IGNORED

Now Martinez has gone, who should get the nod...

Lowensda

So I've been mocked for dropping the name Hein Vanhaezebrouck as a bit of an experimental idea... And you guys actually welcome the idea of Frank De Boer? Pardon me, but as your private correspondent from the lowlands: Frank doesn't show the same combination of drilling the foundations of footballing into his players along with genius tactical interferences. Frank is 'allright" to Dutch competition standards, but EFC needs better than that. And at this point, EFC need a trainer that can bring those two elements to the club. Now don't distill from this comment that I am pushing Hein forward again, I'm just warning you: Frank is a big no no in my book.

Don't be distracted by his 4 titles in 6 years, that's normal for Ajax, but consider this: When he started, Ajax was a team with players like Toby Alderweireld, Gregory Van Der Wiel, Jan Vertonghen, Luis Suarez, Daley Blind, and Christian Eriksen. Now they don't have that quality of players anymore, so it's no coincidence that Ajax didn't grab the title this season and the past, coming in second to PSV that didin't even have Memphis Depay anymore.

The appointing of trainers in top football is a bloody farce. I can't even be arsed anymore, it's all about connections, lobbying and negociating power, has little to do anymore with true giftedness

Edited by Mirallas

So I've been mocked for dropping the name Hein Vanhaezebrouck as a bit of an experimental idea... And you guys actually welcome the idea of Frank De Boer? Pardon me, but as your private correspondent from the lowlands: Frank doesn't show the same combination of drilling the foundations of footballing into his players along with genius tactical interferences. Frank is 'allright" to Dutch competition standards, but EFC needs better than that. And at this point, EFC need a trainer that can bring those two elements to the club. Now don't distill from this comment that I am pushing Hein forward again, I'm just warning you: Frank is a big no no in my book.

Don't be distracted by his 4 titles in 6 years, that's normal for Ajax, but consider this: When he started, Ajax was a team with players like Toby Alderweireld, Gregory Van Der Wiel, Jan Vertonghen, Luis Suarez, Daley Blind, and Christian Eriksen. Now they don't have that quality of players anymore, so it's no coincidence that Ajax didn't grab the title this season and the past, coming in second to PSV that didin't even have Memphis Depay anymore.

The appointing of trainers in top football is a bloody farce. I can't even be arsed anymore, it's all about connections, lobbying and negociating power, has little to do anymore with true giftedness

My stance on it is "Martinez isn't the man, get a name that players respect- can attract talent to thd club and let's see how he does. If he fails then get rid and go again"

Your named manager may be a decent coach but in all honesty we have seen first hand how much players need to respect the thd manager. Does he have appeal to the transfer targets? Will players respect his achievements? Nope.

De boer may be the wrong man... if that's the case you get rid. Till then he ticks 2 boxes that your suggestion doesn't.

Frank doesn't show the same combination of drilling the foundations of footballing into his players along with genius tactical interferences. Frank is 'allright" to Dutch competition standards, but EFC needs better than that. And at this point, EFC need a trainer that can bring those two elements to the club.

From what I've gathered of his style of play, this (his lack of "drilling the foundations") is what worries me. I think what we need is a Simeone-like ethic and emphasis on collective team structure, strategy and tactics over individuality. But, he seems to play a more structured game than Martinez. His teams will press (though they don't always) and he has a defensive system. I like that, although his teams play with possession, they play north-south: not a bunch of aimless sideways passing. I like that he uses quick wingers (and actually puts two of them on the pitch) as outlets and has them transition the team quickly out of defense. He also seems to not be rigid in his style. Going more direct against weaker opposition who park the bus, for instance. These are mostly things that will make me happy. He could do well, after all.

From what I've gathered of his style of play, this (his lack of "drilling the foundations") is what worries me. I think what we need is a Simeone-like ethic and emphasis on collective team structure, strategy and tactics over individuality. But, he seems to play a more structured game than Martinez. His teams will press (though they don't always) and he has a defensive system. I like that, although his teams play with possession, they play north-south: not a bunch of aimless sideways passing. I like that he uses quick wingers (and actually puts two of them on the pitch) as outlets and has them transition the team quickly out of defense. He also seems to not be rigid in his style. Going more direct against weaker opposition who park the bus, for instance. These are mostly things that will make me happy. He could do well, after all.

He's also conceded 21 goals in 34 league games this season, 11 less than the winners who conceded the second least amount.

I never thought defending would excite me.

Edited by AidanLewis

He's also conceded 21 goals in 34 league games this season, 11 less than the winners who conceded the second least amount.

I never thought defending would excite me.

Exactly why he still ticks the "still exciting and certainly better than the shite we have" box for me.

Also, I think his style of play fits with the squad we have already. Less of an overhaul needed for de Boer than for some other names touted.

I'd be very happy with De Boer along with Stam and Bergkamp (if they came with him)

All big names in the football world all regarded as top/world class in their day and two of the three know the league and what it takes over here

Stam was one of the best this league's seen his influence over the likes of Stones and some of the other younger lads could be immense for their development and the same for Ross Rom etc with Bergkamp along with (albeit a bit of a risk) a manager that's very well revered and regarded

The more I think about it the more it makes sense, as a package they could be ideal for us

Just the other day I've watched an interesting piece by Aad De Mos and Taco Van De Velde, comparing Frank De Boer and Philip Cocu (PSV) as trainers. It does draw out nicely what style of manager De Boer is. The source is in Dutch, so I'll translate the more interesting excerpts. Source: http://www.vi.nl/vivideo/cocu-laat-zijn-ploeg-logischer-spelen-dan-de-boer.htm

Which of both trainers has the most logical way to let their team play? (formations, player line-ups and general tactics). Both guys answer Cocu, who over time developed his tactical vision for PSV. De Boer does adjust his tactics on whether the opponent chooses to play with 2 strikers for instance, but usually fails to have that pay off. An example here was a game against Rapid Wien.

In terms of who makes the best substitutions is a bit divided. An argument used is that Cocu's subs have been involved in 16 goals, whereas that number is 12 for De Boer. What typifies De Boer's style is that he always subs a defender for a defender or a striker for a striker.

Cocu would be more of a people manager, who was maybe a bit too much of a "fellow player" in the beginning rather than an authoritary manager. De Boer has more authority who is able to really scold players if needed and set examples.

Also keep in mind that De Boer's European results were very disappointing and that's probably partly down to the decay of the overall quality of the Ajax team under his command. He's rather boring tactically, as well as simply not very gifted in that respect. What he does do is that he's "allergic" to players not being concentrated for the full 90' and that way giving away goals and games.

Too much coincidence that De Boer has left and Martinez has finally been sacked. I think De Boer would be a good appointment especially if he can bring Bergkamp and Stam with him. We'd be able to attract big names.

I'd only be happy if all 3 came, not sure about him on his own. Continuity for him would pay dividends for us, on top of having footballing royalty to attract players.