the odds for it. Full Stop. This is non-negotiable if a new contract is wanted by Stones

- 3) large loyalty bonus to incentivise Stones to stay with us throughout the full term of the contract and to

2) is non-negotiable, but 1) and 3) should be directly linked to the amount of wage increase. The more money per week and outside the Everton Wage Scale, the more draconian we are about 1 and 3. You want £100k a week. No problem. That will be 8 year contract with no buyout clause then.

Phil McNulty...

"The failure to land Stones was put into even sharper relief by the youngster's superb performance in front of Mourinho at Goodison Park.

Mature and level-headed enough to put the speculation behind him, Stones delivered the sort of Rolls Royce display that made Chelsea so keen to secure him.

Stones showed the sort of assurance, class, pace and reliability that is just what Chelsea's rocking rearguard needs right now."

Phil McNulty...

"The failure to land Stones was put into even sharper relief by the youngster's superb performance in front of Mourinho at Goodison Park.

Mature and level-headed enough to put the speculation behind him, Stones delivered the sort of Rolls Royce display that made Chelsea so keen to secure him.

Stones showed the sort of assurance, class, pace and reliability that is just what Chelsea's rocking rearguard needs right now."

I imagine Jose texted abramhomich after the match "now you know why I told you not to be cheap about it, pay them whatever they want for him"

Upped his value a cool 10m after that match :)

I thought he did everything right on Saturday. From being the first player to run over to the Gwladys before kick off, the last man off the pitch clapping all of the fans, and looking as happy as ever when that third goal went in. He could easily have crumbled, the worlds press were watching him, it was big pressure. He just took it like a Sunday league match. The lad is exceptional.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/2612699/real-madrid-to-join-hunt-for-john-stones-if-varane-leaves

this is what i was saying all along. Real madrid now want stones if Varane leaves this summer (which seems likely). Better to sell internationally to get the highest fee and we wouldn't have to face him 2 times a year.

this is playing out exactly as it should. F off Chelsea.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/transfer-talk/79/post/2612699/real-madrid-to-join-hunt-for-john-stones-if-varane-leaves

this is what i was saying all along. Real madrid now want stones if Varane leaves this summer (which seems likely). Better to sell internationally to get the highest fee and we wouldn't have to face him 2 times a year.

this is playing out exactly as it should. F off Chelsea.

Nope. The way it should be playing out is that Everton win a Champions League birth this season, John Stones has no reason to leave, and we sign players from Real Madrid. They must be young players, mind, because we're building a legacy, a team that will stay together for the best part of a decade.

Nope. The way it should be playing out is that Everton win a Champions League birth this season, John Stones has no reason to leave, and we sign players from Real Madrid. They must be young players, mind, because we're building a legacy, a team that will stay together for the best part of a decade.

As much as I love Everton we aren't going to be in any position to pay players £120k a week. So there is no chance.

nice dream mate, here's hoping!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to be honest.

Because England have already qualified and are assured winning their group, his withdrawal has virtually no drawbacks. As Euro 2016 doesn't begin until next June, there's plenty of time for all center half candidates to make their case for starting.

I suppose one could claim that this is a missed opportunity for Hodgson to see which CH pairs work best with each other, but I don't see a clear cut decision on that as likely to be made so far in advance. More important is for Jagielka and Stones to lead Everton to a great season, which would surely tempt Hodgson to pair them up as first choice next summer in France.