IGNORED

Cuco Martina

14 hours ago, Matt said:

He’s always had it. Trouble is he’s neither a full back nor a winger. 

I don't think that's true. His left foot mostly looks like it's not even good for standing on.

But that was a lovely cross the other night. It surprised me that much I actually went back to check it came from him.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/12/15/sam-allardyce

I have been really pleased with Cuco, too. He has done a sterling job in bringing some stability back to the team. Apart from a little slip against Liverpool, where Mohamed Salah has taken full advantage with a brilliant goal, Cuco had mastered him on the day. That shows just how good a defender this lad really is. 

Again the other night [against Newcastle], not only was his defensive performance very good but in possession he was strong. He started to venture forward more, keeping possession and moving the ball forward. It has surprised me and I am very pleased about that. He has done a fantastic job for the team and for himself, in a position that is not his natural one. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't think that's true. His left foot mostly looks like it's not even good for standing on.

But that was a lovely cross the other night. It surprised me that much I actually went back to check it came from him.

He’s nowhere near as bad as people make out. He’s distinctly average and part of the criticism is that we were throwing money around then brought him in free. 

Hes here as a stopgap and he’s been shite, ok and good, but mostly just OK. At least, in my opinion 

9 hours ago, pete0 said:

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/12/15/sam-allardyce

I have been really pleased with Cuco, too. He has done a sterling job in bringing some stability back to the team. Apart from a little slip against Liverpool, where Mohamed Salah has taken full advantage with a brilliant goal......

I agree.

But doesn't this dispel the role Gana is supposed to have played in the goal then?!

1 minute ago, Newty82 said:

I agree.

But doesn't this dispel the role Gana is supposed to have played in the goal then?!

Don't see how any one would jump to that conclusion, he's mentioned the slip not analysed the goal. 

Me and Palfy have already pointed out exactly why it's on Gana's head. I don't see how any one cannot see that Gana is out of position and I cba baby spooning it any further. 

8 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Don't see how any one would jump to that conclusion, he's mentioned the slip not analysed the goal. 

Me and Palfy have already pointed out exactly why it's on Gana's head. I don't see how any one cannot see that Gana is out of position and I cba baby spooning it any further. 

Haha!!! Don't be nasty Pete.

I do like a good spooning though. So, yeah, when your ready big boy....

4 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He is a shockingly bad player.

Fat Sam has no choice but to build him up as there is no alternative until a replacement is brought in.

Well given a choice of who knows what there taking about I would pick Allardyce, no malice intended London but he's more knowledgeable than you at this business.

8 hours ago, London Blue said:

He is a shockingly bad player.

Fat Sam has no choice but to build him up as there is no alternative until a replacement is brought in.

He could easily put Kenny and Hilgate as full backs and bring Jags into the middle.

If he is a liability and still getting picked, then we need to get rid of Sam now. We can’t have another weak manager at the helm.

or maybe Sam is right. 

10 hours ago, Palfy said:

Well given a choice of who knows what there taking about I would pick Allardyce, no malice intended London but he's more knowledgeable than you at this business.

None taken. Much as it pains me to say it Sam does know more about football than me. We have no choice than to play coco as playing Kenny out of position when he his playing do well at right back would be stupid imho. Therefore until we replace him we are stuck with him, so coco needs his confidence built up.

It's just when i have watched coco play it feels like a mistake from him is moments away, and all to regularly it was. He was Southampton's third choice right back for a reason.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

He could easily put Kenny and Hilgate as full backs and bring Jags into the middle.

If he is a liability and still getting picked, then we need to get rid of Sam now. We can’t have another weak manager at the helm.

or maybe Sam is right. 

As I said moving 2 young players out of their positions when they are playing well just to cover off a poor left back would be silly. Sam knows this which is why he plays coco and tries to make him better.

5 hours ago, London Blue said:

As I said moving 2 young players out of their positions when they are playing well just to cover off a poor left back would be silly. Sam knows this which is why he plays coco and tries to make him better.

I do agree that he plays him there more out of necessity rather than choice and I also agree with Allardyce when he praises him for doing a good job under the circumstances he spoke of, what I don't agree with is some of the negative stuff been written on this thread about him which hasn't been measured. 

Do you think Allardyce is lying when he said what he said about Cuco, and he isn'tt a left back so if he put Holgate or Kenny there would it be any better if so why doesn't he then he could switch Cuco back on his stronger side, they may be worse than him on that side I'm sure they've looked at all options on the training pitch, he should be commended for his efforts it's obvious he is the best option we have at the moment, so let's give him a bit of credit for playing a position he is not suited for, one goal conceded in the last four games from where we were I'd say that's bloody good and he's played part in that.

6 hours ago, London Blue said:

I agree, it would be silly as Sam rates Cuco higher than most on here do.

If he thought he was a liability, then the smart move would be to replace him, even if it is with a U23 player. 

Would you rather have a liability or inexperienced player there?

my guess is that Sam thinks Cuco can do a decent enough job there until he finds a replacement. And I would agree with him to be fair.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Played very well tonight I thought. 

I agree not a natural LB but did a good job, plus his passing was top never gave the ball away with a misplaced pass, and always looking to go forward and take the game to them, Baines could struggle to get his place back imo do we really want someone who puts the brakes on when he gets 10 yards over the half way line, and his passing at best is sideways but mainly backwards, I think Cuco as done well and we haven't missed Baines, we had one shout of Cuco is his usual shit self, that person (nyblue) needs to quantify that a shocking thing to say about a player who done pretty well, bandwagon comes to mind.

Now without trying to sound like the Cocu Martina fan club get behind the guy and give him some credit, it's beginning to sound like the Niasse thread all over again.

I think a lot of people grab a rail and hold on. The see someone criticise him and join in without really forming their own opinion. 

Im surprised he hasn’t been mentioned in the Brexit thread.

Thougt he played well tonight. His tracking back was spot in and his attacking play was just what we needed. He linked up well with Rooney a few times in their third.

5 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He looked like he had some confidence in this game, instead of looking like he'd shat himself and really needed to get in the changing room to give himself a quick wipe.

:lol:

Do you write Christmas card greetings as well?

To be fair, he played better this game, very good going forward and ok at the back, although there were a few times he got beaten by his man, then was just jogging back.

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Thought he was getting exposed first half and their chances generally came from his side but as the game went on he got better and better. 

Your right he was getting caught out a couple of times one on one in the first half, and I think Allardyce noticed what was happening and told Gylfi he had an obligation to help with defending the same as Lennon was doing on his side, the second half was a lot better and you can see Gylfi backing him up a lot more which worked better.

• 2 weeks later...