• Low
    • Pelligrini
    • Hughes
    • O'Neill
    • Emery
    • Moyes
    • Somebody else
    • Simeone

Tbf about the U23 statement he did say it more in relation to the midfielders and it made perfect sense, because he went on to say how strong we are in midfield for the first-team (and one of those midfielders is someone who came from the U23s). Which is true, meaning it will be more or less impossible for them to get a call-up. No keeper is going to be called up either. Same goes for up front, other than the U23 already promoted in Calvert-Lewin. And Pennington is the defender he sees coming through, as stated in the article.

It sounded bad when I read the title of the article, but it's anything of the sort.

That's how I read it.

At Soton Koeman pretty much slated thr academy and said none of them were good enough for first team football. Here he is saying we already have some lads in the first team, we are very competitive already in midfield and that Pennington is the most likely to come through given where he plays and our lack of depth in that position. If anything I would take it as a positive comment from him about our academy, not many other teams have 3 U23 players in the first team squad and have the manager eyeing a 4th.

In place of who?

Because, to me, this is basically what Koeman is saying. It's tough to get these guys in the first time because it's already competitive for places.

So to give someone a chance, one of the, at the moment anyway, top performers have to be dropped.

Barkley had some dire spells and I've seen Kone get minutes. If rather someone young and hungry have a go. Doesn't have to be every week, but the rawness youth players offer can catch teams out.

Barkley had some dire spells and I've seen Kone get minutes. If rather someone young and hungry have a go. Doesn't have to be every week, but the rawness youth players offer can catch teams out.

Unsworth said that until fairly recently Dowell hasn't been performing as well as he could for the U23s this season, that it's taken him sometime to get going, so I don't think he'd earned a call-up to the first team at any point earlier in the season.

Can I ask a question that will probably cause a bit of debate?

When is a 'purple patch' of league form no longer a purple patch, but is the norm??!!

The reason I ask is that when we had a bad run of one win in 10 games (Oct - early Dec), it was enough for the Koeman doubters to be proven correct. Don't need to go into that one too much.

Our recent run of form (Mid Dec - Now) is now 11 games long with just one defeat in there. The hardest critic will still say it's just a run etc.

What you thinking?

When is a 'purple patch' of league form no longer a purple patch, but is the norm??!!

The reason I ask is that when we had a bad run of one win in 10 games (Oct - early Dec), it was enough for the Koeman doubters to be proven correct. Don't need to go into that one too much.

Our recent run of form (Mid Dec - Now) is now 11 games long with just one defeat in there. The hardest critic will still say it's just a run etc.

What you thinking?

I'm thinking if that's the norm and not a good run, then we are going to win the league next season with only 3-4 loses a long the way.

Can't see it Newty so let's just call it a good run, and long may it continue.

I'm thinking if that's the norm and not a good run, then we are going to win the league next season with only 3-4 loses a long the way.

Can't see it Newty so let's just call it a good run, and long may it continue.

Yeah. Probs not worded right.

Take away the norm part, at which point is it no longer a purple patch and Koeman turns doubters minds? If a 10 game bad run was enough to have him considered sackable, do those same people now say 'actually, he's alright. He can have some proper time....'

You know what I mean?!

Are you bored again Newty? Serious baiting if I've ever seen it.

I don't do bored. If you think it's baiting, that's totally upto you. Ignore it and move on. No harm done. Don't involve yourself. It's that easy.

Others may like to take part in a conversation about what they thought about Koeman then compared to what they think now. Some might like to say they still aren't convinced, some might say he's done a bit more to convince them etc.

It would be interesting to know. At what point does it turn the mindset? At what point is it no longer a purple patch but a deliberate run of results? Where are people at in terms of that bad run against this good run?

Yeah. Probs not worded right.

Take away the norm part, at which point is it no longer a purple patch and Koeman turns doubters minds? If a 10 game bad run was enough to have him considered sackable, do those same people now say 'actually, he's alright. He can have some proper time....'

You know what I mean?!

I get what your saying, as probably one of his worst critic's when we were on that miserable run, I didn't think he had clue what he was doing, especially with the constant changes to the formation and players.

Now he seems to have started playing a regular line up and formation we have looked stronger and the players are looking more like a team that knows what it's doing.

I know I let my heart rule my head when running him down, but I'm not going to apologise for that, and I still truly believe he made some bad decisions tactically and verbally which have left me with a sour taste that's still there.

