IGNORED

Cuco Martina

11 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I do feel sorry for him , he is being asked to do a job week in week out that he is blatantly not capable of doing

He is the worst RB defensively I’ve ever seen but at least when he plays in his normal position he offers something going forward because on his right foot he can put a decent cross in . By playing him on the left you take away his only good attribute and he becomes a complete waste of a jersey

He's being made to look worse because we don't have a left-footed winger either. In turn he makes the winger look worse because he can't go on the overlap and wants to come inside on his right foot too. It's slowing us down so much, and is a vicious circle.

If just one of them on that side was left-footed we'd be a lot better. Instead, it's two-fold.

One of the signal advantages of going 3 at the back is that any 3 of Keane, Jagielka, Williams, Holgate, and even Kenny is likely to be a less-bad-option than any 4 including Martina.  Earlier in the season I referred to him as NoLeftFootWhatsoever, but actually with practice he does occasionally use his left foot.  Not a lot, just occasionally, and opponents know he wants to get it on his right, so going forward he's rarely effective.  Much, much more damaging is his legs-confused defending.

To be fair, he's been put in a horrible position (pun intended, I guess) by the club's transfer-market incompetence.  I imagine he knows what's being said about him and has been told by Allardyce to work on improving.  But everyone knows, including Martina, that he's not a LB and never will be.

46 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

One of the signal advantages of going 3 at the back is that any 3 of Keane, Jagielka, Williams, Holgate, and even Kenny is likely to be a less-bad-option than any 4 including Martina.  Earlier in the season I referred to him as NoLeftFootWhatsoever, but actually with practice he does occasionally use his left foot.  Not a lot, just occasionally, and opponents know he wants to get it on his right, so going forward he's rarely effective.  Much, much more damaging is his legs-confused defending.

To be fair, he's been put in a horrible position (pun intended, I guess) by the club's transfer-market incompetence.  I imagine he knows what's being said about him and has been told by Allardyce to work on improving.  But everyone knows, including Martina, that he's not a LB and never will be.

He's not a RB, either, at least at any level above an American middle school recess. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Yeah he did well , I was screaming at him not to make the foul at the time!

Also deserves credit for his goal line clearance , still shit though!

Well, I still wouldn't go that far. But, he was instrumental in the win in helping creating a goal, and preventing one. Didn't see the game so I can't say more, but those 2 incidents at least deserve some praise (the goal line clearance did in fairness)

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

He still had his Chuckle brother moments but he had more good moments for a change. 

Always going to playing in a shit team, with no one supporting in front of him, in the wrong position, disliked by fans and not the best player at the best of times. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

"The 28-year-old lined-up alongside Ireland international Coleman in defence on Saturday as the Toffees suffered a narrow 1-0 loss to Javi Gracia's Watford at Vicarage Road."

Cunningly disguised as Jonjoe Kenny:rolleyes:.

11 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

While I don't think Martina is that great of a player, I admire his humble nature. He's kind of a Niasse to me where I know he's not really at this level, but I feel good when he does something good. His work-rate has improved tremendously.

This. Can't fault the lad. He's been trying all season, he just clearly belongs in the Championship or in the Dutch League or something. 

I think people are very hard on him.

There are are a whole boat if players much worse than him that make a living in the premier league. He is clearly good enough to play in this league.... as he simply does. Managers pick him and picked him before he came here.

He may be unfancied bybus and he isn’t the player to take us to the next step. But he is performing better than many senior pros in our team.... and for that I give him credit.

He clearly isn'tt good enough to get us to were we want to go but I'm not going hurl a tirade of abuse at him for being picked and trying his best, there are more than him in that category, in fact I would say more than half the current squad are batting above their station.

Which brings me on to Gana! No I won't go there he's the favourite of to many and this is the wrong thread.

• 5 months later...
51 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Are they going to reimburse the fans that had Cuco Martina shirts printed for this season?

Heard both of them are livid.

Had me then....until you said 'both'!

Think he'll do well down in the Champ. More that level. I never thought he was that bad defensively but is not cut out for the role of a modern Premiership full back...especially playing on his opposite side. Another player made to look worse than he is by our poor policies of last season.

Seems a great pro though.