IGNORED

Now Martinez has gone, who should get the nod...

Lowensda

They won't pay him for the full 3 years that's why they're negotiating a pay off.

I was trying to be logical. If he's paid £4m a year and the reported compo is £12m, doesn't that just equal 3 years worth of pay, coincidentally the same time he had left on his contract?

Edited by Lowensda

I was trying to be logical. If he's paid £4m a year and the compo is £12m, doesn't that just equal 3 years worth of pay, coincidentally the same time he had left on his contract.

That's what I thought but an agent's replied to an article on Twitter saying that the 12 million pound compensation figure is way out.

I hope he's right anyway paying him 4 million a year to demotivate a team as he has is bad enough never mind for sitting on his arse at home!

I hope it's Moshiri that chooses the next manager. I don't want Bill choosing or really having any say in the matter tbh. The only thing I want in our manager is one that will get Everton winning. I don't give a shit if they're nice or an arsehole. I don't care if they fall in love with the club. Just be a success.

Whoever we want as our next manager, let's just go all out for them and get them here. No fucking about.

I hope it's Moshiri that chooses the next manager. I don't want Bill choosing or really having any say in the matter tbh. The only thing I want in our manager is one that will get Everton winning. I don't give a shit if they're nice or an arsehole. I don't care if they fall in love with the club. Just be a success.

Whoever we want as our next manager, let's just go all out for them and get them here. No fucking about.

I personally can't deal with Bill doing another "What. A. Manager."

Too much coincidence that De Boer has left and Martinez has finally been sacked. I think De Boer would be a good appointment especially if he can bring Bergkamp and Stam with him. We'd be able to attract big names.

I'd like to see De Boer, but I don't think there is "too much coincidence" in the matter, he didn't win the league, so he resigned, then Martinez got the sack because the board realised how toxic it would be on the final day of the season and didn't want the awards gatecrashed. I have no doubt that the board had every incentive to sack RM after the season ended though.

Let's keep out feet on the ground and just realise that at this moment it's just coincidence.

Edited by AidanLewis

I'd like to see De Boer, but I don't think there is "too much coincidence" in the matter, he didn't win the league, so he resigned, then Martinez got the sack because the board realised how toxic it would be on the final day of the season and didn't want the awards gatecrashed. I have no doubt that the board had every incentive to sack RM after the season ended though.

Let's keep out feet on the ground and just realise that at this moment it's just coincidence.

No he'll be the next manager. Why wouldn't you wait and go at end of season. Oh yere, cause Everton have tapped you up and said after last night they're moving their plans forward. Plus this will go some way to appease the fans and make the last game with him in the stands a better note to end the season. Edited by barryj

If Stam and bergkamp come then yes to De Boer, but I'd take pellegrini in a heartbeat as well! We cannot afford another up and manager, we have to go for experience! Experience of winning cups and titles and European competition!

completely agree. that's why i want pelligrini or koeman. they know the premier league.

If Stam and bergkamp come then yes to De Boer, but I'd take pellegrini in a heartbeat as well! We cannot afford another up and coming manager, we have to go for experience! Experience of winning cups and titles and European competition!

Yeah pellegrini knows the premier league

Edited by mogsy

While I remain an admirer of Roberto Martinez, and am convinced he'll prove to be a top manager in Britain and/or in Spain, today's decision was inevitable. This is a results-oriented business, and the frantic daily Internet-led changes in momentum of today's world are incompatible with patience. Even looking back at these forums, while things had been brewing for a while, it took maybe a week for a big majority to switch from being hopeful and open-minded to strongly opposed to his continued tenure. Arsene Wenger may soon find this out, too. The more time passes, the less the patience and the lower the average tenure of any manager. With some clubs, it's now down to a matter of weeks.

But we've really struggled of late, and there are no obvious signs of improvement. I agree that basic defensive rigour, that should always be there, has gone out the window. Every corner and every set-piece has become a heart-in-mouth moment. While our defence mostly consists of international players, you'd never know it. How ever could they be performing so badly and conceding so many goals? This needs fixing - and fixing quickly. Up front, we've been very dependent on the goal-scoring ability of Lukaku. Despite his public statements to the contrary, you can tell pretty much when he decided to move on at the end of the season, because his heart's no longer in it. I disagree with Haf and others that he's overrated or lazy: instead, he's a player who must be motivated. When you're already planning your next move, you aren't motivated to do your best with your current club.

The biggest concern, though, is in midfield. Most great teams achieve great things because they dominate in midfield. McCarthy had the potential to be part of a strong midfield, but he's not the same player after his injury. Gareth Barry is clearly aging, Cleverley runs hot and cold, and Barkley is Barkley. The team's biggest need right now is for a strong midfield general (and captain), someone who leads and inspires and never ever gives up. There are few such players, but I hope we find one.

In goal, I'm personally not so concerned with Robles, but we do need another strong keeper. In other positions, the bench has a lot of potential, especially with youngsters coming through, but there's deadwood to be stripped away. Now's the time to be ruthless in that regard. Kone has not worked out, and neither has McGeady. Pienaar is well past his prime. While it's too early to be definitive, there are concerns about Niasse.

With Martinez's departure, though, I really hope we don't change long-term strategy: build a young team that can play together for several years. Keep investing in Finch Farm. Keep loaning out young, promising players. Keep allowing young players to be themselves on the field. Keep playing attractive football and not dour defensive games. Keep that spark that, from time to time, revealed itself. We want to win, but we want to dominate in all aspects of the game and generate excitement.

My other concern is that we may lose several of the players close to Martinez and lose the growing relationship with Barcelona. Will players like Deulofeu, Funes Mori, Robles, and other Spanish speakers remain? Maybe we can bring in another Spanish-speaking manager, because I'd hate to see those guys leave. (Having traveled the world a lot, there's no doubt that we feel most at home when working for a manager and colleagues who know our language and culture).

Personally, I'm not inspired by the list of names in the vote we have for new manager. At one point, I would have considered Pellegrini, because he has the right demeanor - but I've been disappointed by his hey-ho shrugging at recent poor performances of Manchester City. This may not be surprising, however, since the owners there made clear months ago they would throw him out. Benitez? No way. Moyes? You must be kidding! Eddie Howe, despite a difficult season at Bournemouth, ought to be a candidate. I'd prefer someone young, although Ranieri has shown the value of experience - so the point could be argued either way.

In the end, Martinez is a decent guy. As mentioned above, I'm sure he'll prove he's also a good manager: Time will tell. I certainly wish him well. It's important for clubs to have BHAGs, and he made that clear in his first press conference. But, in the end, bold statement must be matched by real results - and he failed to deliver in the last two seasons. Two semifinal appearances are "close but no cigar." The trophy room remains empty - although let's not forget that trophies every year is more important than one-off short-term success. Onward and upward.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Ferguson has been well short of his reputation.... He's pretty much sat there looking on.... No emotion fuck all.

I know you may disagree but Ferguson was brought in to work with the strikers Lukaku scores over 20 think he's done OK. In fact I bet hes mortified about the whole situation he's as much an evertonian as you and me.

steve good post. i don't think gerry or mori will be troubled by it. mori was plying his trade in argentina and now is making mega bucks in a massive league. gerry was riding the pine at Barca, he is happy to be at a club where he can start regularly. robles it doesn't matter if he doesn't like it, he's not been sensational so i'm not too worried about him.

i think they'll be fine.