But it's a results industry and he's doing the business so I'm more than happy cause the team I love are winning.

I get what your saying, as probably one of his worst critic's when we were on that miserable run, I didn't think he had clue what he was doing, especially with the constant changes to the formation and players.

Now he seems to have started playing a regular line up and formation we have looked stronger and the players are looking more like a team that knows what it's doing.

I know I let my heart rule my head when running him down, but I'm not going to apologise for that, and I still truly believe he made some bad decisions tactically and verbally which have left me with a sour taste that's still there.

But it's a results industry and he's doing the business so I'm more than happy cause the team I love are winning.

Yeah. I remember some doubt crept in for me around, I think, late November- early December. I mean, we were playing atrocious stuff. It was concerning. I remember reminding myself that I expected this season to be frustrating and didn't expect anything better than 8th, like most of us really.

Some don't like his bold comments. I personally think it's what the club needs. So I've always been OK with that.

I still see the line ups, for example at home to Sunderland on Saturday, and the first thing I think is 'too defensive'. But that's his way. In his 2 years at Soton, they had one of the best defences in the league. And we needed that too! Yeah, I do find it hard seeing just 3 out and out attacking players start. But as you say, it's a results industry.

What you thinking?

We are certainly playing much better but we haven't proven anything yet. From memory the only decent team we have played in that patch was City. We played well against Arsenal before that but otherwise we have still drawn with Hull, Borough and Stoke and lost at Leicester.

Our next 5 games will show us where we really are. Spurs, the shite, United are all tough games and Hull are stronger now and West Brom are on our heels. Come out of them with 10+ points and thats good, come out with 6 or less then that's poor.

Generally speaking though we are a much better side now. The young lads have come in, we have players in more familiar roles and confidence has been restored.

A couple of tough markers being set here!

With that, I'm thinking if we beat the 'top' teams, aswell as the rest as we have done, that makes us champs??? As there's not much else to beat!!!

It might be that we don't do so well in the upcoming games against spurs, shite and United (have we ever done well against all the top 5/6 in one season???)...might just mean that we are firmly a 7th place team. So we need more signings of Morgan's calibre to make that next step.

So far we've played the new Sky Top 6 seven times this season...W2 D3 L2. Not amazing, but not disastrous either.

Edited by Newty82

We are certainly playing much better but we haven't proven anything yet. From memory the only decent team we have played in that patch was City. We played well against Arsenal before that but otherwise we have still drawn with Hull, Borough and Stoke and lost at Leicester.

Our next 5 games will show us where we really are. Spurs, the shite, United are all tough games and Hull are stronger now and West Brom are on our heels. Come out of them with 10+ points and thats good, come out with 6 or less then that's poor.

Generally speaking though we are a much better side now. The young lads have come in, we have players in more familiar roles and confidence has been restored.

That's right the next five games will give us a much better idea of how far we have come so far this season, I know we are not going to win everyone of those games, and I can except defeat if we have shown the desire to win and looked like we could or should have won.

This is a very interesting phase of our season coming up and I'm feeling very optimistic about it, just hope we don't flop at Spurs and Koeman has a rush of blood to the head and starts chopping and changing whole sale as in the past, we need belief in what we are doing and the manager needs to believe in his players, which I think Koeman is showing now and the players are responding to that.

The only gripe I have is when we play a straight back four we fill the midfield with to many defensive players, I'd much rather the back three setup we've in my opinion looked our best in that formation.

There's a great buzz around the club at the moment. I've never been so excited as a fan. We're going places. I've never been so confident. We have a fantastic majority shareholder who has real ambition and that's being pushed right through our club to our manager, our players and our academy. If we manage to announce the new stadium (I'm crossing everything) then this summer will be huge in terms of players coming in - I'm certain of it. We can wave goodbye to the dead wood and mediocre transfer targets and really push to sign quality players who will vastly improve the squad. I have a great feeling about the next five years as an Evertonian.

I was neutral when Koeman came in and when we went cheaply out of the cups, losing to Norwich at home and not managing to take Bournemouth to a replay, doubt crept in. With hindsight I think the players took time to adapt to his methods after a soft time under Martinez. They look much fitter now and new faces in the first team have definitely made a difference. Purple patch for sure against teams we ought to beat but don't think our upcoming 'top teams' opposition will be taking it for granted that we'll roll over.